1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Television Midnight Mass, Netflix

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by DavidsGhost, Oct 4, 2021.

1. CaptHANDSUP Purple Belt

The first season was good but not top 5 best horror shows ever. The next two seasons were dogshiiiiit

mime likes this.
  2. Texan6533 Fastest Gun in the West

i do think the director was saying that anyone who says God works in mysterious ways isn’t looking at all the facts (case in point, the ones that were right all along were the Muslims (in the end the son believed Christianity was wrong and prayed to Allah) and Atheists like the doctor). Toward the end, even Erin described death like an atheist, not a Christian as she dies. Then, all the psychopathic people (who drank the Kool-aid so to speak) toward the end of the series that were caught up in their faith but doing horrible things began to realize their mistake when it was too late. The only people that weren’t really into it towards the end were the ones that knew something was wrong.

I felt the director played up the “God is everywhere and works in mysterious ways” throughout the first three or four episodes so you could see the downfall of all the characters that thought that way as the truth came out about a vampire instead of legitimate Godly miracles.

I felt like the entire series was about a huge character turn for the entire village including the priest.

All in all a great series, no matter how we see it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  3. xenomorph4prez Brown Belt

Good stuff.

I had many of the same thoughts but considered that the scene of his drunk driving victim forgiving him was as he stated earlier in the series his body dumping all of his remaining DMT to make his passing less traumatic. This could also be said of Erin's death monologue as well. A lot of grey areas in the philosophy of the show is what makes it great imo.

Threetrees likes this.
  4. xenomorph4prez Brown Belt

My thoughts on the shows theme regarding religion or a lack there of.

I thought the shows overall theme was that religion was harmful. We can see this by the antagonist of the show which is very obviously a vampire being called an angel. Plain enough on the surface but why is the vampire not called a vampire? Why does no one seem to know what a vampire even is? Traditional vampires are harmed by faith via holy water, crucifixes and would not even be able to enter a church. These traditional aspects of vampire lore were removed because the show is pushing materialism and if faith harmed the angel that would go against the shows message. Even the origin of the shows evil speaks to this. The angel was found in the Holy Land where the priest went to walk in the footsteps of Christ. The scourge of the angel (vampire/religion) originated from the Holy Land. The shows final denouement given through Erin's dying monologue also states this in ways I don't think it even meant to. Erin's dying revelation is the cliched "life is the cosmos experiencing itself" idea. So if this is the case then there is no good or evil. Just life experiencing itself. The angel is not inherently evil because it too is just the cosmos experiencing itself. It is no more evil than a mosquito. When Erin states "I am that I am" she is quoting the name God gave to Moses. If Erin is God then the angel/vampire also is God. The show tries to make materialism romantic but if you can see through the facade it is as nuanced as "sometimes you are the cat, sometimes you are the mouse".

5. DavidsGhost Purple Belt Platinum Member

Stranger things - still need to watch 2 and 3

6. HereticBD Plutonium Belt

I'd keep your impression of the series locked on season 1. It's all downhill from there.

DavidsGhost likes this.
  7. Bubzeh Silver Belt

Nice to know Mayberry is full of Christianity bashing mongoloids.

8. Zookeeper Gabe Animal Feces Engineer

I need to finish it so I breezed past some of the spoilers in here. But one thing he does and I absolutely hate it is use younger actors and put a lot of makeup on to have them look older. I’m not sure if it’s his particular special effects artist or just his aesthetic but it looks like bad theater makeup

ufcfan4 likes this.
  9. Sirwastealot Silver Belt

I've just started watching and the old person makeup is horrible. Looks so fake its almost like they did it on purpose.

Zookeeper Gabe likes this.
  10. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

Binge watched over the past couple of days. Really good show. Draws you in. Excellent slow burn in the first three episodes or so.

Linklater like the boss of an actor that he is. I find it interesting because I used to watch that Old Christine show with Julia Louis Dreyfus, a pleasant enough, though unspectacular sitcom and Hamish was her brother and gave easily one of the funniest performances on the series. I hadn't seen much of his other work, so watching him here as the priest was pretty jarring. Completely different and intense role. Very good work by him.

But I think Siegel and Gilford really provided the emotional core of the show on one single scene on one single episode. That sequence on episode 4 where they discuss what they believe happens in death was legitimately touching. Very emotionally resonant and well done. There were many great scenes and performances but that one will stand out to me as something really worth revisiting.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  11. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

Which is weird cause they've had talented makeup artists master that craft for decades now. I'm pretty sure Hoffman in Little Big Man in the 70s looked way more convincing.

Zookeeper Gabe likes this.
  12. Bob Gray Deadlights Belt Platinum Member

Holy shit, this was good. A masterful example of slow burn and how to keep the intrigue as well as give the payoff.

I dont even know who played the priest. Dont recall seeing him before but he was fucking boss. He'd give his sermons and Id practically be "Fucking....yeah. Fucking Gods Army! Great things!".

The way Flanagan balanced the themes of vampirism and fanaticism worked so goddamn perfectly it was unreal. Flanagan is the kind of horror auteur Jordan Peele tries to be. He knows when less is more and uses it perfectly.

I'd have to watch it again at some point and really dissect it before I make a decision but this could be one of the best horror projects ever put on the screen, and certainly one of the better vampire stories.

GoldenAzazel, Dizzy, Bacco and 3 others like this.
  13. Bob Gray Deadlights Belt Platinum Member

The show was about fanaticism, imo. What Flanagan did so perfectly was show it from so many different angles and how it needs so many things to spark the fervor that brings good people to commit horrendous acts. You need a puppet master, the one that only sees it as a means for their own gain, the angel/vampire (using a good things to accomplish bad things). But you also need someone at the top thats a true believe but in denial and convinces themselves that theyre doing something bad but for a greater good (doing bad things, but for a seemingly good reason). But, it also helps to have someone whos doing bad things for bad reasons but convinces themselves that theyre being called for some higher purpose (the wacko chick everyone hated is doing bad things for bad reasons). Then you need followers that want to do good but are too hesitant to go against the wishes of the people in charge because theyve trusted them to know what theyre doing. And it starts slowly. You dont suddenly find yourself killing people. It's one little bad act (disposing of the homeless guys body) followed by increasingly worse acts until you're basically a thrall.

At the same time, it wasnt religion itself that was the problem. But people putting their "faith" in the wrong agent, and not trusting their own instincts to defy them.

Thats a really broad breakdown obviously, but goddamn Flanagan crafted it perfectly imo. The allusions to Jonestown/Heavens Gate cult, the super religious chick harboring xenophobia and resentment to the Muslim family despite the father being perfectly reasonable. The show itself wasnt perfect but as far as working the themes together it was extraordinary.

14. Tentacle Grape Yellow Belt

which is funny saying that religion is harmful when the objective data proves otherwise. Such as atheists are more likely to commit every crime than religious people...and that the most murderous people/regimes were hardcore atheists like the USSR and Maoist China.

15. sweetviolenturg Silver Belt Professional Fighter

Totally agree. It was a great example of long-form genre storytelling that I can't wait to watch again, My current situation dictated that I watch it on my Kindle HD10 rather than my 82" 4K UHD television & I barely noticed because I was so taken in by it & the performances.

Speaking of the performers, I was skeptical about enjoying it going in because the only thing that I'd seen the actor who played the priest in was some shitty comedy. So, I doubted if I'd be able to take him seriously. But I was taken in by his performance right away which was, of course, integral to the success of the entire project. He did a terrific job. As did everyone else as well.

Bacco, Bob Gray and ufcfan4 like this.
  16. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

Hamish Linklater was excellent. I think it was one of those compelling things about his performance where he was so convinced of what he was doing being right that you often got a shades of gray vibe from him rather than outright malevolence. He was great on an early 2000s sitcom with Julia Louis Dreyfus and Agent Coulson Clark Gregg. Stole his scenes routinely. But such a different character and performance that it really shows the mark of a good actor to watch him in those different roles.

additionally, the show really combined aspects of vampire lore, zombie lore, cult horror very well.

The poignant reflections on death from Gilford and Siegel really stole the series for me along with Linklater’s entire performance/presence.

17. Threetrees Free Jon Gruden

the sheriff is underrated

Riley and Siegel were meh

ufcfan4 likes this.
  18. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

I liked Gish as the doctor as well. Sheriff was very good. His scene with Gish was a standout.

I like how Flanagan has assembled this group of actors who appear in multiple projects of his. Sign of a quality director that people are clamoring to work with him again. That actress who played Bev gave me the creeps. So mission accomplished.

A.S. Deep and Threetrees like this.
  19. Threetrees Free Jon Gruden

Flanagans gets so much out of his actors for sure - I think that the strongest part of the show is the performances

ufcfan4 likes this.
  20. fingercuffs Bills Mafia Platinum Member

He's been in a few things I've seen, the most recent he's playing a rapist whose just got out of jail turned Private Eye, he is creepy as fuck. Tell Me Your Secrets was decent enough, but mainly only because of him. He was even a bit weird in Mad Men, he was pretty good in The Crazy Ones. I really like him as an actor.

Back to the show, I didn't even know it existed till Sunday morning and binged the lot in one day. I loved it, just the right mix of fear of God religion, vampires, and cults...right up my alley.
    Shame there won't be another one but it was flippin brilliant. I'm quite often fucking around on my phone at some point during a binge session but I was glued. Brutal that only 2 people survived, and I may have had something in his eye with sheriff and his son at the end.

sweetviolenturg and Bob Gray like this.