Mia St. John admits PED use during her career

She should have taken more...
Women-boxing-face-punched.gif
i want to believe that the ref is making that face because its so damn cringey and not because he was thinking about stopping the fight

I don't think you should be allowed to juice in a sport where you can kill or cripple another person, and it's not even that rare of an occurrence. But that's just me.

Also who tf is this bitch?

I don't think you should be allowed to juice in a sport where you can kill or cripple another person, and it's not even that rare of an occurrence. But that's just me.

Also who tf is this bitch?
Agree 100%.
Tennis/cycling/Golf/Baseball.... go to fucking town, I don't care if you juice up to Costa/Romero size, it only matters in terms of the "purity" of statistics... don't really give a fuck.

When somebody's life is in the balance, I think it would open you up to a manslaughter charge at the very least should the shit hit the fan.
Combat sports... definitely, but likely ALL contact sports should really try to lock this shit out.

^^^^^This. I don't think "vast" is too strong, either.

Higher.

I've accepted 99.9% of professional athletes are on or were on something classified as a PED, or banned substance.

That’s the reality of of high level sports. The greatest athletes will use whatever they can for an advantage

You’re apparently incredibly naive to this.
Very few fighters would be for such career ending penalties of a drug
Test.
But you are. And you’re very mad about it.

how am i naive? did i deny the existence of PEDs, or did i complain about the complacency of athletes and fans when it comes to performance enhancers? i said not everyone is on it, and that's an undisputable fact. and the fans are complicit in this charade, just look at this thread. most posters are saying or heavily implying that it's fine.

i think guys who aren't testing dirty would welcome these rules, seeing how they wouldn't affect them. what argument do you have to claim otherwise?

yes, i am angry about it. this shit can get people killed. it's no different than loading your gloves with fucking plaster. is my anger regarding cheaters somehow a valid argument for giving said cheaters some slack? what an asinine position to take in this debate.

how am i naive? did i deny the existence of PEDs, or did i complain about the complacency of athletes and fans when it comes to performance enhancers? i said not everyone is on it, and that's an undisputable fact. and the fans are complicit in this charade, just look at this thread. most posters are saying or heavily implying that it's fine.

i think guys who aren't testing dirty would welcome these rules, seeing how they wouldn't affect them. what argument do you have to claim otherwise?

yes, i am angry about it. this shit can get people killed. it's no different than loading your gloves with fucking plaster. is my anger regarding cheaters somehow a valid argument for giving said cheaters some slack? what an asinine position to take in this debate.

"it's no different than loading your gloves with fucking plaster. "

Help me understand how you can back that one up. I'm genuinely asking, not arguing.

"it's no different than loading your gloves with fucking plaster. "

Help me understand how you can back that one up. I'm genuinely asking, not arguing.
the effect of having loaded gloves is to inflict far more damage than you would without loading them. would you agree? i'd be a lot more confident in my ability to fuck someone up if their gloves were normal and mine were fiddled with.

the effect of performance enhancing drugs in boxing is often to inflict far more damage than you would without using them. they improve speed, power, durability. all of those factor into your ability to beat the living shit out of someone.

you see where i'm going with this?

It's better for the fans if everyone is on juice having super fights to the death.

Like Gohan vs Cell. Do you think he would have beat him without defeating time in a hyperbolic time chamber? Would have been a pretty shitty episode if they all just got slammed. Also Cell was also literally ABSORBING his opponents and their power levels. That's cheating if I ever saw it.

It's better for the fans if everyone is on juice having super fights to the death.

Like Gohan vs Cell. Do you think he would have beat him without defeating time in a hyperbolic time chamber? Would have been a pretty shitty episode if they all just got slammed. Also Cell was also literally ABSORBING his opponents and their power levels. That's cheating if I ever saw it.
that's a point of view that I rarely see expressed in these types of conversations, but yet so often needs to be said, kudos

I've accepted 99.9% of professional athletes are on or were on something classified as a PED, or banned substance.

I'd say 90%-ish use at the top level.
But if you say "were" and that includes rehabbing an injury or something at some point, then it's surely 100%.

It's complicated by the fact that so many other guys get away with it. Even if you're really morally centered around not wanting to cheat, how can you get into a 1990s heavyweight bout knowing the other guys are definitely juiced? Basically, the options are cheat or don't get in the ring.

Because of this, the whole thing is self-selecting. Anyone who really doesn't want to cheat (or hurt their bodies with questionable drug regimens) simply drops out. So everyone left are those willing to use PEDs.

This is why it is reasonable to say that all top guys use PEDS to the point they can get away with it. Everyone unwilling to use PEDs is also going to be unwilling to face someone who they know is.

So maybe the way to say it is: 100% of fighters who stay in the sport after realizing their opponents juice are going to be people willing to juice themselves.

You can't really blame the fighters though. It is really about the enforcement. In every sport, no matter how many rules you have there are penalties on almost every play -- because competitive people who have big money at stake are always going to push right to the limits of what's allowed.

the effect of having loaded gloves is to inflict far more damage than you would without loading them. would you agree? i'd be a lot more confident in my ability to fuck someone up if their gloves were normal and mine were fiddled with.

the effect of performance enhancing drugs in boxing is often to inflict far more damage than you would without using them. they improve speed, power, durability. all of those factor into your ability to beat the living shit out of someone.

you see where i'm going with this?

But doesn't that argument also apply to someone just training harder and better than someone else? They are improving their skill, speed and power to inflict more damage on their opponent. Not trying to be a smart ass more devil's advocate.

But doesn't that argument also apply to someone just training harder and better than someone else? They are improving their skill, speed and power to inflict more damage on their opponent. Not trying to be a smart ass more devil's advocate.

yup. and training is within the rules of the sport. putting plaster in your gloves isn't, and neither is injecting elephant growth hormone.

since the rules are pretty well defined, every athlete who agrees to a fight accepts the risk of being hit as hard as his opponent can manage. but they sign up to fight someone with human abilities, because the rules state that the gloves aren't to be fucked with, and the opponent can't have any performance enhancers in their system. when they fiddle with the gloves or use PEDs, they increase their abilities beyond the accepted threshold, and well into danger zone.

i know you're just provoking a debate here, but some people actually do believe that getting that extra push doesn't matter. it does. it makes a huge difference in what the outcome of the fight will be, and it can mean the difference between giving a man a concussion and killing him.

yup. and training is within the rules of the sport. putting plaster in your gloves isn't, and neither is injecting elephant growth hormone.

since the rules are pretty well defined, every athlete who agrees to a fight accepts the risk of being hit as hard as his opponent can manage. but they sign up to fight someone with human abilities, because the rules state that the gloves aren't to be fucked with, and the opponent can't have any performance enhancers in their system. when they fiddle with the gloves or use PEDs, they increase their abilities beyond the accepted threshold, and well into danger zone.

i know you're just provoking a debate here, but some people actually do believe that getting that extra push doesn't matter. it does. it makes a huge difference in what the outcome of the fight will be, and it can mean the difference between giving a man a concussion and killing him.

But some people have access to better training systems than their competitors. GGG trains at altitude but he his opponent might not have that option. That is within the rules but not everyone can access a mountain or hyperbaric chamber to increase their VO2 max. But I take your point that it's within the rules, I'm just illustrating that some things within the rules can give you give quite an advantage that a fighter with not as much resources can't hope to emulate. Then it becomes an unfair playing field.

But some people have access to better training systems than their competitors. GGG trains at altitude but he his opponent might not have that option. That is within the rules but not everyone can access a mountain or hyperbaric chamber to increase their VO2 max. But I take your point that it's within the rules, I'm just illustrating that some things within the rules can give you give quite an advantage that a fighter with not as much resources can't hope to emulate. Then it becomes an unfair playing field.
in that sense it's also unfair that GGG has long arms and hits like a truck.

but that doesn't mean putting a horseshoe in your glove when you fight him is cool, because you're just "leveling the field".

If average gym goers who are nobodies in sport are using PEDs then it's obvious professional sportsmen are on PEDs too.

Testing exists only to perpetuate a collective denial because humans are hypocrites.

Former boxer Mia St. John admits using PEDs in wake of Alvarez-Golovkin controversy
http://www.latimes.com/sports/boxing/la-sp-mia-st-john-20180811-story.html

St. John tweeted, “Whatever. Everyone does it & everyone in boxing knows it,” then admitted Saturday she used performance-enhancing substances during her own career.

St. John, who was 49-14-2 during a career that stretched from 1997 until 2016, told the Los Angeles Times in an extended telephone conversation Saturday that she used steroids including Winstrol, Deca Durabolin and Anavar, along with banned masking agents and weight-loss substances to prepare for an estimated 20 fights.

full text for non americans (as LA times is blocked in Europe) > https://cloud.allsync.com/s/CzaWm5MoF36sK8D
Wait what?!
Why is that?!
I’m refering to the fact LA times being blocked in europe... nothing else in the OP is significant to me. Espicially since I can access that link in the middle east.

Back