Mginaction question

Zedsdead

White Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the videos on the website can be played on an iPhone?

Also, are videos added to the site very frequently?

As far as I know they cannot be played on an iPhone because iPhone does not support flash videos. They put up new videos at least 4 or 5 days a week usually of sparring, techniques, etc...

MGinaction has some very good features such as 25%, 50% and 75% slow motion and being able to build your own library of videos and categorize them however you want.

I believe I/iphone apps are in the works.

I'm trying it out this month. So far, I'm liking what I'm seeing. I've already run into about seven or eight tips on spinning armbars, maintaining back control and a bunch of deep guard (deep half, x, etc.) sweeps that I'll be adding to my game almost immediately.

Per their facebook page, an IPhone app is in the works but they did not list an ETA.

Also, I've only joined about a week ago but they seem to post a new vid every day M-F. Basically, they film Marcello's class instruction that day and then edit and post..so its the same as attending the instructional part of the class.

That said, there are so many vids already there it really isn't that relevant whether they post a new one or not on any given day...

I can't say enough about how much I've learned from this site (mginaction.com...not sherdog)...I strongly believe its the best instructional tool out there right now for any serious grappler.

Hope that helps.

I joined MGinaction when they started up, and no doubt it is a great site.

I think it is better suited for blue belts and up, however - if you are a struggling white belt like me, you might feel you are getting an information overload.

The layout of the music library is similar to that of an iPod or current Symbian S60 phones.

The iPhone can sort its media library by songs, artists, albums, videos, playlists, genres, composers, podcasts, audiobooks, and compilations. Options are always presented alphabetically, except in playlists, which retain their order from iTunes.

They are always adding new study features also which is pretty cool. That, when combined with the huge library of video, makes this a terrific research tool

does anyone ever have a problem in the speed of the website? i work nights and so every now and again i hop on to check out the site and it is always SLLLLOOOOOWWWW. navigating the site takes forever and the vids load pretty slow. you'd think in the dead of night there wouldn't be a server or bandwidth issue.

i was thinking about joining, but it would honestly bother a bit if that's how the site runs.

does anyone ever have a problem in the speed of the website? i work nights and so every now and again i hop on to check out the site and it is always SLLLLOOOOOWWWW. navigating the site takes forever and the vids load pretty slow. you'd think in the dead of night there wouldn't be a server or bandwidth issue.

i was thinking about joining, but it would honestly bother a bit if that's how the site runs.

Its slow to load the pages sometimes, and ironically more at night as you have noted. But, its mostly an annoyance more than anything, as the vids are usually fine once they get going.

I suspect the vids are being loaded by a different/faster server, so the slowness is really the core site and not the video host.

You should post about this on their boards there though as they do read and respond to issues directly via their boards.

Im very interested in the MGinaction website but im not sure if its worth the money. Any other opinions or things you guys can add on the subject??????

Im very interested in the MGinaction website but im not sure if its worth the money. Any other opinions or things you guys can add on the subject??????

it is marcelo garcia teaching.

if that is not worth the money then what is in the online bjj pay per month world?

I'm pretty happy with it. I've dramatically improved my knowledge from it and obviously the quality of instruction is top notch. Marcelo is a really good teacher, beyond being a great grappler.

Here are some of the positive and negatives that might help you decide:
First, the biggest strength (and possible weakness) is that it is completely freeform. It's not a step by step type of setup (ala the Gracie online site, that walks you step by step), but rather you have a totally searchable database, as well as expandable via tree config (i.e. Side Control->Top->Submissions).

If you are intermediate and higher, it's great b/c you can drill in to exactly the move/position options you want to research and improve. I no longer feel I am nearly as dependent on my instructor for example for answering questions or giving me explanations...I can just go drill in and find it myself online, and in fact I end up showing him a lot of new options I've learned from MGinAction.

If you are a beginner, then it may be more overwhelming b/c you're basically staring about 1800 technique vids in the face and wondering where to start. I've seen some feedback about this and I think the trick there is to completely focus on one area/technique only and ignore most of the rest. They did post about this on their boards and recommended people filter and use just the techniques that show up under fundamentals tab and skip those that show under advanced.

The other thing I like about it is that you can load up a queue of clips from MG rolling and see him implementing a move over and over again in live rolling...this adds a nice perspective after seeing him explain it slowly in the technique vid.

So, to summarize, whether it's worth the money is probably more directly linked to your experience level and what you think you'll be able to pull out of it.

They do post his daily class usually each night, so it's also somewhat like attending his school if you watch the latest vid each day.

Try the one week trial (they do require a credit card to register for it though they shouldn't charge you if you cancel before the one week is over) and you can play around with it and see what you think.

Actually, I checked and I guess they aren't offering the one week trial anymore unless you have a referral, so you can use mine to get it:
https://www.mginaction.com/register.aspx?referringusercode=99b5d8c4f10442aca77b2620888e8496

[note: if you end up signing up with them after using the 1 week trial above, in theory I get $25....I don't really care about that but rather am just noting this as full dislosure. Another site was recently spewing out emails promoting MgInAction with a one week trial link and conveniently failed to mention this financial aspect, spinning it like they had cut some exclusive offer for people on their email list, and I found it annoying.]

I will also add that specifically for nogi and guard passing, I like Pablo's DVD's better...but thats a stylistic thing and they do have a lot of guard passing on MGinAction. Otherwise, MGinAction is my goto place. I can't imagine not having access to it b/c it's the biggest online repository of grappling knowledge I am aware of.

Long post but hope that helps provide some insight.

I watch mginaction vids on my ipod touch sometimes.

It can't support flash (booo), but if I see a video I really like and want to take to class with me, I use a firefox plugin that can download flash video from any site (sothink video plugin). Then I convert it to an ipod/iphone format with a video converter and load it through itunes. It's a bit of work, but I like to have my videos with me on the go.

It seems really tempting, the thing I am worried about is that it may be orientated towards Marcelos game. I use a lot of DLR and deep half guard which I don't think Marcelo uses very much.

I really appreciate the write up you have done so far.

It seems really tempting, the thing I am worried about is that it may be orientated towards Marcelos game. I use a lot of DLR and deep half guard which I don't think Marcelo uses very much.

I really appreciate the write up you have done so far.

No problem re: writeup, glad it helped.

The instruction is basically MG showing/teaching his game and I have not seen anything on DLR or deep half guard. Rather, the one thing I recall is them showing a vid on defending deep half and noting that you do not initiate deep half guard but need to know how to defend.

Marcelos guard is 1 leg X guard, X guard and butterfly and that is what the technique vids show for guard.

So given that, I think you have a good point and would say MG is not the best resource for you if you were hoping to use it to develop your current guard style.

Back