Mighty Mouse appreciation thread - let's see if anyone joins

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by emax, Aug 5, 2018.

1. emax

emax Black Belt

I figured I'd see if anyone would be willing to get in on this. Let's look at his legacy in the fight game thus far.

In terms of mastering grappling, kixkboxing, Jiu Jitsu and MMA movement, and blending these aspects together, he set new standards that we never really saw before. Jon Jones, Fedor, Anderson, GSP, as phenomenal as they all were, Mighty Mouse was in certain unique ways able to help MMA progress in ways even they weren't able to.

It's true that the FlyW division is not exactly LW or WW in terms of pure depth but the contenders he steamrolled were not tomato cans in the slightest. Benavidez, Cejudo in the first fight, Dodson in the 2nd fight, Horiguchi, Tim Elliot, all of them were great fighters in their own right and he put on near magical performances against each of them. The suplex transition into an armbar, the sheer speed of his Muay Thai strikes, how well he fought in the clinch, all stuff we never really saw from any other fighter.

In his most recent title loss we saw what happened when he took on one of the few Olympic gold medalists in MMA who was properly equipped over a sufficient period of time to enter the UFC. MMA is always going to heavily favor great wrestlers; in MMA, due to its judging and scoring, if your wrestling is strong enough, it gives you the ability to dictate the pace and direction of the fight even when the opponent is significantly better on other areas. Being an Olympic level wrestler will make your standup game inherently more dangerous as well since opponents will always have to contend with both simultaneously. Cormier was also able to use this to achieve similar success. And as awesome as his wrestling displays have been, he was an also ran at the Olympics while Cejudo was a gold medalist. And even with the most obscene advantage possible going into his MMA training, Mighty Mouse still took him to a SD win after having had the best possible preparation he could get. his insistence on cleaning out FlyW division this thoroughly before being willing to take on superfights with BW guys may have tarnished his legacy to some degree but it's still set in stone and it's still one of the biggest ones we've seen.

MM is at this point quite possibly in the top 10 all time fighters, for sure in the top 15, in terms of just how massive an impact he made and how drastically he raised the standards and changed the game.

Kwic, LC Shepard, Crockett and 14 others like this.
  2. TheIrishPsycho

TheIrishPsycho Whiskey Belt

MM was never any good.

Division was always far too weak,
    Didn't seek to challenge himself,
    Not enough decent guys who are so short and small,
    Just as laughable to include manlets in P4P discussion as it is to include women.

Guys like Jon Jones and GSP had to steamroll former P4P greats and champions before being considered....Mighty Mouse? He just had to beat up alot of guys who were no where near his ability level to make it onto that list - sorry I don't buy it.

Great fighter, super nice and smart guy but should never be discussed in the realms of GOATs.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    cyanogen, MuddyFugger, Yukito and 9 others like this.
  3. Sapp

Sapp Silver Belt

Top 10 of all time IMO.

Oachkazl, elfeliz, tsully and 2 others like this.
  4. emax

emax Black Belt

At this point trolling attempts have to be more well put together than this.

5. HaulParris

HaulParris Gold Belt

I respect Mighty Mouse. He’ll be back

ScarfaceJr likes this.
  6. TinkleMan

TinkleMan Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

7. 2arctanx

2arctanx Banned Banned

i like how graceful he was after his loss. he's still a duck though

8. Vergilius

Vergilius Purple Belt

Good fighter and champion. Got a raw deal last night, I thought. Hope he gets the rematch.

9. TheIrishPsycho

TheIrishPsycho Whiskey Belt

Not a troll attempt at all, was adding to my initial thoughts.

OK the statement is a little bit cunty, as MM is good but 'good' on the level that the UFC tries to market? No way.

He's a super skilled guy with a great coach but didn't take on the challenges that guy likes Anderson and GSP had to face.

Arn, Yukito and Joohnmatrix like this.
  10. pinkybrief

pinkybrief Silver Belt

Number 1 pound for pound

11. E Undead

E Undead Purple Belt

Hahahahaha

12. faixafrouxa

faixafrouxa Dembelt

He’s the great mouse of the shallow 125 lb division but P4P ATG. If they insta-rematch now, given how 50/50 this was, I wouldn’t be surprised if MM won the title back.

I’ve been bored out of 125 lb division and MM because even though he usually showed amazing skills and finished his opponents, it’s like I saw that domination coming from afar... it got boring, no excitement because everyone knew that he’d just outclass the opponent.

I just wished he’d start to work on getting the superfight on the headlines and then UFC would’ve probably given him a good payday too because there would have been hype around it now but he just sat silent in his little mouse home like a mouse that he is so you can’t just blame the ufc alone for not making it happen and for not paying him more. Generally they’re not getting paid enough so demanding more is justified but that’s another topic.

Now things are little different though. The division got shaken up so it’s exciting.

13. giovanni002

giovanni002 Silver Belt

He should've taken the TJ fight, if he lose, he lose to a champ at a higher weight class, but now he lost his prestigious streak to a fighter he's already beat.

MuddyFugger and Negator402 like this.
  14. CharliePotatoes

CharliePotatoes Banned Banned

[​IMG]

15. Danis_champ

Danis_champ Brown Belt

still p4p #2 imo. Conor and Max should not surpass him because of this close fight that could have gone to MM as well. He needs to win hi next fight and he will be the best again (assuming DC retires)

16. VVarhead

VVarhead Bullet Belt

This.
    100% truth.

MuddyFugger and Joohnmatrix like this.
  17. Job Interview

Job Interview Sticking in thumbs, pulling out plums

Great fighter

18. emax

emax Black Belt

Anderson during his title reign only once went up a weight class to fight a former champ, much less a champ at the time; he never took on a champion superfight as MM's critics called for. Neither did GSP. And Anderson and GSP's title reigns included some rather weak defenses as well. Anderson critics would go on for hours about how weak the competition level was at MW during his reign. And GSP's resume included Dan Hardy, Thiago Alves, Serra, all lower level than many of MM"s opponents. Any way you look at it, he's at least somewhat close to being in their catgory in terms of MMA legacies. Also I acknowledged that it did tarnish his legacy somewhat that he never took the Dillashaw fight.

19. Lawblaw

Lawblaw Black Belt

I always trashed him but he's one amazing fighter

20. flyingscissorsheelhook

flyingscissorsheelhook Brown Belt

He's a great fighter with great skills. All the best lose eventually. He's not done yet.

jsbx45 likes this.