Micro-loading in Starting Strength

Harms Way

White Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to see what others think about micro-loading (2.5# jumps rather than 5#) in Starting Strength.

My reasoning is that one would be able to run the program longer (albeit at a slower growth rate) if one opted for smaller increments each training session.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

I likely wouldn't do it until you can't progress with 5lb jumps for more than 2-3 weeks in a row. Some might suggest a reset and it is also an option. That being said, my favorite weights in the gym are 2.5lb and less for breaking some plateaus.

With the exception of the press, I wouldn't. Generally, not being able to progress as written means it's probably time to move on to something like Texas method or a Bill Starr routine. Assuming diet, technique, sleep, etc, are all reasonably good.

With the exception of the press, I wouldn't. Generally, not being able to progress as written means it's probably time to move on to something like Texas method or a Bill Starr routine. Assuming diet, technique, sleep, etc, are all reasonably good.
To clarify, do you mean both press movements or just the overhead?

Just wanted to see what others think about micro-loading (2.5# jumps rather than 5#) in Starting Strength.

My reasoning is that one would be able to run the program longer (albeit at a slower growth rate) if one opted for smaller increments each training session.

Thanks in advance.

You could also switch to GSLP which has you going for rep records instead of just increasing weight. So whatever you're failing on now, drop the weight by 10-15% and do 2x5 then on the third set as many reps as possible. When you can't get at least 5 reps on any two sets, drop to 2x3 and AMAP.

You should be able to run it for another few months.

Also, on GSLP you only squat twice a week which I found much better than showing up and grinding out squats every other day.

You could also switch to GSLP which has you going for rep records instead of just increasing weight. So whatever you're failing on now, drop the weight by 10-15% and do 2x5 then on the third set as many reps as possible. When you can't get at least 5 reps on any two sets, drop to 2x3 and AMAP.

You should be able to run it for another few months.

Also, on GSLP you only squat twice a week which I found much better than showing up and grinding out squats every other day.
I researched this as well but there were some concerns that form breaks down doing AMAP sets.

The appeal to me about the GSLP, though, was the addition of pulling movements (chin/pull-up variants) and the option for arm work.

Considering an (arbitrary) 5-lb. loading scheme does nothing to account for the hypothetical rate of progression for a 300-lb. guy, versus a 150-lb. guy, versus a 100-lb. woman, I'd say it's perfectly fine. If using 2.5-lb. progression allows you to run SS for approximately the same amount of time as most others do, without inflating the duration to the point that it becomes counter-productive, then I would say to go for it.

I researched this as well but there were some concerns that form breaks down doing AMAP sets.

The appeal to me about the GSLP, though, was the addition of pulling movements (chin/pull-up variants) and the option for arm work.

Stop when your form begins to break down, after a few times you'll realize when to push and when to rack it. As many as possible shouldn't be taken literally, don't leave your soul on the floor.

You are free to do as much or as little assistance and accessory work as you like on any programme, but you're also responsible for the affect they have on recovery.

It's a learning process - learning how to do the lifts, learning when to call it a day or push for a few more reps.

Thanks in advance.

Why do you want to prolong the program?

I believe if you are doing a beginner/novice program then you should just do the program. There's a reason you are a beginner/novice. You'll learn from it and start to be able to put together your own tweaks or program entirely.

I'm with Keosawa on this one. If you can continue to progress using smaller increments go for it. This is discussed on the Starting Strength Wiki and I think it's also discussed in the official book.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program#Stalling.2C_Resetting_and_Progressing

You can also try switching to the Practical Programming Advanced Novice program that incorporates front squats (or simply lighter back squats) on the 2nd day (Wednesday if you lift M/W/F) so you only add weight twice/week instead of three times.

microloading is money for the OHP. FOr other lifts, not som much at the beginner level IMO.

When I did Starting Strength I found that doing 3 x 6 in the next session worked better than going up 5 lbs (and the gym I lifted at going up 2.5 lbs wasn't an option). If 3 x 6 felt good then I'd go up 5 lbs next session and continue to go up 5 lbs as long as 3 x 5 felt good.

Why not add the 5 or 10 lbs, do what you can do, and try to do better the next time until you hit 3x5 and then repeat. Probably give you some motivation instead of worrying about adding balloons to the ends of the bar.

Why not add the 5 or 10 lbs, do what you can do, and try to do better the next time until you hit 3x5 and then repeat. Probably give you some motivation instead of worrying about adding balloons to the ends of the bar.
Lol'd at adding balloons.

Thanks.

Back