Michelle Obama gave the best speech of the entire campaign season tonight-- hands down

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score

Not sure if you guys saw it, but she simply outshone every speaker I've seen this entire campaign season in any party. Melania could parrot every word, pantomime every gesture, and steal every glimmer of inspiration to fill that vacuous space between her ears where her own thoughts should be, but she will never be able to fill our First Lady's shoes.

She killed all the divisive anger that commanded the morning and afternoon between the "Bernie or Bust" crowd and the Clinton camp on the floor. The NPR commentators and their assembled panel of various journalists devoted much of their time to discussing the palpable change in the mood as she spoke before Bernie came out to formally endorse Hillary and unite the convention.

This is the most impressive public appearance she has ever delivered, IMO.

*Edit* I'm not the only one who noticed:
The Atlantic: Michelle Obama's Speech for the Ages

Also, for fun, let's do a fact check comparing Michelle's speech to Trump's speech:

Michelle
http://abcnews.go.com/US/fact-checking-lady-michelle-obamas-speech-white-house/story?id=40887848

Trump

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/07/22/us/politics/ap-us-gop-2016-convention-fact-check.html

Last edited:
Of course Melania can't fill Michelle's shoes. What's Michelle, a Men's size 13?!?

All kidding aside, I thought MO gave a great speech as well. I voted for her and Barrack in 12 and while he's let me down this half, she's been nothing but remarkable IMO.

. Melania could parrot every word, pantomime every gesture, and steal every glimmer of inspiration to fill that vacuous space between her ears where her own thoughts should be, but she will never be able to fill our First Lady's shoes.

This is good but she needs to keep it up. Just giving one speech going to change hearts and minds. Bernie caused an earthquake on Hillary's platform. The leaked emails has made it a lot harder for Hillary her platform took a hard left thanks to the leak.

This is good but she needs to keep it up. Just giving one speech going to change hearts and minds. Bernie caused an earthquake on Hillary's platform. The leaked emails has made it a lot harder for Hillary her platform took a hard left thanks to the leak.
No, she isn't running, and neither is her husband, and she did what she needed to do. Not sure if you were watching the early day's footage, but the entire tone of the convention in the morning and afternoon was angry and divided. Bernie fans were booing Hillary's name with the early, untelevised speakers. There were some pretty uncomfortable moments (such as when Al Franken and Sarah Silverman spoke, and Silverman chided the "Bernie or Bust" crowd).

That all evaporated after Michelle's speech, and all the political commentary I saw from talking heads after Bernie's final keynote speech focused on that achievement. She laid the groundwork for Bernie to go in and officially endorse Hillary, not by virtue of team play, but on the virtue of her newly adopted platform and how much she already had in common with him, not Trump; for example, Trump's proposal to eradicate a federal minimum wage.

The Democrats are already looking more united tonight than the Republicans did after closing their convention (thanks to Cruz's boisterous refusal to endorse Trump, and to Kasich's conspicuous absence altogether). Despite the most recent polls I'd say that Trump and the Republicans are in big, big trouble after tonight.

America was always great...

This is the first time I've been proud of my country...

Well at least Melania now has new material for her RNC address in 2020.

great speech and well delivered.

Smart move by the DNC to move floor mics around from the bernie supporters.

There were boos going on, but no way they would allowed that during the FLOUTS speech.

and no, i would say the protesting outside and the dominating trends do not suggest the DNC is unified.

Plus, i think she stole some of the ideas of her speech:

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/8210687

Last edited:
She gave the speech well, I'm just not buying what they're selling. Mentioning slavery-check, "glass ceiling"-check. Pretending women are held down by a "ceiling" while promoting one, as the favorite right after an FBI investigation, for president seems a bit silly.

Stonemason Collen Williamson trained enslaved people on the spot at the government's quarry at Aquia, Virginia. Enslaved people quarried and cut the rough stone that was later dressed and laid by Scottish masons to erect the walls of the President's House. The slaves joined a work force that included local white laborers and artisans from Maryland and Virginia, as well as immigrants from Ireland, Scotland, and other European nations.

The slaves were also paid, making them not slaves, though I guess they were also slaves, just not for this job.

The rest of the speech was good, or at least as good as you can expect from a national convention speech.

I can't help but frown whenever I witness these pathos filled pre-election speeches.

America was always great...

This is the first time I've been proud of my country...

Well at least Melania now has new material for her RNC address in 2020.

LMAO!!

Melania should really slap that speech writer I find it hard to believe that its not an act of sabotage.

Could not keep from laughing at this point:
"When they go low we go high!"

Yeah, it shows.

I didn't expect this when you said this is the best speech, but I have to admit, this is gold.
Enjoy the Trumpslide. This election will be a trouncing of absolutely epic proportions.

Speech was good, but other than that, what has she done besides fuck up kids school lunches and wear $3000 clothes while giving a speech to the poor. and go on a bunch of vacations.

In few months America will go from classy michelle to eastern european bimbo.....talk about downgrade

Not sure if you guys saw it, but she simply outshone every speaker I've seen this entire campaign season in any party. Melania could parrot every word, pantomime every gesture, and steal every glimmer of inspiration to fill that vacuous space between her ears where her own thoughts should be, but she will never be able to fill our First Lady's shoes.

She killed all the divisive anger that commanded the morning and afternoon between the "Bernie or Bust" crowd and the Clinton camp on the floor. The NPR commentators and their assembled panel of various journalists devoted much of their time to discussing the palpable change in the mood as she spoke before Bernie came out to formally endorse Hillary and unite the convention.

This is the most impressive public appearance she has ever delivered, IMO.

Like a champ.
Barack will make a great elder statesman and Michelle will surely contribute great things.

The party leadership fucked up, but Bernie was starting to piss me off with his sniveling.
Do those Sanders idiots really want a President Trump?
Time for everybody to get their shit together, or they'll fumble this on the one yard line and be epically humiliated.

It was a good speech. Shame it was wasted on trying to sell us shit (Hillary) for gold.

Back