Methyl B-12 vs Cyanocobalamin B-12

ocean size

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Hey I've heard about the two forms B-12 supplementation comes in and heard various things about the difference -

everything from: there is no difference; to methyl is better; to only take Methyl, cyancocobalamin is actually bad for you in some ways. Anyone have a good source that isn't homeopathicnews.com or whatever or experience with the two?

Also, interested in hearing what you may know about B-12 shots- any experience? price? effects?

Thank you.

I had a good experience with both. A lot of the serums contain both to alleviate the cost of the good. I would personally use the serum form.

I have no experience with shots but i believe they are 15 dollars per shot at most clinics. I know you can do it from home somehow though.

Cyanocobalamin is the cheap artificial version of the vitamin. It's made in a drug factory by pharmaceutical companies. It's bound to a cyanide molecule, the poison. When you eat cyanocobalamin your body transforms it into methylcobalamin, and the cyanide is left over. In order to get rid of the cyanide your body has to use up nutrients that are in short supply. It can easily make you more sick taking it than if you'd taken nothing at all.

Methylocobalamin is the natural form of the vitamin. Your body doesn't need to do anything with it, it's absorbed immediately. It contains nothing toxic. It's also more expensive.

It's bound to a cyanide molecule, the poison. When you eat cyanocobalamin your body transforms it into methylcobalamin, and the cyanide is left over. In order to get rid of the cyanide your body has to use up nutrients that are in short supply. It can easily make you more sick taking it than if you'd taken nothing at all.

So this is why I was looking for a good source. Yes cyanide is freed but everything I can find says it is in small enough amount it is not an issue. Rhodanese breaks it down but I can find nothing on this being in short supply or any sane amount of Cyanocobalamin making you sick due to this mechanism, let alone easily.

Do you have anything to back up what you are saying?

What benefits does b12 have as far as the brain is concerned? ALso, is it easy to get the shots?

Back