Mexico: Monster truck driver goes berzerk. 8 Dead, 79 injured

Aegon Spengler

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/06/mexico-monster-truck-accident-kills-8-injures-79

Eight people, including four children, were killed and 79 injured when a monster truck careened into a crowd at a show in northern Mexico, an official at the public prosecutor's office in the city of Chihuahua said on Sunday.

Apparantly he might have been drinking.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-driver-detained-horrific-crash-killed-8.html

Authorities say alcohol was detected on the breath of Francico Velazquez, who was performing stunts a the event on the outskirts of Chihuahua.

Very sad and tragic. Mexico is going through enough horrible stuff as it is. Can't even go to a god damn monster truck show anymore.

That is horrorfying to think people were there with their kids and this guy goes postal running over the spectators.

Why were people standing that close in the first place and in the path of the truck.

Damn! I am just trying to pictire a monster truck tearing up a crowd.

Nope, doesn't sound pretty. Poor people and kids.

Why were people standing that close in the first place and in the path of the truck.

^^Wrong. Why the driver was performing drunk in the first place?? That's the question.

This sounds worse than the time I went to a donkey show only to find out the donkey was drunk and couldn't perform.

^^Wrong. Why the driver was performing drunk in the first place?? That's the question.

Doesn't matter if he's drunk or not, common sense should tell you not to stand in the path of a monster truck.

Doesn't matter if he's drunk or not, common sense should tell you not to stand in the path of a monster truck.

Common sense tells you that everything is in control, they are "professionals".

What the hell are you talking about ?? Of course it matters if the driver is drunk.

Aren’t the drug cartels dangerous enough in Mexico? Now we have to worry about drunks driving Monster Trucks

I'm just surprised this didn't happen in Florida.

They weren't in the path of the monster truck. See, the truck is supposed to stay INSIDE the monster truck arena, and NOT drive over the barricades into the crowd. The path of the monster truck includes everything INSIDE the barricades. A competent drive would have little trouble keeping it there. This guy was not competent and killed a bunch of innocent people...not their fault.

Obviously Mexican congress needs to enact strict monster truck control laws.

Common sense tells you that everything is in control, they are "professionals".

What the hell are you talking about ?? Of course it matters if the driver is drunk.

When I'm around a 1500hp vehicle with tires bigger than me that could squash me like a bug, common sense tells me not to stand anywhere near the thing or be anywhere near the path it could possibly take, professionals or not.

Am I saying it's the crowds fault? Partially yes because they put themselves in a situation that could have been avoided by not being in the path. Should the driver be held responsible for being drunk? Definately.

They weren't in the path of the monster truck. See, the truck is supposed to stay INSIDE the monster truck arena, and NOT drive over the barricades into the crowd. The path of the monster truck includes everything INSIDE the barricades. A competent drive would have little trouble keeping it there. This guy was not competent and killed a bunch of innocent people...not their fault.

What barrier? There was no barrier there.
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...ho-plowed-into-crowd-killing-8-in-mexico?lite
It then makes a second pass at higher speed, coming down sharply nose first and bouncing violently before piling straight into the crowd, which stood directly in the path of the monster truck unprotected by any wall or barrier.

lol @ Mexico...you're right, not even a fence or some bales of straw. The first time I watched it I thought there was a crappy fence there or something at least.

Still not their fault, a capable driver stays out of the crowd, barrier or no barrier. It's pretty clear where the crowd was supposed to be and where the truck was supposed to be. There's an agreement at something like this that the driver keeps the truck on the course.

lol @ Mexico...you're right, not even a fence or some bales of straw. The first time I watched it I thought there was a crappy fence there or something at least.

Still not their fault, a capable driver stays out of the crowd, barrier or no barrier. It's pretty clear where the crowd was supposed to be and where the truck was supposed to be. There's an agreement at something like this that the driver keeps the truck on the course.

I'm sticking to common sense should tell you not to stand in the way of something like that, even if they are supposed to be professionals, especially if there's no barrier. I'm not completely blaming the crowd at all, I say 95% of the blame goes on the driver.

Back