Michael Johnson shold have fought Khabib

TalkinNoise

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I don't really post/read the Heavies like I used to, but how are you guys feeling about Barboza-Johnson? It seems like a dumb fight to me, I think MJ and Khabib should have scrapped, the latter is in title talks, and MJ I think has shown good progression as a fighter in his last three wins.

Barboza is a hell of a talent but I think he has progressed less as a fighter.

What say you guys?

I don't see Michael beating Khabib.
Khabib is such a good grappler and Michael has lost mainly due to grappling.

Michael Johnson tried to get this fight but Khabib thought he was above it, I would like to watch them fight

I don't see Michael beating Khabib.
Khabib is such a good grappler and Michael has lost mainly due to grappling.

I should add I think Khabib would be the rightful favorite.

I like MJ tho... sometimes you have to test your better prospects, and his footwork I think could make an interesting fight.

They can still fight. Barboza/Johnson is in February, Khabib won't be back till the summer

I should add I think Khabib would be the rightful favorite.

I like MJ tho... sometimes you have to test your better prospects, and his footwork I think could make an interesting fight.

It probably would be an entertaining fight.
As much as some posters like to talk about Khabib as a LnP guy - I think he is highly entertaining. With the bouncing uppercut/shovel punch and slams.

Michael has looked good with his striking. I just think he would be lacking where Khabib is elite.

I think it makes more sense for Khabib to fight the winner of Cerrone/Jury for the number 1 contender spot.

Johnson is maybe a notch below that with a win over Barboza.

UFC is run like an organic eco system with 5 basic groups. Each tier has it's own polarity in level and occasionally, like very occasionally, a member from each tier can transcend it's tier.

1.Bottom feeders and card fillers: ruan potts - elias theodorou
2. Fish that you feed to the gatekeepers to make them seem more menacing: castillo, michael johnson, leben
3. Gate keepers: bisping, rda, condit
4. The unanswered questions - elite or gatekeepers: khabib, conor, jacare, rockhold
5. The established elite: jj, cain, aldo, gsp, weidman, rousey

There are obviously questions about fighters ceilingsin the 4th group and that is why I am so excited to see Khabib fight Pettis...anything less is unacceptable at present and if you are a fan of the sport, you should find it unacceptable too. Too many of you are getting too high or too blinded into thinking guys like MJ are even close to deserving of sharing octagon space with Khabib....heck, feed him to a gatekeeper to see how far he has come but PLEASE don't feed him to the elite - it is a GD waste of time, money and energy. Thinking like this is why cards are, 95% of the time, weak as fuck.

MJ Via Upset ... TKO

Styles make fights man and for some reason I think MJ could win this one. Not saying he could deal with a Pettis who is pretty polished on the feet, but I think he's too agile for Khabib.

UFC is run like an organic eco system with 5 basic groups. Each tier has it's own polarity in level and occasionally, like very occasionally, a member from each tier can transcend it's tier.

1.Bottom feeders and card fillers: ruan potts - elias theodorou
2. Fish that you feed to the gatekeepers to make them seem more menacing: castillo, michael johnson, leben
3. Gate keepers: bisping, rda, condit
4. The unanswered questions - elite or gatekeepers: khabib, conor, jacare, rockhold
5. The established elite: jj, cain, aldo, gsp, weidman, rousey

There are obviously questions about fighters ceilingsin the 4th group and that is why I am so excited to see Khabib fight Pettis...anything less is unacceptable at present and if you are a fan of the sport, you should find it unacceptable too. Too many of you are getting too high or too blinded into thinking guys like MJ are even close to deserving of sharing octagon space with Khabib....heck, feed him to a gatekeeper to see how far he has come but PLEASE don't feed him to the elite - it is a GD waste of time, money and energy. Thinking like this is why cards are, 95% of the time, weak as fuck.

What a strange post.

I think MJ is too young to be a gatekeeper, gatekeepers are one dimensional, older, and lack a general sense of evolution.

MJ is an athletic, younger dude who has greenness in grappling shown in the earlier stages of his career. Sometimes when you don't have those years of submission grappling experience, you get caught when you're starting out. I mean, dude obv is doing something right because his competition is getting better and he's subbed less.

It almost seems like I'm dickriding the dude :icon_lol:... I'm really not, your post just seemed condescending and it needed a response

Johnson isn't at Khabibs level yet. It would be a step down for Khabib

What a strange post.

I think MJ is too young to be a gatekeeper, gatekeepers are one dimensional, older, and lack a general sense of evolution.

MJ is an athletic, younger dude who has greenness in grappling shown in the earlier stages of his career. Sometimes when you don't have those years of submission grappling experience, you get caught when you're starting out. I mean, dude obv is doing something right because his competition is getting better and he's subbed less.

It almost seems like I'm dickriding the dude :icon_lol:... I'm really not, your post just seemed condescending and it needed a response

I think you should have ended this post sooner

I think it makes more sense for Khabib to fight the winner of Cerrone/Jury for the number 1 contender spot.

Johnson is maybe a notch below that with a win over Barboza.

This makes sense, but when is Khabib coming back?

Back