Michelle Obama gave the best speech of the entire campaign season tonight-- hands down

Start with his short stories. Get "The Snows of Kilimanjaro". After that you won't delay to pick up the rest.

I was going to post almost this exact same thing. I'm not really a fan of his novels, though I've read them all, but he's in the running for GOAT short-story writer.

. You shouldn't have written it.

I hope you can appreciate this in good humor...

A Michele Obama fan, policing speech.

I'm shocked.

btw I'm not one of the "detests everything she does" types. She was a very successful woman before she met Barack, she obviously worked her ass off and I respect that.

and dump this shit/topic thread

why? you do realize @Madmick created this thread, right? that means it's thread worthy by default.

if this thread bothers you, your best bet is to ignore it. throwing salt up in here like that reflects poorly on you.

Is this what is considered a good speech in 2016? Some pseudo nationalism and pandering to people's feelings over stating any real facts? Cool, I guess.

It was a good speech. Shame it was wasted on trying to sell us shit (Hillary) for gold.

Pretty much this. I mean Hillary is so awful, what can Michelle do but go balls out and play the cards she has, which she did well.

Start with his short stories. Get "The Snows of Kilimanjaro". After that you won't delay to pick up the rest.

Your comment sneering at her for whining because she's rich revealed a terrible comprehension of what she said. I'm not budging on that. You shouldn't have written it.

it's officially at the end of the queue. I just finished Childhood's end, imperfect justice, and have a couple chapters left to ender's game. Just started Rebecca (one of my favorite movies) and have a 5 pack of Agatha Christie that is coming tomorrow from Amazon (got it for the Murder of Roger Ackroyd). Not to mention a few more that i've read part way and will start again. I really need to get more organized.

Because childhood obesity isn't a major problem right now. Screw her for trying to get kids to eat an apple instead of fried twinkles.

She wears nice clothes. That's what First Ladies do.
lol, kids were throwing out the fuckin food instead of eating it. When you are worried about kids getting any kind of nutrition and then you change things to where they will literally starve rather than eat the shit you tell them to, that says something.

Race should be irrelevant but it's not. We can't use doublespeak in these areas. If it's supposed to be irrelevant then it's always irrelevant. We can't say "statistically, X race does this or that," and then later say that race is also irrelevant. Or say that race is relevant but only in specific positive/negative contexts.

People have to choose - always or never relevant.
Im al for this as I am sure most repubs are, if you'll (society) will tell the dems to shut the fuck up about race and stop breaking everything down to race,sex,gender,etc, then we will as well.

But some how I doubt that will happen.

Is this what is considered a good speech in 2016? Some pseudo nationalism and pandering to people's feelings over stating any real facts? Cool, I guess.

Are you talking about the entire Trump campaign?

What are the demographics in the education level of the voter base? I'm most interested in the 30-50 age range. The people old enough to have experience, but not too old to be out of touch. Also communication majors, women studies, etc....should be subtracted from the educated population total.
Funny how liberals will always clam that the most educated people vote for them but they leave out the fact that the stupid people vote for them as well.Blacks and latino (least educated not stupid)

Also, why is a person who has a gender studies or a bullshit psyh degree and working at Pottery Barn smarter than they guy who has been running a Ranch for 20 years (basically running a business), or tthe guy who has 2 year associates degree in clinical lab science working in a medical facility?

If they were really that smart, would they have ran up $80,000 in debt getting a bullshit degree?

Last edited:
I largely agree with your post but this part is a subject I'm more interested in at large.

Basic schools in poorer parts of America are crap because the federal government does not have the legal authority to really mandate nationwide standards for facilities, teachers or curriculums.

So you end up with these state run systems where school quality is largely dictated by the local economic environment. And until the poor parts of town gain enough political power to force reform, they will continue to lag behind the wealthier parts of town which generally produce the majority of the state legislators.
Why have dems known for decades that it is unfair the way the money is split up going to schools and have done nothing about it. Most inner cities are dem controlled from the city council, school board to the mayor. All they would have to do is pass a law saying that all school funds for a city will be split evenly amongst all schools?

Why has no one done that? If they know they way school money is split up is unfair, why have they not changed it?

Back