Michael Johnson beats Barboza on the feet but struggles with Dariush? :/

Shields has a fucking chin on him. His striking is beyond awful, but he's in front of you all three or five rounds and has the cardio to do it.

I don't get it.

It's the same with Shields. Dude looks stiff as hell and yet no one can destroy him on the feet.
Dariush seems better than Shields but still miles behind Barboza and yet MJ didn't seem to capitalize too much.

Why?

Barboza has a style that requires distance which Michael Menace negated by pressuring him. Dariush doesn't have that problem.

You should forward this question to Rafael Cordeiro. You typically don't see his fighters getting overwhelmed on the feet by anyone.

Problems? Johnson outstruck him handily the first 2 rounds and then coasted to an easy victory in the 3rd.

His only "problem" was the fight was fixed.

It's called a jab... Barboza's kick velocity helps ppl forget that Jamie Varner pieced his arse up with basic boxing combinations.

I'll never be upset at a decision in which the winner;

A. Wins the last round.
B. That round is the most decisively won round of the match.

Struggled? Nah....

Robbery

30-27 or 29-28 at worst for MJ

As others have said. You pretty much have 0 worry about Edson taking you down. Dariush is more unpredictable and wanted to take MJ down. And he didn't realy struggle to bad with Dariush. I think he just got kind of lazy and thought he could coast on through.

He got owned in the third round.

Not at all.... In fact 5 of 12 media judges had it for MJ.... I Think I leaned towards Dariush just to give him a round because he clearly lost the 1st and 2nd

Not at all.... In fact 5 of 12 media judges had it for MJ.... I Think I leaned towards Dariush just to give him a round because he clearly lost the 1st and 2nd

?? that is news to me. I dont know if he was gassing or he took his foot off the pedal, but Dariush recognized it and started pressing, used his jab and his range and evnetually started putting together combos and lit him up.

I don't know. But I do know that Michael Johnson has been somewhat inconsistent in his career.

Plus, different styles bring different challenges.

Pretty much this. Inconsistency has been the name of the game in Johnson's career. He's done this before. Convinced a bunch of people he's the next big thing, and laid an egg. I'm not saying Dariush should have gotten the nod, but Johnson left way too much doubt by giving that third round away.

Johnson clearly was robbed of a 29-28 decision. But Dariush would keep the pressure on Barboza and keep on attacking him with single legs, Dariush would easily go through Barboza 30-27, possibly 29-28. Dariush was way slicker in the 3rd round of the Johnson fight, giving him problems with that jab, then he would slip away from Johnsons punches. But 8 takedown defenses, 1 knockdown, and constant forward pressure couldn't win Johnson the fight. Sad day for MMA
Since when does defending a TD mean you're winning the fight? The knockdown was a flash knockdown, and Dariush bounced up as soon as he felt it. Octagon control is not the best way to score a fight if the guy can fight moving backwards. Not a sad day for MMA, but a sad day for MJ fans.

Back