Michael Chandler vs the top 5 UFC 155ers

Ahmed Masood

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc...nsideration-for-ufc-fight-with-tony-ferguson/

So since Poirier has taken a leaf out of Masvidals book and decided to hold out for more money, it appears as if El-Cucuy will be fighting Michael Chandler, probably as the co-main to Khabib vs Justin. Therefore, here's a take on how Michael will do against the top 155ers in the UFC:

T-Ferg: Chandler will have the ability to take Ferguson down at will with an NCAA division wrestling background, as well as having pretty good submission defence, meaning that it is unlikely he will be caught in a triangle like Kevin lee, and decent cardio for 5 rounds. Whether he can keep the pace with El-Cucuy is another question but Chandler definitely has a chance in this fight, especially if he's able to lay heavy GNP given that we don't know where Tony's chin is at post-Gaethje. Still, Chandler has a weird tendency of occasionally trying to strike for a bit too long, and whilst his boxing is decent, it does allow him to be caught (see Patricio Pitbull fight). Standing with Ferguson could be dangerous as Chandler doesn't have the striking ability or power of Gaethje, so could easily be cut up. Therefore, I think Ferguson wins 55% of the time

Khabib: Chandler said on JRE that he is the worst stylistic matchup for Khabib. I actually think Chandler won't be able to catch Khabib as easily as saying Benson given Khabibs striking defence and the fact that a lot of Chandlers KO's have come from catching guys who fear the TD (which Khabib won't at least initially). Chandler will be the best grappler Khabibs faced and definitely has the ability to defend TD's, but I think Khabibs pressure and Sambo-freestyle hybrid could wear him down. I think Khabib wins 60% of the time.

Poirier: Probably the best stylistic matchup since Poiriers TDD isnt great. I don't think Chandler could catch Poirier with an overhand right since Poirier doesn't really defend TD's and as mentioned above, if Chandler stands with Dustin, it could present problems since Chandler has not dealt with a guy who has Poirier's combo punching and volume. I think this is a 50:50 fight.

Gaethje: Worst style matchup. Old Gaethje could have been competitive, but new Gaethjes movement, TDD, power, calf kicks will IMO break Chandler and will most likely KO him within 3 rds. Gaethjes cardio is also insane meaning Chandler cant weigh him down. I think Gaethje wins 75% of the time, purely because Gaethje has shown the ability to throw fights.

Conor: This could go like the Khabib fight, but more likely looks like the Alvarez with Chandler finding it difficult to shoot on and TD Conor, and will be countered brutally in the standup. Chandlers chin will not hold up to Conor's left hand. I think Conor wins 65% of the time.

Opinions Sherbros?

I think you are waaay too high on Chandler. He is a good fighter, but he was never a dominant force in Bellator. He kept getting the belt because the guys who beat him kept leaving for the UFC.

Tony would slice him to pieces on the ground, and be dominant in the standup.

Khabib would ragdoll the shit out of him. Mike is a good wrestler but there are levels to this and very good wrestling is amateur compared to Nurmagomedov.

Very likely he gets slept by Poirier or Gaethje in slugfests.

He will likely end up a fan friendly Cowboy type fighter that beats most but loses the big, important fights against elite competition.

I have doubts on the guy. Hell even Kevin Lee at rank #10 gives him trouble imo...

3 or 4 years ago, I’d have been way more interested in seeing him make the jump to the ufc, I’m still a fan but he seems slower now, also would have to deal with stricter drug testing

He's good enough to be a ranked 155er, but not good enough to be a serious contender. The top of that division is very, very good.

I love his style, would love to see him at 145. I think he could really dominate featherweight. Lightweight is just so competitive and those guys are just a lot bigger on average.

Chandler:
loses to Khabib a UD
loses to Tony a UD
beats Gaethje UD
beats Poirier UD
beats Do Bronx TKO
Im not sure about Gaethje and Poirier. Prime Chandler beats them but currently Chandler seems more chinny and hittable

Im not sure about Gaethje and Poirier. Prime Chandler beats them but currently Chandler seems more chinny and hittable

"Prime Chandler" as in when he lost to Will Brooks twice?

Chandler was never better than Justin and Dustin are now.

Chandler like Lima most likely gets starched by most ufc top 10.

they just on a different level...

Lima is much better than Chandler. I think Lima would whoop Masvidal's ass, and beats lots of topish guys in the UFC. I dont think he beats Usman or Colby but he is definitely elite.

Back