Television Midnight Mass, Netflix

DavidsGhost

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Spoilers bruh…

Did you see it? Best show I’ve watched in a while - well balanced, creepy but not too creepy, good pacing (slow at times), great pacing in terms of reveals, and probably B+ or A- acting from most of the cast.

All in all, it was pretty bad ass for an October surprise flick.

It's been sitting in my favs a hot minute maybe one day ..I'll watch

It's made by the same auteur that made The Haunting of Hill House: Mike Flanagan. Includes a lot of his co-collaborators from that project and Bly Manor that followed.

The Haunting of Hill House is the greatest ghost story ever told, IMO. It's #130 on IMDb's Top TV list, btw, but more impressively, the #5 highest-rated TV Horror of all-time behind The Twilight Zone, Over the Garden Wall, Stranger Things, and the X-Files. I cannot praise it highly enough.

Loved it. I'm a big fan of the writer/director Mike Flanagan & his frequent star, his wife, Kate Siegel. So, I watched it as soon as it debuted on Netflix last week & watched it over the course of two nights. Great stuff. In fact, since I'm at my daughter's place at the moment I watched it on my Kindle HD10 but as soon as I get my own place again I plan on rewatching MIDNIGHT MASS on my 82" 4K UHD television so I can enjoy it even more than I already did.

It's made by the same auteur that made The Haunting of Hill House: Mike Flanagan. Includes a lot of his co-collaborators from that project and Bly Manor that followed.

The Haunting of Hill House is the greatest ghost story ever told, IMO. It's #130 on IMDb's Top TV list, btw, but more impressively, the #5 highest-rated TV Horror of all-time behind The Twilight Zone, Over the Garden Wall, Stranger Things, and the X-Files. I cannot praise it highly enough.

I’ll have to check that one out. I do dig a good haunting flick

me and the gf really liked it..had a good balance of everything and kept you involved throughout..

Just finished it

Confirmed the fact it's very very good

If i must find some weak points on an overall positive experience surely

-some slowdowns with lot of speech occasionally ruin the pace, to be clear i'm not against it when said speech add deepth but some feel bit just redundant

-
everybody pretending to have never read book/seen movie/know legends about fucking VAMPIRES drive me mad considering how much despite being fantasy are a very common thing in our culture/pop culture.
The word itself is never mentioned iirc, aside maybe the woman doctor making vague mention about "legends" while speaking about what she consider an actual medical disease

-
The "angel"/vampire vague destiny being used in such obvious way to settle up a second season (where he reach the continent and kids are only ones knowing what's up) felt cheap as fuck, specially considering it killed the GREAT idea of having Erin taking advantage of the insane blood frenzy/trance of the monster to cripple his wings and trap him on the island... all that and he can still fly just well.
You have the kid trying to keep it legit being like "he's fucked, can BARELY fly" (something that did'nt even LOOKED that true) but everybody know it's bullshit

Spoilers bruh…

Did you see it? Best show I’ve watched in a while - well balanced, creepy but not too creepy, good pacing (slow at times), great pacing in terms of reveals, and probably B+ or A- acting from most of the cast.

All in all, it was pretty bad ass for an October surprise flick.
I watched it all and liked it, but was way too preachy/churchy for me. I grew up Roman Catholic and was forced into communion etc. but idgaf about religion as a whole. And I thought It was too forced in the show. But I’m also a loser and religion would probably improve my life? Idk.

Just finished it

Confirmed the fact it's very very good

If i must find some weak points on an overall positive experience surely

-some slowdowns with lot of speech occasionally ruin the pace, to be clear i'm not against it when said speech add deepth but some feel bit just redundant

-
everybody pretending to have never read book/seen movie/know legends about fucking VAMPIRES drive me mad considering how much despite being fantasy are a very common thing in our culture/pop culture.
The word itself is never mentioned iirc, aside maybe the woman doctor making vague mention about "legends" while speaking about what she consider an actual medical disease

-
The "angel"/vampire vague destiny being used in such obvious way to settle up a second season (where he reach the continent and kids are only ones knowing what's up) felt cheap as fuck, specially considering it killed the GREAT idea of having Erin taking advantage of the insane blood frenzy/trance of the monster to cripple his wings and trap him on the island... all that and he can still fly just well.
You have the kid trying to keep it legit being like "he's fucked, can BARELY fly" (something that did'nt even LOOKED that true) but everybody know it's bullshit

Nice commentary.

It did blow my mind that nobody was like get the fuckin garlic and let’s jam.

Also, I disagree about the ending. I read it definitely. The kid saying he can barley fly, told me they had regained the advantage in the story’s powers struggle. Also, the girl losing her ability really drove it home.

The author said it’s ambiguous, but I think I that’s just a wink and a nod to it having to be ambiguous…because it’s always up to interpretation in the end.

Also, I agree, That plot device was perfect, stopping him from flying.

Nice commentary.

It did blow my mind that nobody was like get the fuckin garlic and let’s jam.

Also, I disagree about the ending. I read it definitely. The kid saying he can barley fly, told me they had regained the advantage in the story’s powers struggle. Also, the girl losing her ability really drove it home.

The author said it’s ambiguous, but I think I that’s just a wink and a nod to it having to be ambiguous…because it’s always up to interpretation in the end.

Also, I agree, That plot device was perfect, stopping him from flying.

Yeah, I'm pretty confident Leeza losing the feeling in her legs meant the angel died.

As for the show, I LOVED it!!!

This and Hereditary are the only pieces of horror media that I've enjoyed as an adult. I rate this show that highly.

Excellent, dealt with loss of faith without coming across like a condescending edgelord. I related to quite a bit of it.

Pretty cool to read the backstory of Midnight Mass. essentially a work 15 years in the making. Well worth the wait.

Been a fan of Mike Flanagan’s work since I first saw Oculus and he continues to impress.

I watched it all and liked it, but was way too preachy/churchy for me. I grew up Roman Catholic and was forced into communion etc. but idgaf about religion as a whole. And I thought It was too forced in the show. But I’m also a loser and religion would probably improve my life? Idk.

Funny, I felt the opposite. Felt like the whole show was a magnum opus to atheism and how we shouldn’t fear death because we are just part of a greater universe and never really existed outside of our molecules just happening to form together. Maybe that’s just me….

Excellent, dealt with loss of faith without coming across like a condescending edgelord. I related to quite a bit of it.

Pretty cool to read the backstory of Midnight Mass. essentially a work 15 years in the making. Well worth the wait.

Been a fan of Mike Flanagan’s work since I first saw Oculus and he continues to impress.

Oh, yeah. Flanagan's had this one on the back burner brewing for a long time. In fact, I just rewatched his early film HUSH the other night & noticed that the deaf/mute protagonist's novel in progress is titled... MIDNIGHT MASS. And she's played by Kate Segel ( Flanagan's wife ) who played Erin in MM.

Wife watched it , thought it was good. Suggested we rewatch it together but I'm not really fussed .

Funny, I felt the opposite. Felt like the whole show was a magnum opus to atheism and how we shouldn’t fear death because we are just part of a greater universe and never really existed outside of our molecules just happening to form together. Maybe that’s just me….
I see it differently, or at least i think that what you said is only less of half of the interpretation that the director offer you

At same time you have the atheist take AND the "God works in mysterious ways", would actually say that the greater design option far outweight the there's no design option

Example RIley (bit long spoiler)
Riley is the key of everything
Is ironic the symbol of atheism is also the character that most proof God's design
Riley put himself in his own sufference (free will) but at same time that sufference is a gift because it's whole prison arc that allowed him to build the strenght to overcome his dependency and resist the thirst for alcohol.
That strenght is the one that later allowed him to resist the blood thirst and trigger all other good characters into do their part to interfere/stop the big vampire plan

Without that tragedy he will never had reason to return the island (as "coincidence" he got back just in time due expired jail time) or even the character/diffidence/atheism to NOT jump on the priest bandwagon when everybody else did
It's almost like God's design NEEDED Riley to become atheist, as the danger and the big lie came in the form of a priest that promise miracles

We may add the fact whole time he had (received) the dream that foreshadowed his destiny, he redeemed himself even gaining the girl forgiveness wich had his soul saved just in time for when he had to sacrify himself to achieve the greater good

We had a devil(vampire) corrupting a man of God (Father Paul), and yet a design that started years before that put his altar boy(Riley) in the position of stop all of that and save mankind

It's like the design is so perfect that at same time respect Riley's free will AND still put him exatly where he need to be

Genius line that one understand only at the end, is when episode 1 the ambulance guy see Riley pray and scold him with "ask God why he had lil girl dead and drunk shit alive"
Wich is the quintessence of the "works in mysterious ways" thing

The devil straight interfered with nature of things (the quake to open the lost cave, the vampire, use "magic" on the priest), while God countered it -years in advance- using only the results of people's free will

Devil tried to break God's design, but God's design already involved the counter for it

Best show I've watched in a while. I loved the themes of religion and death.

The ending was depressing but one of the best parts of the show. The illogical side of me hoped they'd turn it into a ten season milked shitshow where every season is inevitably more ridicolous than the last.

To me that shows that the worldbuilding and atmosphere in the show were so great that I wanted to stay there longer even though it was for the best that i didn't.

Reactions: Ruv

Stranger things?

joker-smile.gif

Back