Economy Microsoft Japan gives 3 day weekend to staff. Productivity increased 39.9%

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Japan is infamous for its grueling work life, where people often leave for work in the wee hours of the morning and return home at night.

Microsoft in Japan conducted an experiment. For the whole month of August, the company gave its employees a 3 day weekend , every week; Friday was a paid day off.

Productivity increased 39.9%.

Actually this is not surprising since many other studies over the years have shown that despite Western Europe and America working less than Japanese workers, productivity in these countries compares favorably or better to productivity in Japan.

https://soranews24.com/2019/11/03/m...end-boosts-worker-productivity-by-40-percent/

I’d do a four day with additional hours over five. Sometimes you just have a crazy week though and might come in more days but to have the norm be four 10s would be great imo.

News flash: people will work harder when they aren’t on the verge of suicidal depression due to work related busy bee work.

I’d do a four day with additional hours over five. Sometimes you just have a crazy week though and might come in more days but to have the norm be four 10s would be great imo.
12’s are the way to go.

How many days would you do though?

Depends. A lot of the time it’s 2 days on 2 days off. Feels like you are never at work. Other times you might work 5 straight for 7 days off. Like a vacation without needing to take time off.

Depends. A lot of the time it’s 2 days on 2 days off. Feels like you are never at work. Other times you might work 5 straight for 7 days off. Like a vacation without needing to take time off.

Hmm maybe. Even though I like a 4/3, I usually use my PTO with 2-4 hours off instead of full days or weeks off. I feel like I can stay on top of my work easier if I’m there just a couple hours before having an afternoon off or something. The 4/3 would work because everyone would be doing it. If people aren’t all doing the 12s, it would make things a little chaotic for me. I already have trouble scheduling meetings with 3+ people in them.

When my activities are not directly resulting in the enrichment of a corporation I don't feel whole as a human being. What could I possibly do with an extra day off other than worry about the time I am wasting that could instead be used to increase my employer's profits? I am on the verge of a panic attack just imagining it.

Hmm maybe. Even though I like a 4/3, I usually use my PTO with 2-4 hours off instead of full days or weeks off. I feel like I can stay on top of my work easier if I’m there just a couple hours before having an afternoon off or something. The 4/3 would work because everyone would be doing it. If people aren’t all doing the 12s, it would make things a little chaotic for me. I already have trouble scheduling meetings with 3+ people in them.

I don’t blame you. I assume you do office work. I’m talking police, private security or trades work. 12’s are hard for office type corporate jobs. I’ve done both and had a 9-5 I hated it.

This is a great idea for them.

I used to work 3 12s
Loved it

only took this job for the substantial raise

I'm sure there will be people with the slave mindset that hates this idea.

Employee lives are better and more healthy

Employers get an increase in productivity and saving more on cost

Everyone literally wins

What's there not to like?

I'm sure there will be people with the slave mindset that hates this idea.

Employee lives are better and more healthy

Employers get an increase in productivity and saving more on cost

Everyone literally wins

What's there not to like?
Employers and managers would probably not like it. I mean the thought of giving a day off, or even worse a paid day off. A 3-day weekend would never fly over here. Far better chance in some place like France, Scandinavia or Germany.

News flash: people will work harder when they aren’t on the verge of suicidal depression due to work related busy bee work.

I'm completely willing to admit that a 40 hour work week renders me worthless close to half the time. It's crazy how much easier a week is if I take even half a day off. If my job was some menial task, I could do it 8 hours a day without a significant drop in efficiency, but it is almost impossible to think and focus for 8 hours a day.

In my defense I'm having some borderline insomnia issues.

As a business owner whos work day starts at 4am for 10 months out of the year, we switched from five 10 hour shifts per week to four 11 hour shifts, and productivity increased while fuel costs have reduced, worker happiness increased, conflicts between employees have decreased, ive have between 60-70% less call-ins for sickness, and the workers have voiced that their personal and family lives have improved.

Edit: sorry, was supposed to be 12 not 11

Last edited:
Unless I've stacked up the week with multiple customer projects or it's a major network cut over I've never needed or been able to fill a 40 hour of utilization. Currently I'm doing a staff augmentation project where a customer has me 40 hours a week and I probably do 4-8 hours of actual work a week.

Employers and managers would probably not like it. I mean the thought of giving a day off, or even worse a paid day off. A 3-day weekend would never fly over here. Far better chance in some place like France, Scandinavia or Germany.
True, Americans take other people's happiness as a personal insult.

In America we brag about how much time we spend at work, never mind much of it is wasted time.

Science: modest work weeks produce more at cheaper cost.

Managers: I'd rather make less cuz of muh insecurities

There have been many studies that show that while Murkans might actually be at work 70 hours a week they are far less productive than Europeans who are working 35 hours. They actually only spend about 2 hours out of the day working.

Back