MGS4 - Solid Snake vs liquid Ocelot

Discussion in 'The Arcade' started by savemgs, May 20, 2014.

1. savemgs

savemgs Black Belt

[YT]2NS4kwtgIAA[/YT]
    I love this fight because it is essentially the culmination of two intense rivalries. It's the real Solid Snake versus a symbolic Liquid Snake and a symbolic Big Boss (age) versus the real Ocelot.

2. GearSolidMetal

GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

The stakes, plot, set up, and payoff were all top knotch.

But the gameplay? The hand-to-hand battles throughout the MGS series were quite lacking for me. The fights with Liquid, Solidus, and Ocelot were simple at best, and exercises of frustration at worst. The fight with Volgin in MGS3 was great overall, the only good thing about his horrible character. You weren't restricted to using one way to kill him, and using CQC against him was very satisfying.

But I kinda hated when it was revealed that Liquid Ocelot, was just Ocelot taking alot of therapy to convince him he was Liquid. Kinda weakened Ocelot as a character in MGS4, and it cheapened my two favorite scenes in MGS2, when Liquid 'spoke' through Ocelot.

3. lockon

lockon Black Belt

i thought that was a perfect wrap up for the series for me (at least at that time, i really thought mgs is done for). playing it gave me chills, as MGS is one my favorite game series of all time and it could be the last time i'll be playing as solid/old snake (my favorite video game protagonist). the changing of the bgms nailed it as well

4. savemgs

savemgs Black Belt

Me 2.
    But memetically, Liquid Ocelot could be argued to be the mental clone of Liquid Snake brought on by Revolver Ocelot's advanced hypnotherapy.
    It can also be argued that because Ocelot had idolized Big Boss and considered him as a friendly rival, Ocelot may have actually internalized the will of Liquid Snake since Liquid had similar goals to Big Boss and had previously wanted to surpass him. This is evidenced by the fact that even after the "Ocelot" phase of the final battle, Liquid Ocelot seemed greatly convinced that he had achieved Big Boss's "Outer Heaven" (the very same goal Liquid had tried to achieve) while alluding to Big Boss in a defiant manner.