Michael Chandler

EJRMAN513

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Alright so as you can tell from my sig I still have high hopes for his career but what do you think are some improvements he can make to reach the level that I think he can accomplish? I'll start.

Improve his striking defense all around. He has good movement that helps him defends some strikes but when he's in range for his opponents strikes he tends to get caught pretty easily. Basically he needs to keep his hands up.

Improve on his technical striking offense. We saw in his fight with Brooks that in the stand-up department he can get pretty wild which also doesn't help with his defense. He needs to tighten up on all his strikes instead of relying on his speed advantage to wing these wild hooks from hell. Also I heard in an interview that in the gym he shows a damn good kicking game so maybe he should start utilizing his kicks more.

Also by the time the third round came in his fights with Alvarez and his fight with Brooks he looked gassed to hell. Idk what it is because I'm always hearing how hard of a worker he is in the gym so I doubt it's a lack of cardiovascular training. I'm thinking that it's either over training or adrenaline drops. Obviously easier said than done but something really needs to be done there.

It's not often we see Chandler on the bottom when a fight is on the ground but when he is he tends to give up his back in an attempt to stand up or sweep his opponent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Idk if he trains alot on the bottom when in the gym but if he does it's looking like he needs more work in there.

So pretty much the improvements he needs to make IMO involve being a more technical fighter instead of constantly relying on powering his way and bullying his way through everybody he faces. Obviously some of the improvements he needs to make are tendencies that may take a while to improve upon or may just never get better but I feel that they needs to be looked by his team and coaches ASAP.

Go back to finishing fools, not having close decisions in crazy fights.

Go back to finishing fools, not having close decisions in crazy fights.

Yup, he's the Bellator's Frankie Edgar. Puts on a show but ends losing because the jugdes. He has all my support anyways, great fighter

If I were him I would watch all the flaws he had in the fight giving up the back to often, walking forward to quickly, combos, pacing, timing, stamina, endurance, etc. :icon_lol: Hang in there lots of time to learn like it says on his team shirt "obsessed" or is it "possessed" do that when training.

Last edited:
It's strange. Young guy with tremendous athletic traits plus a top flight camp and seemingly all of the tools needed to be a top 10 LW. I mean he can't judge his own fights obviously but there's gotta be something about the guy that doesn't resonate with them.

He's still really fckin good. People are acting like Will Brooks is some can, the guy is a big 155er trains at a great camp (ATT) and only has one career loss which he avenged in pure dominance.

I'm pretty much on board with everything you said TS. He's obviously a very talented fighter and I think that his ranking at the time was absolutely justified. He's got improvements to make but he's with a smart camp so I wouldn't be to worried about him fixing them.

chandler needs to work on his technical stand up , clean it up, cut more angles

He's still really fckin good. People are acting like Will Brooks is some can, the guy is a big 155er trains at a great camp (ATT) and only has one career loss which he avenged in pure dominance.

ATT has always been one of the most underrated camps imo. They have always produced great fighters. I think they are just missing that one truly great Poster fighter to make people realize it as one of the top tier training camps like Jackson MMA having Jones, Tristar having GSP, TAM having Faber etc.

He gets tired because he uses so much energy in his style. I'm sure he's in great shape but he throws power punches with no setup often and puts the emphasis on "power" double. His movement is also really explosive with a lot of big upper body movments. This makes him harder to hit and can put him in position to land a big bomb but against cleaner strikers like Alvarez and Brooks that hasn't been the case. Their shorter cleaner strikes out worked him and they kept moving to avoid his power shots.

Same thing when he grapples really. He goes for high risk low reward moves that used to work for him because he's such a good athlete and he does them with good technique.

I'd say he just needs to clean up his standup and fight a little more patient and strategically rather than trying to take the guys head off.

he tried to lnp a bit on the first and second round

as someone said in another thread, hes t he reverse bendo, he loses fights that he won

he lost because of his gas tank. he looked much stronger than brooks in the 1st and 2nd. he could have lnp'd for a 50-45 if he had better cardio.

don't do anything drastic just because he lost this fight. It was a close fight. If there were competent judges, at worst he gets a draw out of that fight.

Back