Mexican style

mrpopenfresh

Red Belt
Reaction score
So what's up with mexican style gloves? Whats the difference, advantages etc. I've always been curious about this. Are there other types of gloves too?

Mexican style boxing gloves generally have less padding over the knuckles and stiffer/harder padding compared to regular boxing gloves. They have more sting when you get hit due to this, and many people don't like using them for sparring but some are fine with it (depends where you train). Cleto Reyes would be the prime example. They're called "Puncher's gloves" for a reason.

Mexican style boxing gloves generally have less padding over the knuckles and stiffer/harder padding compared to regular boxing gloves. They have more sting when you get hit due to this, and many people don't like using them for sparring but some are fine with it (depends where you train). Cleto Reyes would be the prime example. They're called "Puncher's gloves" for a reason.

This said, aren't they better than the regular when fighting? Or do they have disadvantages as well?

This said, aren't they better than the regular when fighting? Or do they have disadvantages as well?

Advantage: hurts your opponent more, helps you get the KO

Disadvantage: easier to break your hands

What kind of fighter would be better off using one or the other?

mostly heavy punchers, like pacquiao, pavlik, j.c. chavez use mexican style glove such as cleto reyes. boxers with fragile hands or hand problems like erik morales and mayweather use more padded gloves like winning or grant.

but mostly it refers to the fight gloves when talking about punchers gloves... for the training gloves they are harder on your opponents and not reccomended for 100% sparring... but for light sparring/bag and pad work/ they are second to none

Advantage: hurts your opponent more, helps you get the KO

Disadvantage: easier to break your hands

for the training gloves i thought they protect better...i get no feed back when i hit something i feel it because it is solid but not anything on the knuckles:icon_chee

for the training gloves i thought they protect better...i get no feed back when i hit something i feel it because it is solid but not anything on the knuckles:icon_chee

I have the Mexican market Cleto Reyes training gloves, the "extra wide" as some people would call it. They definitely provide good protection, but then again I have the 18oz version. Still not nearly as protective as some of my other gloves as the padding is noticeably thinner over the knuckles. I like training with them however, as long as I'm not nursing a hand injury, because I like the feedback you get when hitting the pads and bag. With Winning you can't feel anything, and sometimes I'm in the mood for some sting on my knuckles. Well, just a little.

Are there any differences between regular boxing gloves and Thai boxing gloves?

Thai gloves are normally shorter cuffed and more flexible.

But, many Thai brands make gloves in the mexican design. King and some Fairtex have longer cuffs.

breaking ur hands is easier but KO power is easier to generate coz of thinner padding

And what about the padding?

...thanks to everyone who's taking time to answer my newbie questions!

Padding is about the same, depending on the brand. Thai style gloves aren't thin around the knuckles like Mexican style, if that's what you're asking.

Are there any good manufacturers of mexican gloves aside from cleto?

Are there any good manufacturers of mexican gloves aside from cleto?

Grant, but padding is thicker than Cletos, in fact it's closer to regular Western boxing gloves when it comes to knuckle padding from what I've seen.

Title Boxing has a Pro-Mex glove which is advertised as being old-school Mexican style. I've heard it called a cheaper version of Cleto Reyes, but not as high quality in construction.

Fairtex BGV9s are a Mexican style glove, the "Heavy Hitters" as they're sometimes called, but they aren't meant for sparring, only bag and padwork.

Hayabusa Boxing gloves are patterned after Grant, so they're a Mexican style glove. Not recommended for hard sparring, but great for bag and pads.

Padding is about the same, depending on the brand. Thai style gloves aren't thin around the knuckles like Mexican style, if that's what you're asking.

Yeah, that's what I meant! So they're more like western boxing...

Grant, but padding is thicker than Cletos, in fact it's closer to regular Western boxing gloves when it comes to knuckle padding from what I've seen.

Title Boxing has a Pro-Mex glove which is advertised as being old-school Mexican style. I've heard it called a cheaper version of Cleto Reyes, but not as high quality in construction.

Fairtex BGV9s are a Mexican style glove, the "Heavy Hitters" as they're sometimes called, but they aren't meant for sparring, only bag and padwork.

Hayabusa Boxing gloves are patterned after Grant, so they're a Mexican style glove. Not recommended for hard sparring, but great for bag and pads.

As far as you know, do the other Thai brands make Mexican style gloves or is it just Fairtex?

Back