Media Michael Chandler: Charles Oliveira ‘Probably the Scariest Opponent I’ve Ever Faced’

Peli

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
"I trained a lot of jiu-jitsu because Charles is very good, probably the scariest opponent I´ve ever faced in my whole career,” the former Bellator title holder recently told Combate.

That said, Chandler believes that if he can survive Oliveira’s initial blitz, he will be the stronger fighter over the course of a five-round championship bout.

"If He can't get the submission or knock out really fast, he starts to get tired and that's where I start to shine,” Chandler said. “I have no doubt that my athleticism will be a turning point in a 25- minute fight.

“Charles will start strong but will get tired and I´m not. I hope to get a knockout in the first two rounds, but the fans can also expect a 25-minutes war.”

https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/M...y-the-Scariest-Opponent-Ive-Ever-Faced-179290

It’s a great match for Chandler stylistically.

Do Bronx has some very polished ground game though.

Cant wait for this one.
Chandler-Delicious.gif

I'm curious what he means by "scariest". That could mean a few different things. If he's talking about a guy that poses a serious threat in every phase of the fight, then Oliveira probably is the scariest guy Chandler's ever fought. However, I think Alvarez was a stylistically tougher fight for Chandler, and if we're just looking at who the best fighter he's ever gone up against, Patricio is WAY scarier than Oliveira.

I'd think fighting Eddie back in the day would be a lot scarier.

Nah man, rooting for Oliveira here but I think one Chandler's punch in the torso and Oliveira is done.

Oliveira is so overrated at the minute

Hope I'm wrong because I love his BJJ, but he's just had good matchups recently, he's not THAT much better than he used to be
I disagree I think hes really come into his own. Hes not the best in the best in the division but he is rightfully top 3-5 right now.

Oliveira is so overrated at the minute

Hope I'm wrong because I love his BJJ, but he's just had good matchups recently, he's not THAT much better than he used to be
Not quite convinced either but if he puts away Chandler I will jump aboard the train.

I'm curious what he means by "scariest". That could mean a few different things. If he's talking about a guy that poses a serious threat in every phase of the fight, then Oliveira probably is the scariest guy Chandler's ever fought. However, I think Alvarez was a stylistically tougher fight for Chandler, and if we're just looking at who the best fighter he's ever gone up against, Patricio is WAY scarier than Oliveira.

I'm not sure about that. I know Pitbull made short work of Chandler, but he's gone to 5-round decisions and SDs with lesser fighters than Chandler or the current Oliveira....including a fighter who just lost to Sergio Pettis. This is the same Sergio who went 2-3 in his last 5 UFC fights.

I disagree I think hes really come into his own. Hes not the best in the best in the division but he is rightfully top 3-5 right now.
Yeah, but that's like a step above where he's always been

He's a little better, but people are acting like he is a world-beater now

I think guys like Dustin, Gaethje, Chandler who have good wrestling, will hurt him on the feet, and he won't be able to take them down

Chandler sounds very confident about his gas tank, but if the fight goes over 2 rounds, it's a coin flip as for which fighter will have better cardio and can take the other into deep waters.

Yeah, but that's like a step above where he's always been

He's a little better, but people are acting like he is a world-beater now

I think guys like Dustin, Gaethje, Chandler who have good wrestling, will hurt him on the feet, and he won't be able to take them down
Disagree. I think Dustin beats him for sure but I favor him against Chandler and Gaethje. Their defensive grappling (in different ways) is lacking and they just aren't used to being on their backs. They definitely have a chance to knock him out but I rate Charles as an all around better fighter.

Most of the criticism against Charles is from his FW days where he clearly was drained from cutting too much (his own fault but still) since moving up he has looked much better imo

Disagree. I think Dustin beats him for sure but I favor him against Chandler and Gaethje. Their defensive grappling (in different ways) is lacking and they just aren't used to being on their backs. They definitely have a chance to knock him out but I rate Charles as an all around better fighter.

Most of the criticism against Charles is from his FW days where he clearly was drained from cutting too much (his own fault but still) since moving up he has looked much better imo
They probably won't end up on their backs because Oliveira won't be able to take them down

I think Oliveira is a better striker, and wrestler than Gaethje, or Chandler?

Back