Michael Johnson beats Barboza on the feet but struggles with Dariush? :/

Kwic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I don't get it.

It's the same with Shields. Dude looks stiff as hell and yet no one can destroy him on the feet.
Dariush seems better than Shields but still miles behind Barboza and yet MJ didn't seem to capitalize too much.

Why?

I don't know. But I do know that Michael Johnson has been somewhat inconsistent in his career.

Plus, different styles bring different challenges.

He might have been more cautious of the takedowns as well. He didn't have to worry about that against Barboza.

I don't get it.

It's the same with Shields. Dude looks stiff as hell and yet no one can destroy him on the feet.
Dariush seems better than Shields but still miles behind Barboza and yet MJ didn't seem to capitalize too much.

Why?

My guess is the threat of the takedown. Dariush has an incredible top game and johnsons struggled with grapplers in the past. Barboza was content to keep it on the feet but he couldnt handle johnsons constant pressure

It didn't look like he struggled to me.

Did he really struggle with Dariush though? He had problems with the jab late but I didn't think he struggled. Against Barboza he closed the distance which negated a lot of Edsons strikes.

It didn't look like he struggled to me.

lol, this.

Also, MMAth doesn't always add up. Barboza wasn't striking with the intent of lulling MJ into not seeing the TD coming, like Dariush wanted to.

guess dariush just deals with forward pressure better, probably cause he has a nice jab.

First : he should have won the decision

Second : the threat of the TD changes a lot of things.

Barboza is just as inconsistent. When he starts feeling the punches...he becomes a cyclist....Beneil got tagged and was still able to keep MJ at the end of his jab and made MJ missed a lot. Barboza is the better offensive striker, but Beneil has better defense. He was able to block or roll majority of MJs strikes, it keeps him at the right distance to be able to counter and tag MJ. While Barboza would just keep back pedaling and can't mount his own offense vs. MJ.

Even though he didn't struggle really... Even when he lost the third round I wouldn't say he was struggling...

He also didn't attack the same because if he would have it would have given Beneil a better chance of scoring a td.

I thought he rocked Dariush twice.

But, I am no MMA judge, they clearly know better.

Barboza is just as inconsistent. When he starts feeling the punches...he becomes a cyclist....Beneil got tagged and was still able to keep MJ at the end of his jab and made MJ missed a lot. Barboza is the better offensive striker, but Beneil has better defense. He was able to block or roll majority of MJs strikes, it keeps him at the right distance to be able to counter and tag MJ. While Barboza would just keep back pedaling and can't mount his own offense vs. MJ.

also good

Threat of the takedown. Damn I wish that fight was 5 rounds.

I don't get it.

Why?

Are you insinuating that something has changed between now and MJ's previous fight? Perhaps some external factor that might affect a fighter's performance?

Johnson clearly was robbed of a 29-28 decision. But Dariush would keep the pressure on Barboza and keep on attacking him with single legs, Dariush would easily go through Barboza 30-27, possibly 29-28. Dariush was way slicker in the 3rd round of the Johnson fight, giving him problems with that jab, then he would slip away from Johnsons punches. But 8 takedown defenses, 1 knockdown, and constant forward pressure couldn't win Johnson the fight. Sad day for MMA

The threat of the takedown didn't exist against Barboza. Against Dariush, he wasn't able to get going because he had too much respect for Dariush's ground game. He defended well, but he never got any offense going and Dariush was able to cruise ahead spamming leg kicks and finishing the third round strong.

Bouncing around and defending take downs doesn't win fights. You need some sort of output.

Back