Media Michael Chandler: Charles Oliveira ‘Probably the Scariest Opponent I’ve Ever Faced’

They probably won't end up on their backs because Oliveira won't be able to take them down

I think Oliveira is a better striker, and wrestler than Gaethje, or Chandler?
Olivera can take Chandler down or sweep him to get on top. Chandler's TDD isn't all the great. Gaethje is a harder one to pin down but his bjj severely lacking.

They have an advantage on the feet for sure but it is far from a given that they'd win just because of that

Olivera can take Chandler down or sweep him to get on top. Chandler's TDD isn't all the great. Gaethje is a harder one to pin down but his bjj severely lacking.

They have an advantage on the feet for sure but it is far from a given that they'd win just because of that

Agreed, I also think charles' striking is very underrated. His defense isn't amazing, but he has good varied offense with some serious power.

Quite a statement when Will Brooks made Chandler try to call his own TKO in the middle of a fight lol.

Reactions: mkt
Oliveira is so overrated at the minute

Hope I'm wrong because I love his BJJ, but he's just had good matchups recently, he's not THAT much better than he used to be
I've been saying this.

He's skilled, but looking at his recent run, it's nothing impressive. His only impressive fight was against Tony, but people only remember what you've done lately.

We'll see how he does, but I'm not yet convinced he's improved into some unbeatable fighter.

You’re in the UFC. It’s gonna be scary from now on.

This dude got KOd by a FW 3 fights ago, and Oliveira is still unproven. This title fight is a joke. They made this fight only because they are the only ones who did not fought Khabib.

Can chandler put the heat on him and make Oliviera fight off the back foot though?

I don't know but it's an exciting match up!

I've been saying this.

He's skilled, but looking at his recent run, it's nothing impressive. His only impressive fight was against Tony, but people only remember what you've done lately.

We'll see how he does, but I'm not yet convinced he's improved into some unbeatable fighter.
Yeah and imo Tony is washed now

He's gonna continue taking L's against worse and worse people, maybe he can get a win here or there, but he isn't prime Tony

Definitely the best submission fighter he's faced and should give him pause about trying takedowns

That being said, Chandler has never been submitted and compact wrestlers are a bitch on the mat.

I'm going Chandler by stoppage in the later rounds.

Oliviera is good enough to beat him. He knows that a submission loss can come his way Saturday night. I think he is mainly speaking to what Oliviera brings as an opponent and is promoting that. Chandler isn't by any means scared. He will be ready to get after it and could win.

I can’t believe he punched his own baby...
DisloyalBountifulBellfrog-size_restricted.gif

Oliveira is so overrated at the minute

Hope I'm wrong because I love his BJJ, but he's just had good matchups recently, he's not THAT much better than he used to be
Honestly that’s what I’ve been thinking too. Wouldn’t mind being proven wrong though.

They probably won't end up on their backs because Oliveira won't be able to take them down

I think Oliveira is a better striker, and wrestler than Gaethje, or Chandler?

His striking has gotten a lot better. Teymur is a very good striker and Oliveira was tooling him on the feet.

I'm curious what he means by "scariest". That could mean a few different things. If he's talking about a guy that poses a serious threat in every phase of the fight, then Oliveira probably is the scariest guy Chandler's ever fought. However, I think Alvarez was a stylistically tougher fight for Chandler, and if we're just looking at who the best fighter he's ever gone up against, Patricio is WAY scarier than Oliveira.
Oliviera pieces up pitbull.

Its a fair assessment and I'm excited for the fight. Rooting for Charles personally.
You know, in the early days, maybe.
But after he thoroughly beat Tony for 5 rounds, I kind of disagree with this assessment.
Tony is a cardio freak, and look what happened.

So this is not a sure path anymore. And if that is his gameplan, it needs reviewing.

edit: I just checked to make sure, and it was a 3 rounds fight... so he might have some advantage over a 5 rounds fight... but I don't think this is it.
I mean, I know he trains for 5 rounds, but Chandler's last fight that actually reached all 5 rounds fight was back in 2018...

Oliviera pieces up pitbull.

I 100% disagree. Pitbull is a fucking monster right now, and nightmare for ANYBODY in the weight class. Oliviera has been KO'd by Paul Felder, Cub Swanson, and Cerrone. If Friere connects clean, he's going to sleep.

That said, I LOVE and HATE this fight. Both guys are just tremendous, and I'll hate to see one of them lose..... not as much as I'd hate a draw though ;)

Back