Mighty Mouse on why Khabib isn't on his GOAT list

lol, Mighty Manlet's defenses were 80% garbage.

MM's right.

I can't believe some think it's atypical for a GOAT candidate to have rematches since "he would probably beat them anyways".

Consistency once you've reached the peak is a challenge onto its own.
You can't be considered the GOAT and not have a long rein of title defenses. Hell Khabib is also too damn injury prone and don't fight much. That has to be considered when compared to the best of the best like GSP, Silva, Jon, Fedor and MM. Granted Fedor fought under different circumstances during his run. But he was there fighting and staying active.

If Khabib would stick around and defend the belt for another 2 years or so (about 6 more fights +) then you can really make an argument for him being #1 if he doesn't lose and keeps looking good.

That's just like, uh, his opinion, man.

thats-just-like-your-opinion-man_1_.jpg

Nothing harder than defending your title....time after time, after time, after time.

If you do it long enough you end up fighting guys which, were inspired by your reign as a title holder. They have studied you for years, emulated you and hoping one day to fight you.
Its really a bridge too far..

Yeah Khabib hasn't fought enough and also I don't get how 155 is supposed to be so good. Most of DJ's opponents were very well rounded, Khabib has mostly beaten strikers. Iaquinta was in the top 5 last year ffs, 155 is overrated.
I’ve said this time and time again as well, and not even to disparage Khabib. 155 is full of really good fighters and the top 7 of 8 has solid parity, but none of them are “great” except Khabib and Conor.

Is Khabib GOAT - NO! He doesn't have the resume - BUT ........ Khabib IMO has the GOAT aura of being invincible. ONly Fedor , Bones, and Anderson had something like it but IMO not as much as Khabib. Had Khabib been able to get title fights 5 years ago I think he is GOAT. An I am no fan of Khabib

Khabib is more resposible for ppv buys in his fight Gaethje than MM in his entire career.

The guy is about as interesting as watching paint dry and was the main reason they were going to scrap the division.

Why so salty? He starched Cejudo and got robbed in the rematch. Starched Benavidez who went to a SD with Cruz, dominated Dodson who starched TJ. The DJ that fought Cruz wasn't even close to the same fighter that dominated the 125lb division, wish he would have went back up. In hindsight he really should have let TJ half kill himself to make weight, would have been an easy night.
He didn't get robbed. He lost a close fight. All he really did was defend beyond the leg kicks early on. If they did a trilogy I'd be very confident in Cejudo.
Defending your belt against scrubs doesn't mean much. Schev could defend her belt for years, there is no other high level competition to be seen for miles.
Level of competition Khabib > MM by FAR.
Goat list Khabib is above MM but below GSP, Fedor(Jones and spider too if you choose to ignore PEDS)

I’ve never understood the hate for MM. The guy is a hell of a fighter and respectable inside and outside of the ring.

Khabib is obviously great. But longevity is one of the fundamental pillars of any GOAT discussion. Three title defenses simply isn't enough to even be considered. Not even close. I don't think he needs to take rematches; in fact, I'd say that fresh challengers generally do more for a champion's legacy than rematches. And there are plenty of ranked guys Khabib hasn't fought; he's only fought 3 out of the current top 15.

It's pretty dubious to say someone is the GOAT when he hasn't cleaned out his division, meanwhile there are other fighters who have cleaned out divisions 2-times over.

Yeah Khabib hasn't fought enough and also I don't get how 155 is supposed to be so good. Most of DJ's opponents were very well rounded, Khabib has mostly beaten strikers. Iaquinta was in the top 5 last year ffs, 155 is overrated.
“Well rounded” the small guys look impressive because they’re fast, and HWs don’t because they’re slow. Tim Elliot is not a “well rounded” fighter.

Back