Micky Coen the cobble fighter

Your great-uncle is Tony then? Mikey Coen followed the route of a lot of the Irish immigrants that poured into Manchester in the early to mid 1900s, and that was labouring, door work, and fighting for coin. I suspect like a lot of fighters who followed this route, they were more adapted to fairgrounds, back rooms in pubs, on the cobbles, where rules were looser by far. As a big fan of irish folk music, never knew he had a song penned. Slainte for that.

Last edited:
Your great-uncle is Tony then? Mikey Coen followed the route of a lot of the Irish immigrants that poured into Manchester in the early to mid 1900s, and that was labouring, door work, and fighting for coin. I suspect like a lot of fighters who followed this route, they were more adapted to fairgrounds, back rooms in pubs, on the cobbles, where rules were looser by far. As a big fan of irish folk music, never knew he had a song penned. Slainte for that.
Aye mate Tony was my great uncle man .That was his best win he got smashed off Johnny Kidd and Jim Spike McCormacck from the falls road .

Boxingnews article on this fight got a copy of the programme Liverpool stadiium think it was scheduled for 6 .

Great scrapbook man, something to be treasured and passed down to your nippers one day.

Jim Spike McCormack was a warrior 96 fights in the pros .I used to get mixed up with the McCormacks from Dublin .Ken Buchan said in his bio his hardest fight , No got to have been Duran .

https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/30483

Great uncle graced the ring with some good guys Jim Spike McCormack , Johnny Jidd , Mike Coen .I wish to f--k he was around so he could train me , R.IP .

I f----g love that song R.I.P Tony man .One of my first ever childhood memories was when the we granda was trying to train me man .How I got into boxing my we granda teaching me the basics left hand forward .Left hand lead if your right handed that stuck forever man .Then when he passed 121212 hiit loved the game man ever since. Just wish the great uncle was around to give me a boxing lesson man .He founded my local gym but when I fell in love with the game he was gone . Still became that obsessed Ifound his pro record .If it wasnt for me nobody would even remember him .

I've watched that fight about 20 times lol .

Back