Michael Jai White Kyokushin sparring footage

I'm not trolling guys, that Kyokushin sparring format is terrible. and the least applicable of any combat system.. It breeds infighting with no face punching. Nobody fights like they do in that rule set.

I like MJW and think he's a great actor( his lead role as Spawn is one of my favorites ) and he's in crazy good shape for a guy that's 52 years old. That being said, I still think Joe Rogan could take him even though Joe would be at a height disadvantage and also be giving up 30lbs in size. I think Joe can make up for the height and size difference with his skills, BJJ, and overall insane kicking power. With Joe begin a former undefeated TKD champion this fight would be crazy because Michael also has really good kicking ability. Would love to see a striking only match between the two of them

I like MJW and think he's a great actor( his lead role as Spawn is one of my favorites ) and he's in crazy good shape for a guy that's 52 years old. That being said, I still think Joe Rogan could take him even though Joe would be at a height disadvantage and also be giving up 30lbs in size. I think Joe can make up for the height and size difference with his skills, BJJ, and overall insane kicking power. With Joe begin a former undefeated TKD champion this fight would be crazy because Michael also has really good kicking ability. Would love to see a striking only match between the two of them

Joe says no thanks (I've heard it). Anyway, Kyokushin clearly sucks...

looks like a tile floor? which would be hard of course and slick from sweat. anyone with half a brain isn't sparring 'full contact!' on that...imagine getting knocked down and smacking your skull on that tile

All of the above, but especially striking sports

I think they will kick the shit out of an untrained opponent and have historically been successful in MMA and kickboxing.

So this thread is for dummies

I'm not trolling guys, that Kyokushin sparring format is terrible.
Yeah, and they are trolling on me for saying so. This just shows MJW's opponent doesn't have an skill base for his technique. I mean just look @ his footwork... random, backing away, walking around.

The whole picture though... is that this failure exists across all martial arts practice. And it comes from sparring before learning... in my case boxing footwork which I can only begin to do. We have videos, though of boxers striking very effectively with sound footwork behind them --- quite impressive.
and the least applicable of any combat system.
This is way out of line. I really don't like Kyokushin @ all looking @ it's sparring style... but your comment is merely another plug for the MMA styles which fall apart from their own training lapses... and plenty of them.

We do have some good videos of amateur boxers here @ TSF... yet even the accomplished struggle to keep their boxing effective under pressure.

. It breeds infighting with no face punching. Nobody fights like they do in that rule set.
If you call what they do 'infighting.' It's more a tough-man slug-fest... which is or becomes a farce when amateurs or casuals engage.

"Nobody should fight like that..." is the conclusion I came to on a working basis.

I'm not trolling guys, that Kyokushin sparring format is terrible. and the least applicable of any combat system.. It breeds infighting with no face punching. Nobody fights like they do in that rule set.
Ah, yeah you're trolling. And the thing about 'face punching' is exactly the dumb MMA coaching mindset that makes MMA striking so dumb.

TSF puts up these threads because going over the important basic of martial arts is beyond the limited expertise here... with boxing being the exception. Like opining on Wing chun??? Have good Muay Thai people also... but very opinionated & in line with MMA conventional thought.

Nobody uses Wing Chun in MMA 'cause so few can understand it; let alone do it.<Kpop775>

Instead of posters congratulating themselves on how in-the-know they are... the best boxing video I've seen posted here (among many) is the Max Schmeling vs. Joe Louis fight. Although Joe Louis lost... the value of strong footwork along w the other solid, requisite boxing basics... showed throughout the success in his storied career.
Joe Louis Knockouts
•May 9, 2011

Reznick
61.2K subscribers
SUBSCRIBE
25 Title Defenses - All Time Record Reznick Productions Presents: All the best knockouts from the legendary Brown Bomber, Joe Louis

Not to mention Joe Louis was an exceptional physical specimen... he had the technical s to apply that gift.

Ah, yeah you're trolling. And the thing about 'face punching' is exactly the dumb
Ah, yeah you're trolling. And the thing about 'face punching' is exactly the dumb MMA coaching mindset that makes MMA striking so dumb.

TSF puts up these threads because going over the important basic of martial arts is beyond the limited expertise here... with boxing being the exception. Like opining on Wing chun??? Have good Muay Thai people also... but very opinionated & in line with MMA conventional thought.

Nobody uses Wing Chun in MMA 'cause so few can understand it; let alone do it.<Kpop775>

The fact that in a real fight people will target your face/head/neck has nothing to do with an "MMA mindset" its just common sense. Your head is one of the most vulnerable parts of your body and training in a way that actively teaches you not to worry about it is frankly stupid. In some ways it is worse than not sparring at all frankly as poor technique becomes a learned behavior.

A good example in the video is the tendency of the attackers (who are seemingly black belts) to land down on the front foot after the kick which in reality would walk you on to a counter punch. That's basic stuff.

The fact that in a real fight people will target your face/head/neck has nothing to do with an "MMA mindset" its just common sense. Your head is one of the most vulnerable parts of your body and training in a way that actively teaches you not to worry about it is frankly stupid.
It's even more stupid to damage your brain. A value of the Joe Louis highlight is that is showcases boxers standing in front of the opponent round after round taking strong head shots.

In some ways it is worse than not sparring at all frankly as poor technique becomes a learned behavior.
I will say the boxing resources (to my limited knowledge) here offer an excellent way to train intelligently... not that it's readily feasible to get people to do that.

On the other hand, we emphasize the approach in Judo, over the actual throw. We don't have to throw people to know how to throw people. This is where the traditional martial art approach is superior (IMO) to the narrow belief which MMA-minded whether it be boxing or Muay Thai or full contact 'karate' believe 'mixing it up,' is the magic elixir. You have most guys here who want to mix it up... hence bias.

A good example in the video is the tendency of the attackers (who are seemingly black belts) to land down on the front foot after the kick which in reality would walk you on to a counter punch. That's basic stuff.
I think that is a common ground, in that we believe that is DUMB. And the reason Kyo guys do that is because Kyo is presented as a karate that mixes-it-up and then people leave with no face left if karate punches full strength were allowed.

Last edited:
The fact that in a real fight people will target your face/head/neck has nothing to do with an "MMA mindset" its just common sense. Your head is one of the most vulnerable parts of your body and training in a way that actively teaches you not to worry about it is frankly stupid. In some ways it is worse than not sparring at all frankly as poor technique becomes a learned behavior.

I'm searching for a karate class video to also emphasize your point. When I find it I will edit.
EDIT: Here's that Rokas dude who ditched Aikido for MMA by SBG. SBG is big for actual sparring, Muay Thai, BJJ, etc., the MMA-heavy arts.

DUBLIN
From MMA To Karate - Spinning Kicks and Blitzing • Martial Arts Journey
•Dec 10, 2019

Martial Arts Journey
116K subscribers
Giving Karate a shot was on my bucket list for a while. Thankfully to the Hombu Dojo Karate in Dublin, they invited me to try out a couple of their Karate classes. Join me in this Martial Arts Journey and experience my first Karate classes together.

The takeaway is that Rokas is now willing to open his mind & try Traditional martial arts again.. . then makes a judgement when he's a donk like me w boxing footwork (now getting better but so embarrassing)... yet 'concludes' about karate. "Spinning kicks and Blitzing..."

What the head instructor imparts is that there is a lot to the Shotokan? karate style to get it to work... then look at the class... they too look poor. [There's a girl black-belt who does a kick just like you say, then steps down off balance leaning w face into the pad holder just like the mjw kyo sparring partner idiot. Exactly what the karate instructor says YOU CANNOT DO.]

The moral of the video is that one has to approach the art with intelligence to what the art is really all about... and as the Shotokan? head instructor makes very plain... it's not about wanging on the other guy... head or not.

Which all cycles back to that girl challenge boxing video I posted and which I never forgot. You have to do more than go through the motions... one has to dedicate oneself to the program. Only then will it be good.

Last edited:
MJW also has BJJ experience maybe blackbelt if Im remembering correctly...

Not to rain on you'll parade, but kyokushin is probably second only to muay Thai in successful participants in K1.

Back