Mexican Boxing Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
My black zepols had an issue with this but it hasnt bothered me juan let me know this might happen with my pair and he gave me the choise of having them remaid. my white zepols still look perfect and dont expect this to be a problem at all

Those are some bad ass gloves, Juan!

I think the converters will look great. Does my opinion count? :redface:

My black zepols had an issue with this but it hasnt bothered me juan let me know this might happen with my pair and he gave me the choise of having them remaid. my white zepols still look perfect and dont expect this to be a problem at all

I don't want to put Juan thru the trouble of having my gloves re-made. What can I do to save whatever is left of the decal and prevent the rest of it from peeling off?

I was thinking about blowdrying it for a few minutes. Would that be effective?

In these pictures, I am comparing a pair of 16 oz Zepol Customs to a pair of 16 oz Cleto Reyes. My friend Mark was kind enough to loan me his Reyes gloves and allow me to take the pics.

**The Reyes gloves are a 2001 model purchased from Ringside. I do not know how they compare to the Mexican Model Reyes gloves, or to later models adopted by Ringside that include white palms and triple tones.

A general view:

CIMG0012_zps1ab6bd85.jpg

You can see that the Zepols are roughly the same size as the Reyes, if not ever slightly smaller

The palm-side view:

CIMG0013_zps61eb1c55.jpg

Reyes employs what appears to be superior stitching, notably the use of double-stitching along the edge of the thumb, the palm surrounding the piping and laces, and the grip-bar. Zepol uses a single-stitching. Other points of interest:

-The Reyes thumb is vented. It also has greater thumb-curvature.
-The Padding on the medial(ulnar) side of the glove is shorter on the Zepol.
-Reyes uses traditional laces, Zepol uses a flatter and wider ribbon-like lace that so far has worked just as well.

Profile view (radial):

CIMG0014_zps3c4f127f.jpg

The Zepol thumb compartment is slightly smaller, and the triple-cuff padding is much, much thicker on the Reyes. There is also a reinforcing stitch-line on the edge of the Reyes triple-cuff that can be seen in white thread.

Profile view (ulnar):

CIMG0015_zpsdc9b07ac.jpg

The Zepol grip-bar is very small. It is about 1/3 the size of the Reyes grip-bar. Again note the single-stitching in the Zepol as compared to the double-stitching in the Reyes.

The Zepols have thicker padding in the knuckle and punching areas, whereas the Reyes' have thicker padding in the palm and wrist/cuff areas.

Knuckle comparison (top view):

CIMG0016_zps9d34666d.jpg

The area of the Zepol striking-surface is a bit smaller than that of the Reyes. The region where the Zepol thumb connects tot he body of the glove features a welted-seam. Reyes generally does not contrast the back-thumb with the body of the glove, so I am not certain if Reyes would use a standard-seam or a welted-seam. Grant uses a standard-seam at this junction.

Both the Zepol and the Reyes gloves use a heat-transfer decal for their logo imprints, rather than silk-screen printing. The Reyes glove, which is about 11 years old, has shown cracking on the logo, which is to be expected. The Zepol glove, in only its second use in sparring only, has already begun to see some parts of the outer edges of the logo peeling and tearing off. That was very disappointing, much to my dismay.

Knuckle comparison (front view):

CIMG0017_zpsfc197850.jpg

Again, we see that the hand compartment is just a bit more narrow in the Zepol glove.

Notes

As previously mentioned, the Zepol padding is much more "springy," with a bounce that is immediately noticeable. The Reyes padding is much more "spongy." In other words, the Zepol has a characteristic recoil, whereas the Reyes padding has more significant compression. The weight on the Zepol gloves is distributed mostly over the knuckle, whereas on the Reyes glove it is distributed on the cuff.

The Zepol hand compartment seems to be perfectly sized for my hand. I have long fingers and normal/wide hands. The area in which the palm and fingertips meet come together at a seam at the inside of the glove near the fingers, and that is very noticeable at the start. Most other gloves that I have experience with include a lining that covers this seam. The lining in the Zepol does not extend to the fingertips on the palm-side of the glove.

The wrist/cuff compartment is wider on the Zepols than it is on the Reyes. The Zepols feel a bit loose in that region before the laces are tied, but if the laces are wound around the glove tightly and tied well, you should still be able to get sufficient support. The cuff and wrist padding of the Reyes "hug" the distal forearm.

Both gloves use high-quality leather. The Zepol glove has maintained a distinct "new leather glove smell" for well over a month now. The Zepols appear to be extremely durable, even with the lack of double-stitching.

Both Zepol and Reyes use a lining with similar texture and moisture evaporation. However, Zepol for some strange reason uses an orange lining in almost every glove that I've seen them make. I like personally like it...it gives the glove a sense of uniqueness and character.

I bought the Zepol glove from Juan for about the same price that he quoted everyone else, but I paid a litte extra to have the turquoise-colored leather made on the palm and outer-thumb. The people at Zepol have a set of colors ready to be used, but they can also make other special colors for a bit extra. Ask Juan if they can make a certain color, and he will show you a series of swatches used by the tannery that supplies Zepol with their leather. If you're lucky, some of the swatches might just match your color.

My friend bought these Reyes gloves back in 2001, on some perchance sale that Ringside had on their website during that time. He got them for just under $100! I doubt that will ever happen again.

Overall, I would say that the Zepol glove is a very, very good glove in terms of quality and price for a custom-made glove.

I don't want to put Juan thru the trouble of having my gloves re-made. What can I do to save whatever is left of the decal and prevent the rest of it from peeling off?

I was thinking about blowdrying it for a few minutes. Would that be effective?

First of all, awesome comparison review. I'm sure I said it before, I love the look of those Zepol.

I've used this technique to iron leather. It might help adhere the logo to the gloves. You might want to test it out on you friends Reyes gloves first.

Iron your leather jacket. Place the iron on a warm setting, and put a heavy brown paper bag between the iron and the jacket. This will protect the leather from burns while still allowing sufficient heat through to remove the wrinkles.

Wow, that's a great comparative review! I personally dislike that spongy padding in Reyes, and also in Grants. Glad to see Zepols dont have that

Cleto Reyes should be here Friday, or even tormorrow depending on how the sorting works to night... They are in Mississauga now, but I think they might have been picked up from customs too late for delivery tomorrow.

Rskbreaker, Minowa, Roadwarrior, thanks for the compliments! They are very much appreciated.

Rsk, about the ironing of the leather technique...if I put the paper bag over the decal, would there be a chance that the decal might prefer to adhere to the paper rather than the leather?

Also, to answer Kounterpunch's question: If you pinch the padding of on the gloves, the padding in the Zepol pushes itself back out faster than the padding in the Reyes. Another way to look at it would be to take each glove and throw them down onto the ground really hard would equal strength. Once the gloves hit the ground, the Zepol would bounce back up higher than the Reyes hahaha!

Has anyone ordered from fightersfocus before? I just bought a pair of cleto's training gloves with a coupon code for 116.00 got them in 16oz yellows with hook and loop.

Has anyone ordered from fightersfocus before? I just bought a pair of cleto's training gloves with a coupon code for 116.00 got them in 16oz yellows with hook and loop.

Never heard of them, and their site looks kinda ghetto... I noticed that their prices don't really change from size and colour; I noticed one glove charged extra for yellow, while the H&L didn't, so I wouldnt be surprised if they sent you a secondary invoice. Also with the prices being so low, I am a little skeptical about them being legit; Lockwoodsboxing (Cletos USA pretty much) has been the cheapest I found, so I don't see how that place can sell it cheaper than Cleto Reyes direct, especially with Cletos strict resellers agreements, which is why a lot of places sell them for around $170.

Never heard of them, and their site looks kinda ghetto... I noticed that their prices don't really change from size and colour; I noticed one glove charged extra for yellow, while the H&L didn't, so I wouldnt be surprised if they sent you a secondary invoice. Also with the prices being so low, I am a little skeptical about them being legit; Lockwoodsboxing (Cletos USA pretty much) has been the cheapest I found, so I don't see how that place can sell it cheaper than Cleto Reyes direct, especially with Cletos strict resellers agreements, which is why a lot of places sell them for around $170.

Ya i thought same about the site being ghetto but i found a few places that had similar prices to them and i had the coupon so thought i'd try it out, hope they are legit lol.

They're here!!!

They arrived a little dirty, but wrapped in the sealed plastic, so I guess that is from the factory...
DSC02901.jpg

No worries though, they cleaned up fine, and then I conditioned the leather.

Rivals are 18oz, and JCs are 16oz

DSC02910.jpg

DSC02913.jpg

DSC02914.jpg

The thumbs are a little stiff, but I think that has to do with the one piece hand; my Lemarrs were the same, the Cleto's also have a thicker leather on the bottom of the thumb, I guess because it is vented. Everyone said the hand compartment was huge... all I can say is LIARS! the glove is wide, but the glove is a very snug fit, and I do not see it sliding around; the padding is soft and seems broken in, it is easy to open your hand, and I cant feel my knuckles through the foam like the JCs.

Finally! Congratulations - wonderful gloves!
Completely agree - the hand compartment is a bit wider, but the gloves are really snug in general. With wraps they fit very snug. Do not like much the thumb position, but overall Reyes are amazing!

Don't know if its just the angle of the picture but the left glove at the front where the fingers lay looks like there are two indentations.

Don't know if its just the angle of the picture but the left glove at the front where the fingers lay looks like there are two indentations.

that is from the vacuum sealed packaging, they should come out over time.

Edit: ya, they are almost gone now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back