Miguel Torres gets kicked in the knee Jones-style, and it implodes

yikes i hate watching that stuff but shows how devastating it can be

That looked like it hit the side of the knee, not the thigh. It could just be the speed at which the knee buckled. Right now its a freak occurance, but I can see that move getting some scrutiny and potentially a rule change if it happens a few more times, or in a high profile fight.

Right now its still much safer than heel hooks, checking kicks, blocking kicks with the forearms, and slams. Those are all still legal.

and the fall of Torres continues....

That looked like it hit the side of the knee, not the thigh. It could just be the speed at which the knee buckled. Right now its a freak occurance, but I can see that move getting some scrutiny and potentially a rule change if it happens a few more times, or in a high profile fight.

Right now its still much safer than heel hooks, checking kicks, blocking kicks with the forearms, and slams. Those are all still legal.

i really dont like the Rep Heel Hooks get in a sport where guys are allowed to knee you in the face i want grapplers to be able to fuck someones knee up

Damn, right to the side of the knee. :(

What the hell is poor Torres doing in kicboxing anyway, after losing via KO to Desmon Green out of all people....

Torres reminds me a lot of Huerta, Lombard and Barao.

i really dont like the Rep Heel Hooks get in a sport where guys are allowed to knee you in the face i want grapplers to be able to fuck someones knee up

I'm not taking a moral stance on heel hooks.

I'm pretty certain they are the highest frequency of injury per application in the sport, but this is fighting. These guys have made peace with hurting others and getting hurt. I leave the commissions to decide where the edge of the moral grey area is.

Well Jones and many target the knee and not the thigh.
And it's different than checking kicks and things like those because broken bones if treated properly heal very well joint injuries especially knee injuries are the worst thing that can happen to an athlete

Nasty.
Torres needs to retire from combat sports, he's taken a bruising over the years and this will be a tough injury to come back from.

Nasty.
Torres needs to retire from combat sports, he's taken a bruising over the years and this will be a tough injury to come back from.

I was just about to say the guy has taken a tremendous amount of damage from huge cuts to major concussions and now a nasty knee injury. He should retire for his own safety. That McDonald knock out took the last that was left of him. Sucks to see a champ go downhill like that but its the reality of atheltes.

Well Jones and many target the knee and not the thigh.
And it's different than checking kicks and things like those because broken bones if treated properly heal very well joint injuries especially knee injuries are the worst thing that can happen to an athlete

I don't think I've ever seen Jones strike the knee. The thigh right above it, but never the knee that I can think of.

I was only factoring in the likelihood of causing serious injury, not the potential long term effects, but if joint damage is the primary concern then I wonder where the outrage is surrounding joint targeting submissions.

There have to be 3 or 4 high profile fights a year where a joint lock goes too far. Probably a title fight every year (Rousey Tate, Jones Vitor, Palhares Fitch). Did Ronda's armbar on Tate not target the joint?

AnHlkNBCQAAjKWN_medium.jpg

Is that actually legal in kickboxing?

its illegal in kickboxing.

i dont have any moral position on it, i'm indifferent. if a fighter signs up for it in an mma fight, then he knows what he's getting himself into.

but in the case of kickboxing, if it's illegal then the ref should do whatever is necessary according to the rules.

Michał Materla got dropped by Jay Silva in similar way:

materlavssilva2.gif

In their first fight on KSW 19, I think.

Ouch.

Bad luck that he turned his leg to throw the jab at the same time. If he'd taken it front on, it wouldn't have done that much damage.

Nasty.

It sucks to see how hard he fell, I use to really enjoy his fights.

Back