First changes to the UFC would be:

- Way way hotter ring girls that are all natural beautiful women
- Fights and title shots based solely on ranking
- Reebok uniforms in the gutter
- Different colored octagon mats
- Goldie fucking fired instantly and replaced with Brian Stan or frank mir
- 60/40% profit sharing between company and fighters
- no more early weigh ins
- Veteran Division for awesome legend fights everyone wants to see filled with TRT badasses
- 125 women's division
- cancel 145 women's division
- uniform deal with Nike that allows fighters to have additional sponsors.
- no more interim belts. Don't defend in 1 year you get stripped period.
- no fighter in a main event gets less than 100k

If you are a fan of good MMA, you should care if embarrassingly low salaries like this go public. It means less athletes will chose MMA as a profession and we won't get as good a fights as we could have.

You don't have to give a shit about anything but good fights to still hate this kind of pay.

I personally want MMA to be so popular that it pays NFL level salaries and we see NFL level athletes. In there.

Well, they've been getting paid more recently and all I've seen is more WWE antics, more fight dodging, everyone wants "super fights" against the same three people, interim titles made out of thin air for no reason, half the fighters only fight once a year now, etc.

Do the Invicta fights count towards the Reebok money? If so she might have made more from Reebok than her UFC pay.

It's like that for many sports.

Golf, Tennis, and many other sports where the athletes are independent contractors are pay to play sports.

I know a pro golfer who lost money across his career because he never made it to a big payday and yet had all the expenses of attending the big tournaments. He basically took all of his coaching and caddying money and spent it trying to get a big pay day in the pro circuit which never came.

Not sure how people here feel about sports like Golf and Tennis and their pay to play design.

Your comment about pay to play is a fair one. Definitely true that players trying to break into those sports often have to carry losses for a period of years and there is no guarantee that they ever make money.

That was not really where I was trying to go with my comment.

To extend the tennis analogy, if professional tennis was really like the UFC it would mean that players not only had to fund the vast majority of their sporting related expenses but that they would also be paid on a variable basis and be tied into long term contracts. If Djokovic wanted to play the big tournaments he would have to sign an exclusive contract with the ATP that fixed a certain payment depending on how he did in each tournament (win / loss). The payment for winning Wimbledon would vary from player to player depending on their real or perceived bargaining position. The winning prizes would not only vary from player to player but only a portion of the prize money would even have to be made public, the better to enhance information asymmetry between the owner(s) and players. Djokovic would be contractually barred from playing in non-ATP tournaments (you could say in tennis that there is really only one league but many of the top players make considerable cash off exhibition matches. Top players can also use their bargaining position to obtain bonuses simply for entering a tournament.). In addition, Djokovic would not be able to negotiate his own in-game sponsorships but instead would be paid a flat rate determined by the owners based on an arbitrary calculation. Of course, if tennis was like boxing or MMA, there would be no seedings at tournaments. Matches would be at the discretion of the owners and made based on a variety of sporting and non-sporting reasons ( "Federer lost his last couple of matches but he is a real fan favorite at Wimbledon so we are going to slot him into the final"). The non-sporting reasons for setting matches is critical because it further reduces the element of control exercised by the player. Djokovic could be required to win 10 matches to make it to the final while his competitor only had to win 4. That further reduces the bargaining power of the athlete.

In boxing we often managers / promotional companies defend these restrictive contracts because they had to promote the fighter early on, potentially at a loss, and therefore should be able to recoup money if the fighter proves successful. Yet it would strike most people as ridiculous if the ATP said the same thing. "You know, Djokovic didn't win a Slam right away. We had to turn him into a star and now he has to fight at a discount for the next 5 tournaments or we will prevent him from playing at all. Oh by the way, since an athletic career is short, if Djokovic decides not to play then we will make him sit out his prime years. So his choice is to make pennies on the dollar or nothing at all".

I don't know much about the business of tennis but I do think that extending the boxing / MMA structure into other sports show how truly unusual (and unfair) they are.

Yep.

As soon as a fighter has some positioning, they shouldn't fight till they get what they think is a fair amount.

I get the Diaz bros now more than ever. This is too hard of a sport for day to day life to get paid like shit. Better for the fighter to sit out for money fights rather than jeopardize his future with low pay.

Not bad, most soccer moms are chaperoning trips to the museum for brownie points from the principal

I would drink her bath water. Then bottle up the rest and sell it on eBay.

I would love to.

First changes to the UFC would be:

- Way way hotter ring girls that are all natural beautiful women
- Fights and title shots based solely on ranking
- Reebok uniforms in the gutter
- Different colored octagon mats
- Goldie fucking fired instantly and replaced with Brian Stan or frank mir
- 60/40% profit sharing between company and fighters
- no more early weigh ins
- Veteran Division for awesome legend fights everyone wants to see filled with TRT badasses
- 125 women's division
- cancel 145 women's division
- uniform deal with Nike that allows fighters to have additional sponsors.
- no more interim belts. Don't defend in 1 year you get stripped period.
- no fighter in a main event gets less than 100k

Why not start your own fight organization and implement these rules?

how much did Paige get paid? Also, I think they get 15k extra for main eventing from Reebok

Back