Mexican gloves various brands

I've been wondering about those. They do say they are made in Mexico, though as I'm learning I don't think I'm entirely a big fan of the 'mexican style'. So something made there but not similar might be just the thing I'm looking for. How are they different?
I don't think anyone you see talking about Mexican style gloves is commenting on something that resembles a pro fight glove.

I've been wondering about those. They do say they are made in Mexico, though as I'm learning I don't think I'm entirely a big fan of the 'mexican style'. So something made there but not similar might be just the thing I'm looking for. How are they different?
Just to clarify, I’m referring to the pro fight gloves, as opposed to their training gloves. The MX training gloves are pretty similar to other Mexican gloves in my opinion, although the padding is a little softer than most brands and the thumb position seems a little more natural than some other Mexican brands (keep in mind, everyone’s thumbs are a little different and there are tons of varying opinions about this). The pro fight gloves I’m talking about are horsehair and similar to Reyes fight gloves. However, they are wider than the Reyes fight gloves and have even less hand protection, so they offer great feedback on the mitts and aquabag I use. I probably wouldn’t use them on a regular heavy bag, at least not with full force.

Hey guys
I've got these New Sporting 10 oz Fight Gloves, filled with Horse Hair. I got these gloves planning to have them in Stock for sale, but I'm basically looking for a justification to keep them for my collection and personal use - Ha.

Have any of you used these kind of Fight gloves for any kind of training? What kind of training could it be worth using these?

My understanding is these type of Fight gloves made of Horse hair, may not last as long as a training glove for intense training. So wondering if there could be any value/ worth on using these for any specific type of training.

Any thought?

72f715_f938dc34e91747c286ae72acd4918609~mv2.webp

72f715_440d0d52426b46dc982dd0f15b630d93~mv2.webp

72f715_f66331fa929140a89e9715eb3724c9ad~mv2.webp

Hey guys
I've got these New Sporting 10 oz Fight Gloves, filled with Horse Hair. I got these gloves planning to have them in Stock for sale, but I'm basically looking for a justification to keep them for my collection and personal use - Ha.

Have any of you used these kind of Fight gloves for any kind of training? What kind of training could it be worth using these?

My understanding is these type of Fight gloves made of Horse hair, may not last as long as a training glove for intense training. So wondering if there could be any value/ worth on using these for any specific type of training.

Any thought?

72f715_f938dc34e91747c286ae72acd4918609~mv2.webp

72f715_440d0d52426b46dc982dd0f15b630d93~mv2.webp

72f715_f66331fa929140a89e9715eb3724c9ad~mv2.webp
Easy you can use it for mit work and for speedbag.

Easy you can use it for mitt work and for speedbag.

Have you used horse hair gloves before for these workouts?

How many hours would you say you've put into those with the same gloves?

What % of usage would you say the gloves still look like?

My questions may be too specifics, but just trying to understand/ have a better idea of horse hair gloves durability.

Have you used horse hair gloves before for these workouts?

How many hours would you say you've put into those with the same gloves?

What % of usage would you say the gloves still look like?

My questions may be too specifics, but just trying to understand/ have a better idea of horse hair gloves durability.
I don't own personally horse hair gloves, but their are on my list. I have pro fighter who uses his Cleto Reyes fight gloves for mit work probably more than two years now. I also have seen some fight gloves that are still used in several pro fights and when I check them before fight they are in good condition.

I don't own personally horse hair gloves, but their are on my list. I have pro fighter who uses his Cleto Reyes fight gloves for mit work probably more than two years now. I also have seen some fight gloves that are still used in several pro fights and when I check them before fight they are in good condition.

Thanks @Lotnik , interesting to hear this. This is good to know, because I haven't got any experience with Fight gloves, my idea is they last lesser, but sounds like not as quick as I was thinking of.

I think you finger need to worry. As far as you will not use then on heavy bag they should last.

I think you finger need to worry. As far as you will not use then on heavy bag they should last.
I used to be able to get used pro fight gloves for a really good price from a guy who had some good connections. Guys would often use them for that one fight and then basically discard them. Anyway, I used to get a lot of the Reyes and Everlast MX fight gloves, which are both made with horse hair. I would use them on the mitts and even my 45 lb aquabag, and they lasted a lot longer than I expected. I know there was one pair of Reyes that I probably used for several hundred rounds on the bag.

Got my pair of Russianboxer gloves and this Grant comparison madness needs to stop. A couple of YouTubers reviewers mention it and maybe they are getting paid or are getting specific pairs sent to them, but mine go immediately to the bottom of the pile.

I've never used Grant, but unless their hand compartments are comically big, padding is very poor, and lining can be best described as having a burlap or newspaper quality, then these Russianboxer gloves have nothing in common except for their shape.

The only positive I can say so far is the wrist support is good and the wrist closure around the forearm feels good.

Otherwise wow, Hard pass.

In other news, is anyone interested in purchasing of a pair of practically new 14oz velcro Russian boxer gloves......

Thanks for this review. I was this close to order a pair, I must say they look amazing:

20210507_110047-01.jpeg

But I trust you. The new Grant are not that good apparently and even if Russian Boxer gloves are the same, hard to be sure.
The old Grant, with the name on the logo were the real deal. But today there are very hard to find, and buying a 10 years old used gloves 500$... Well that makes no sense. But to have a 12oz lace grant from this period, the quality was really amazing. Just the thumb a little short for my taste.

Those youtube channel can be very tricky.... I respect Carlo from CSquare but at the end, he is not more an expert than any other regular guy, and we have to be careful to not buy crap. Grant is the the most copied gloves (ebay is full of them) and nothing easier to buy 60$ gloves, put your brand and "Heicho in Mexico" on it and selling it 250$...

But anyone with other informations about Russian Boxer is welcome. I'm curious of this brand, and I wish to know more about it... I really like the design and color.

Last edited:
Thanks for this review. I was this close to order a pair, I must say they look amazing:

20210507_110047-01.jpeg

But I trust you. The new Grant are not that good apparently and even if Russian Boxer gloves are the same, it's not really worth it.
The old Grant, with the name on the logo were the real deal. But today there are very hard to find, and buying a 10 years old used gloves 500$... Well that makes no sense. But to have a 12oz lace grant from this period, the quality was really amazing. Just the thumb a little short for my taste.

Those youtube channel can be very tricky.... I respect Carlo from CSquare but at the end, he is not more an expert than any other regular guy, and we have to be careful to not buy crap. Grant is the the most copied gloves (ebay is full of them) and nothing easier to buy 60$ gloves, put your brand and "Heicho in Mexico" on it and selling it 250$...

But anyone with other informations about Russian Boxer is welcome. I'm curious of this brand, and I wish to know more about it... I really like the design and color.

Hii sorry, you said new grant is not too good but the 12oz from this period is amazing. Do you mean different batch? Is the 12oz also has big compartment like other brand with 14oz?
I only have old series and curious with new series, just not sure with the sizing.
Thank you

I only have the old series, so I don't know about the new one. But people seems to say that the quality went down a little.

I will be very interest to buy the Russian Boxer gloves if they are indeed Grant gloves. But why someone would sell Grant gloves for half the price?

I will be very interest to buy the Russian Boxer gloves if they are indeed Grant gloves. But why someone would sell Grant gloves for half the price?
The question doesn't make sense, because they aren't Grant gloves without the "Grant" branding. It's the branding that allows Grant to charge such insane prices, certainly not the manufacturing costs.

You understood what I mean. If it is certain that those russian boxer gloves are technically the same that Grant, branding a part, it is interesting. I personally do not look at the logo of my gloves while training.

You understood what I mean. If it is certain that those russian boxer gloves are technically the same that Grant, branding a part, it is interesting. I personally do not look at the logo of my gloves while training.
I understood what you meant, and I made a point based on it. There's nothing confusing about the situation really. People who buy Grant at this point in time, with the crazily inflated price, 100% buy based on brand recognition. The price is not based on manufacturing costs. Any brand without the same brand recognition as Grant, even with the same former or current manufacturer is going to have to sell at a much lower cost.

I owned a couple older pairs of Grant gloves about 9 years ago (one training pair, one fight gloves), I think when they were priced at $199 it was okay. Nowadays it's just silly.

I understood what you meant, and I made a point based on it. There's nothing confusing about the situation really. People who buy Grant at this point in time, with the crazily inflated price, 100% buy based on brand recognition. The price is not based on manufacturing costs. Any brand without the same brand recognition as Grant, even with the same former or current manufacturer is going to have to sell at a much lower cost.

I owned a couple older pairs of Grant gloves about 9 years ago (one training pair, one fight gloves), I think when they were priced at $199 it was okay. Nowadays it's just silly.

I am agree, i think we actually buy the brand than the gloves itself lol. If we put off the logo, i think some people don’t want to pay with that price.
I can’t imagine if grant still with that old price, it will be amazing lol.

I am totally agreeing with you.
It's why those Russian Boxer at 235$ with shipping can be a good deal. IF they are legit. A "Heicho in Mexico" it's not enough for me to be a sign of quality.

I posted this picture in another thread but wanted to include it here too as these are almost all Mexican made gloves (Cleto Reyes, Grant, Necalli/Casanova, GIL, and New Sporting). The only non-Mexican gloves in the photo are the Flys and the 1v1s.

1461ED7C-0E83-4DEC-AAEE-C0F0C1378F15.jpeg

I don't have the full review up yet, just the photos but my thoughts still remain the same. That said, I've never tried Grant themselves, and the Fit2Box guy just put up a review also claiming they were very Grant-like. So either the ones they send to people as samples are different than the ones regular folk like me have to buy, or I am just not a fan of Grants. (Someone did mention earlier the cavernous hand compartment and newspaper quality lining was a true description for Grant).

Anyway, I'll update when the actual review is written up, but you've got some photos in the meantime. (Also still coming is a Gil review, which I find much nicer than Russianboxer all around. Photos of those are up too, as is the full Cleto review).

Russian Boxer (14oz Velcro) — Fightglove Reviews

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back