1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Michael Spinks vs Oleksandr Usyk

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Cariñito, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Cariñito Brown Belt

Michael Spinks 31-1 (21KOs) 6'2 1/2, 76in reach. 199-212lbs.
    Trainer Eddie Futch.
    Undisputed Light Heavyweight champ from 1983-1985 and was the lineal heavyweight champ from 1985-1988.
    14-1(9KOs) in World Championship fights.
    7-1(2KOs) against former World Champions.
    Most notable wins: Larry Holmes(2x), Dwight Qawi, Gerry Cooney, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, Murray Sutherland(2x), Marvin Johnson.
    Is considered one of the greatest LHW boxers of all time. Dethroned Larry Holmes at 48-0 before he got to Marcianos 49-0. Then beat Holmes again in the rematch.
    First LHW Champion to win a HW Championship.

Oleksandr Usyk 19-0 (13KOs) 6'3 78in reach. 220lbs
    Trainer Anatoly Lomachenko
    Undisputed Cruiserweight Champion in 2018.
    Unified Heavyweight Champ in 2021.
    8-0 (3KOs) in World Title fights.
    6-0 (2KOs) against former World Champions
    Most notable wins: Anthony Joshua, Murat Gassiev, Tony Bellew, Marco Huck, Mairis Briedis, Krzystzof Glowacki.

Who wins?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  2. KAZSoliloquy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

don’t see this being much of an intriguing contest. both would likely try to outbox each other and win on points and it could realistically go either way, but this wouldn’t be a barnburner by any stretch of the imagination. i’ll take usyk via having the slightly better beard and a solid gas tank.

edit: also there’s no way he’s the first LHW to win a HW championship. maybe he’s the first since they added cruiserweight?

3. Cariñito Brown Belt

I think he was the 1st reigning LHW Champ to win the HW championship.
    Bob Fitzsimmons won the HW belt before he won the LHW belt, that might be what your confusing it with. Ezzard Charles is the greatest LHW boxer ever, and one of the greatest boxers just in general. But he actually never won the LHW Title. Just the HW title. I don't think he ever fought for a LHW title.

KAZSoliloquy likes this.
  4. KAZSoliloquy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

that’s exactly who i googled after reading this thread lmao i know charles’ resumé but i just assumed he held the LHW title for a long time.

Cariñito likes this.
  5. Cariñito Brown Belt

Spinks would UD him.
    That's why all the usual suspects came in looked at the stats and had no argument.
    What are you gonna say, Bridies was a better win than Holmes?
    Get the fuck outta here.
    Dwight Muhammad Qawi would be a unified HW Champ in these days.

Street Samurai likes this.
  6. TPMR Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Usyk EASILY. southpaw jab too good

7. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

I wouldn’t sell Spinks short. He went 24 rounds against Larry Holmes and certainly won the first fight. Unless you had what it took to blast him away he always found something to bother you with. Spinks would go consistently to the body and act less predictably than pretty much any world class opponent Usyk has faced so far.

8. deucesarewild Brown Belt

Spinks gets underrated because Mike Tyson demolished him, but Spinks is one of the best LHW's ever. At CW, he'd be Goodwood.

50/50 fight, but I'd have to rewatch some old Spinks fights. If Spinks isn't intimidated or rushed, he warms up over the fight and you see a better version of him.

9. aries Gold Belt

If you just base it on stats the problem is Usyk is still very much active and is relatively new to HW, so it's not really a fair comparison. For instance if he beats Fury then I think you'd have to make a reassessment. Certainly Spinks has the better record as it stands but let's come back to this thread once Usyk's retired.

And if I had to pick a winner I'd go for Usyk as I think he's tends to get better the better his opponent gets and he has the edge in cardio and output which would be a big factor in what would likely be a 12 round fight.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022 at 5:07 AM
    Jonny Ninja likes this.
  10. SandisLL Brown Belt

Yes.

With your tribal and nationalistic posts and biased opinions. Boxer's origin matters for you more than real life. While I don't care about origin, unlike tribal casuals like you.

To beat 30- 33 y.o prime Briedis had been harder task than to beat Holmes in 1985-1988 th.
    Origin is base for casuals more than reality.

Dorticos as person likes me more than Briedis btw.

Briedis in his best prime shape most likely had decision loss vs Holmes from 1977-1981 th and Holyfield with weight ins weight 208-213 lbs in his best shape.
    Cos he was a bit worse than best shape Holy HW version on juice or Usyk in best his night. Nothing more.

Guys like Quawi and Holmes version from 1988 th Briedis when was 30-33 y.o most likely had esasily KTFOed. Also Holy version with 190 lbs weight ins limit.

Boxers origin matter every bare thing in internet comments:), pundits opinions etc noise.
    While yeah, I rate Holy and Usyk higher than prime Briedis.
    While, sorry, guy like Patterson most likely had 0 chance vs prime Briedis and even Marciano too.
    Louis and Dempsey: yeah. They most likely had real chance.

N.B , Usyk and Briedis were snakes who had sandbagged in some bouts.

Goatenstein likes this.
  11. SandisLL Brown Belt

Even better for Usyk: he is good head puncher who is using dynamic high guard while being constantly moving more or less even when he doesn't looks that is moving.
    Also nice thing to use guard in order that your punches aimed to core might hit his elbows in guard position, when guard is moving.
    Easier tell than to do this one. Despite Usyk's origin.

You undervalue Usyk's CW opponents due bias cos boxer's origin.
    Most likely even did not had saw faked behavior, traps and half traps these " bad " opponents had used on regular basis.
    F.e for you Glowacki, Huck and Briedis for you most likely are just average nobodies for frenchman like you , till extent that you didn't had saw traps setup in rows etc.

12. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

I’m no expert in broken English but if I understand what you’re actually trying to say you can be sure I do appreciate and respect Usyk’s boxing achievements, no matter which country he is from, which you seem to be obsessed about. On the other hand I do believe Spinks is underrated in this discussion because his main achievements happened in the 80s and people tend to only remember the Tyson fight.

As Usyk doesn’t have Tyson’s devastating tools a Spinks fight would all be about skills and no one ever beat Spinks on skills alone. If you do pay attention to my previous post I didn’t say I was sure about the outcome. I said that underrating Spinks because we are currently living Usyk’s era is way too easy.

JayE and JSN like this.
  13. SandisLL Brown Belt

I don't need english to earn for a living. Live with this.

Please, watch Holmes 1977-1981 and compare this with Holmes from 1988 th.

Also, don't be so high: employee always is employee, regardless from his skills, non broken or broken english they all are proletariat nothing more.
    With good english you might be proud, please get this:
    I do not need even to mention any bare word that I know something in english in order to earn for a living.:)
    We here have enough servants with degrees in english.

LOL.

14. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

Please be sure I’d be glad to reply in a more accurate way if this nonsense was remotely understandable.

WklySportsMemes likes this.
  15. SandisLL Brown Belt

Nonsense?
    I will have 0 financial reward if I will have ideal english language skills in writing.
    Get this, english is 4 th language I use and I never ever will care about quality.

This is for you and youngsters, not for me.

So, I a bit laugh about this bullshit: everyone must know english, insert here french etc and live in dreams.

Dream further, I might hire cleaner with better english skills than I do have.

Please, you are a bit delusional: everyone needs high level language x or y writing skills in order to live in this world, to earn money etc.

LOL.

16. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

Poorly educated people aren’t very likely to earn much. Just sayin’.

17. SandisLL Brown Belt

As proleatriat no, of course.

You most likely are educated proletariat and even more than this: a bit delusional and selfish poster.

For you english and french are signs to be educated or skilled.

I'm not oustource IT worker for english language speaking countries or tourists servant. :D:D
    To serve tourists young and nice looking ppl might be hired. With not only just good english.

I also never had intent to serve selfish " educated " ppl in internet. :D

If for you main income now is your salary, this is your problem, like your english and french skills, sorry.

18. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

Right now the only thing that is certain about either you or me is that you cannot speak proper English. Sorry about that, son.

19. SandisLL Brown Belt

Why I need this?

I a bit laugh at you.
    You are calling me as son and this is cool.

In France to speak english in order to serve tourists isn't pride. :D
    I do know this.:)

Proper english is for your life.

Son, please get a bit pride: one country, one language one emperor.
    It is French slogan my son.

20. Hagler Man of wealth and taste Platinum Member

Well, you may laugh on your own like the village idiot as much as you want but it hardly makes any case for Usyk against Spinks. And you do sound retarded.