Media Michael Chandler on Olivera's SUB Game: I faced Yamauchi. I was on top of him beating him up

Peli

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

A similar fight for me was Goiti Yamauchi, who had 22 wins, 19 by submissions. Very well versed on his back. Very well versed if he took your back. The majority of that fight, I was on top of him beating him up, thwarting every single submission that he threw up and he paid a big price because of it. I'm not saying that's what's going to happen in the Charles Oliveira fight, but if we do go to the ground, I believe my superior grappling and grappling positioning will thwart all his submission offence.

Last edited:
fuck a sig bet, i will sacrifice any amount of blood if charlie olives subs mike

Good to have that experience under his belt having faced a taller Jiu Jitsu ace before. Dosen't mean it's directly translatable. Different styles and tendencies of jiu jitsu players and all. And thats not even factoring in the potential difference in striking and wrestling of Yamauchi and Charlie Olives. That being said I don't think from the bottom is where he needs to worry about the subs. Even strong BJJ players can be neutralized from top these days with how much submission defense is trained with these guys. Sure there's a chance he catches a sub from the bottom, but it's more getting swept when you're in danger when the BJJ guy gets top position. So the question lies how are the differences between Yamauchi, and Oliveira when it comes to creating sweeps and scrambles from the back? Unless the ground game difference is big there's usually a low percentage chance these days of succesful sub attempts from the bottom. It's usually more just an effort to sweep or scramble to superior position.

A similar fight for me was Goiti Yamauchi, who had 22 wins, 19 by submissions. Very well versed on his back. Very well versed if he took your back. The majority of that fight, I was on top of him beating him up, thwarting every single submission that he threw up and he paid a big price because of it. I'm not saying that's going to happen in the Charles Oliveira fight, but if we do go to the ground, I believe my superior grappling and grappling positioning will thwart all his submission offence.

Comparing the competition that Oliveira faced to what Yamaguchi faced would be like comparing Porsche to Honda Civid.

Reactions: mkt
20 career mma submissions is crazy. I don't care what promotion it is. That's insane lol.
They are both ridiculously good. I’d say Yamauchi’s JJ is more traditional based meaning his techniques are a bit more intricate and would translate well with a gi and Charles is more mma submission based and seem to come off of strikes, scrambles, and cage positions but nonetheless they are both super slick and skilled practitioners.

I'd put Oliveras grappling over Goiti's but it still would be tough for chucky to get a sub on ol Michael.

Goiti is good but I don't think he's subbed the same level of opponent as Charles has. Plus the speed Charles snatches things up is truly impressive.
Ehhh the best Jitz guy Oliveira has subbed is probably Jim Miller (who also submitted him) and Yamauchi is probably Piccolotti. I’d say that’s around the same level of jiu jitsu to be fair. Oliveira’s subbed a lot of good fighters but I wouldn’t call them “jiu jitsu guys” so it’s tough to say. Honestly they’re both very very close. I think if they went against each other gi vs gi Yamauchi would beat him though. He’s more traditional.

Ehhh the best Jitz guy Oliveira has subbed is probably Jim Miller and Yamauchi is probably Piccolotti. I’d say that’s around the same level of jui jitsu to be fair. Oliveira’s subbed a lot of good fighters but I wouldn’t call them “jui jitsu guys” so it’s tough to say. Honestly they’re both very very close. I think if they went against each other gi vs gi Yamauchi would beat him though. He’s more traditional.

Miller is a very good black belt who's been a black belt for a long time. Very good grappler.

He might beat him in gi but that doesn't really mean much in MMA

Back