Mexican Fighters and Mariachi Music

I used to get translations from my spanish speaking friends, and ya that music really is about some crazy shit. Either a chick they lost, or running drugs, or getting drunk.

Mariachi music and corridos are way too different in style and substance (costumes, songs structure, lyrics, instruments, subjects, etc.)...of course there are songs that are played by both mariachis and corridos bands (it's mexican popular music after all) but in the end there are way too many differences between the two genres....

I always liked Margarito's entrance to Vicente fernandez

So what music do colombian boxers enter to?

This dude is awesome.

157285740-man-dressed-in-a-skeleton-costume-waves-the-gettyimages.jpg

BIG BUMP

Just discovering Corrido music.

Found a huge thread on a latino subforum of another boxing webforum... Not sure what the rules are on linking to it.

Here's another link
http://heavybagboxing.com/2013/02/for-our-non-spanish-speaking-boxingheads/

Quoted from that website

This song is called, “El Ausente,” which translates to “the absent.” Mexican boxers will some times use this song after coming from a long lay off or after a defeat. The message is pretty much, “watch out because I’m back!”

The next is

“El Albañil,” and it translates to “the bricklayer.” This song is usually picked by Mexican boxers because its message of “don’t judge a book by its cover.” In other words, don’t underestimate him or take him lightly.

Next

“El Hijo del Palenque,” translates to “the son of the arena.” A palenque is an arena used in Mexico for cock fights. This song is the embodiment of a fighter’s song. In the very last verse it literally states, “You might be able to beat me, but you will suffer in the process.”

“No Me Se Rajar,” and it translate to “I don’t know how to give up.” This is a song that fighters like Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., Erik Morales, and other great Mexican warriors have made their grand entrances with. This song in particular has a message of “talk is cheap,” and “no matter what I’m not giving up!”

I recognized some of these songs from fighter walkouts. Pretty interesting stuff.

If I was pro, I'd ring walk out to "Mary had a little lamb" and other such classics.

All sung by a chorus of elementary school kids..............or by a group of Gregorian chanters in full church regalia.

{<BJPeen}

Two things i've noticed. Mexican-AMerican fighters tend to come out with the Mexican flag colors more so than the Mexican-National fighters. And Mexican-American fighters come out to Mariachi more often than Mexican-National fighters.

Its prohibited for mexicans to wear the national flag on clothes (variation son the color scheme can be passed), unless its a delegation that represents the nation like olympic atlethes.

Its also prohibited to sing the natonal anthem in a differnt key/speed/tone unlike the american anthem you see being sang as soul/rock/declamation and so on on diffrent events.

De-La-Hoya_02web.jpg

rs_600x600-141026195854-620x620xjustin-bieber-mexico.jpg.pagespeed.ic.pG5P-juObb.jpg

Last edited:
I always put it down to national pride. There is always something rousing about seeing a fighter come out to music associated with his nation, and the crowd reaction.

Kultar Gill the Indian MMA fighter always comes out to Bhangra, which is traditional Indian Punjabi Folk music. I love it, you feel he is representing his people.

Especially when fighting in the USA its something that seems to hype/unite the crowd.

Fighters from Sinaloa use banda many times, JCCjr came out to banda on his fight against Canelo, kinda hyped the fight even more as Jalisco is home of Mariachi music and Sinaloa of Banda. so you have deeper layers of rivalry there, too bad the fight sucked so much, I have to admit I was more hyped.

Last edited:
Just one thing: that's a "corrido" or to be more accurate, a "narco-corrido", not a mariachi song...biggest differences are the subjects (corridos are, like you said, about death, crime, drug-dealing, vendettas, etc., mariachi songs are usually about lost love, good times and friendship), corrido bands often use electric instruments (bass, guitars) and drums while mariachi music is mostly acoustic with guitars, trumpets and violins. I could go on and on but you're right in your last sentence: asking why Mexicans would come out to Mariachi is also akin to asking what's up with them eating tortillas.

This is mariachi music:

YouTube - "SON DE LA NEGRA" MARIACHI NUEVO TECALITLAN

Marichi can be corridos too, the first corridos were created during the civil war telling the adventures of the revolution fighters, corrido is basically a tale recounting the adventures of certain person.

Mariachi
1004781704-770x470.jpg

norteño

1424.jpg

banda

banda-carnaval-990x660.jpg

Last edited:
I’d come to the ring to Feliz Macidad by El Vez the Mexican Elvis and have about 30 people dressed as batman behind me.

If Don Rickles (RIP) was still alive he’d do some stand up before I started the ringwalk.

I’d come to the ring to Feliz Macidad by El Vez the Mexican Elvis and have about 30 people dressed as batman behind me.

If Don Rickles (RIP) was still alive he’d do some stand up before I started the ringwalk.
RIP sunfish. hope youre watching this weekends fights on the big screen in the sky

Back