News Michael Chiesa on staying at 170: I weighed about 200 lbs for my LW fights.

Ferguson also walks around at 200.

Gleison Tibau probably does too.

And yet he was only 188 lbs for his Welterweight fight at UFC 232.
Thats quite normal for welterweight, there's a difference between cage weight and walk around weight. His walk around weight might be 200 pounds

I don't know if anything to do with chiesa should be considered news at this point.

Unless someone mentioned his mom.

And people cry about Conor at 145 and Khabib... Shoot, that is bigger then some MW by fight night. ( doubt St Pierre was anywhere near that when he beat Bisping to become champ-champ )

WkyqFF.gif

That's nuts, this sh*t has to stop.
Would really like the UFC to introduce hydration tests and stuff.
Would be beneficial for both the fighters and the viewers in my opinion.
Well, Joanna dieted down to 122.4 lbs for the Namajunas rematch, but it took her getting TKO'd to do it and fighters should be proactive when it comes to adjusting their weight cuts as opposed to being reactive, because all it takes is one bad weight cut against someone with knockout power to cause some serious health concerns.

Thats quite normal for welterweight, there's a difference between cage weight and walk around weight. His walk around weight might be 200 pounds
Either TS is misleading us with the thread title, or Chiesa doesn't know the difference between what someone weighed before camp and on fight night.

Well, Joanna dieted down to 122.4 lbs for the Namajunas rematch, but it took her getting TKO'd to do it and fighters should be proactive when it comes to adjusting their weight cuts as opposed to being reactive, because all it takes is one bad weight cut against someone with knockout power to cause some serious health concerns.
Yeah, but i think it'd be even better if they were prevented from doing that in the first place.

And people cry about Conor at 145 and Khabib... Shoot, that is bigger then some MW by fight night. ( doubt St Pierre was anywhere near that when he beat Bisping to become champ-champ )
Chiesa cut from 175 lbs at Lightweight (11.43% weight cut) and 188 lbs at Welterweight (9.57% weight cut); that 200 lb figure is walk around weight and completely misleading.

Post-USADA, McGregor was allegedly cutting from 172 lbs (15.7% weight cut) for his Featherweight bouts, while Nurmagomedov started cutting from 166-170 lbs post-hospitalization (6.63-8.82% weight cut).

The truly insane ones are Holloway 178 lbs (18.54% weight cut), Dodson 152.4 lbs (17.98% weight cut) for his Flyweight bouts, and Ladd 159 lbs (15.1% weight cut) at Women's Bantamweight which is insane given that she's a woman. Cyborg used to cut from 170 lbs (14.7% weight cut), but lost 10 lbs after USADA.

For some perspective, 10% is an average weight cut for men and less than 10% is an average weight cut for women.

The truly insane ones are Holloway 178 lbs (18.54% weight cut)
How much better do you think Holloway would do if he cutted down from a weight of let's say ~165-170 pounds?
His power could potentially suffer, but i'd even doubt that.
His cardio and chin would be even better though in theory, wouldn't they?

How much better do you think Holloway would do if he cutted down from a weight of let's say ~165-170 pounds?
His power could potentially suffer, but i'd even doubt that.
His cardio and chin would be even better though in theory, wouldn't they?
For all I know he dieted down to a healthier weight post-slurring incident, I just don't have any more recent sources than 2017.

He lost to Pettis and Lee, then came back to beat Diego Sanchez and Carlos Condit? RDA should be able to wear him down as he did with Lee and get a late stoppage

Why do these skinny dudes lie about their weight so drastically? They look like shit for lifting standards. All the people that lift regularly look much bigger and better than the majority of these MMA fighters and they are nowhere near as heavy. For example, Tony Ferguson once said he weighs over 200 pounds. How would that be possible? He doesn't have a lot of muscle OR a lot of fat. I know people that are 170 that look bigger than what Michael Chiesa allegedly looks like at 200 pounds.

Of course, there are exceptions like Ngannou, Usman, and Romero.

Another example of someone that I cannot imagine being heavy is Max Holloway. Guy looks like skin and bone and has a small frame, yet people love to claim he's 200 pounds in this forum. I can't fathom that - not to disrespect anyone, but as a personal trainer and nutritionist (and also a big athlete), I cannot see them being so heavy. To expand upon my point, you have Colby Covington, who is significantly bigger than Holloway and Chiesa, and he admits he weighs 183 pounds (which, based on my experience, is accurate).

Why do these skinny dudes lie about their weight so drastically? They look like shit for lifting standards. All the people that lift regularly look much bigger and better than the majority of these MMA fighters and they are nowhere near as heavy. For example, Tony Ferguson once said he weighs over 200 pounds. How would that be possible? He doesn't have a lot of muscle OR a lot of fat. I know people that are 170 that look bigger than what Michael Chiesa allegedly looks like at 200 pounds.

Of course, there are exceptions like Ngannou, Usman, and Romero.

Another example of someone that I cannot imagine being heavy is Max Holloway. Guy looks like skin and bone and has a small frame, yet people love to claim he's 200 pounds in this forum. I can't fathom that - not to disrespect anyone, but as a personal trainer and nutritionist (and also a big athlete), I cannot see them being so heavy. To expand upon my point, you have Colby Covington, who is significantly bigger than Holloway and Chiesa, and he admits he weighs 183 pounds (which, based on my experience, is accurate).
I agree with this 100% this weights they claim are big and they look skinny, lanky. Very strange.

Highest weight cut I have on record is Holloway, pre-slurring incident; he cut from 178 lbs.
California fight? Sounds like a HUGE cut, not even LW's cut that much i believe.

I dont think a 45 lbs weight cut/ gain is possible. He was never 200 when he made 155. I call bs on that.
He did say outside of camp he was 200, not cutting from 200 so...hes 185 cutting to 170 which is normal. The thread title suggest he weighed 200 fight night at lw. Not at all what he said. I'm sure he was like maybe 180 tops at camp for lw, so he was losing 20 from street weight at camp then likely even more before the week of the fight.

Last edited:
I'm as confused by it as I am by the fact that Joanna used to cut 20 lbs despite having such a lanky frame.

Looks like just making pain faces to make it seem harder than it really is. Saw picture of johny hendricks in sauna with plastic bags and he seemed fine lol

HEndricks-Magny-Weight-cut-UFC-207.png

dang thats 9 pounds heavier than gsp was when he finished bisping

Walk around weight guys, not actual fight night in the cage weight. Think some people are getting confused.

UFC 212 in Brazil.

(Timestamped)

Sounds legit, i was expecting comission numbers but there isnt one in Brazil tho, its crazy, Pettis was 175 against Tony and that guy is a LW.

Back