Method for breaking weight loss stalls

Sarumyan

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I know you guys will eat me alive for this, but it seems to work on me, and I want to see if it would work for other people.

Some people, especially big people like me, can have perfect diet/regime and not lose weight for couple of weeks.

What I did successfully several times now is apply mild version of weight cutting from my MMA experience to break through that wall - Epsom salt bath.

Disclaimer: This is of course not a "real" fat loss, but is done for cosmetic/confidence purposes. ( Calories in/out and blablabla ).

The real water cut is brutal, harrowing experience when an already ripped fighter can lose 5-30 pounds of water (and couple years of his life) in less than 12 hours.

For an average dieter, I recommend to:
1. buy Epsom salt bag ( pretty easy to find )
2. 1 hour before sleep time, fill a bathtub with hot water ( WARNING: not as hot as fighters use, just hot enough for you to sweat a lot)
3. add Epsom salt 1/2 bag and sit in for 10-20 minutes, adding more hot water from time to time to keep yourself sweating.
4. Since you are not cutting weight for sport, I believe one good session is enough. If you start feeling dizzy that it is time to leave the bath. If you feel good and think you can sweat more - walk around in warm clothes for 30 minutes, then do another session.
5. Get out of the bath, dress warmly, and go to sleep without drinking anything ( if you really feel "dry" - you can drink some hot water with lemon slice and a bit of salt, and eat 1/2 banana).

When you wake up you should be well bellow your "stall weight". The best part, in my experience, is that the plateau is permanently broken if you keep up the diet.

Logic behind it: If you have followed Lyle McDonald, you must know he came up with an interesting observation that fat cells tend to fill out with water as they lose lipids. These cells can hold on to water for long periods of time, which is believed to be the reason for stalling weight when maintaining caloric deficit.
Hot Epsom Salt Baths draw water out of your body ( outer layer, but not inner organs ) due to osmosis and increased temperature. It creates a solution that has more minerals dissolved in it, than extracellular fluid. Once the body loses that layer of water, it has no choice but to seek emergency stores and deplete the fat cells.

Of course, this is just my explanation and I am too lazy to go to Pubmed or other databases to provide proof if there is any.

WARNING: Use your brain - if you have poor health than either don't try it at all or do a warm bath instead of a hot one. Do not go into extremes because this can be dangerous. I also recommend not doing it while alone at home, just in case you pass out ( very very unlikely if you are in ok health).

I am open to criticism and your experiences.

Cheers.

I've noticed this as well, but from a different angle. One day, I forgot to bring water to my MMA class on a day when we did extra sparring. I weighed in the next morning and broke a plateau that I had by 3 full pounds, and it kept going down throughout the week until I had lost 7 pounds in 7 days after being stuck at the same weight for 6 weeks.

Once you break through plateau you drop weight quite fast until next "wall" ) in my exp.

I agree! I find that I get about 5-6 more weeks of stable weight loss until I hit the next one. I actually have two sticking points: at 162 and at 156. The former represents about 12% body fat, and the latter represents around 10%. The last one is a real fucking pain because I'll start getting the negative side effects around this time.

Before all of my injuries, my sticking points were at 166 and 162, which are about the same levels of body fat when I'm more swole. My body just hates getting lean.

Just do a proper dry refeed at maintenance instead.

Yeah, doing something to manipulate water holding is definitely what's needed to break through stalls when everything else is right. I did it accidentally once.

I had been stuck at 163 for a long time. Like 4 weeks after losing 1.5-2 pounds a week steady for 6-8 weeks prior. Went out for a buddie's 21st and got absolutely hammered with him. I drank nothing but just whiskey (thought that avoiding the beer would help minimize the damage and extra calories there)

Woke up with a brutal hangover from being dehydrated as I forgot to drink some water before bed. Didn't step on the scale that morning, but did the next day (after pounding like 3 gallons trying to feel better) and was 2 pounds heavier. Thought aw well, to be expected. But then the weight was gone in 2 days, and then it continued down past the 163 mark after until I got to just below 155 (which in hindsight was too small for my frame)

Well, no offense, but having a relaxing hot bath before bed sounds a lot easier than all the methods suggested. I am curious about others trying it out.

Well, no offense, but having a relaxing hot bath before bed sounds a lot easier than all the methods suggested. I am curious about others trying it out.

I dunno, the straight whiskey method could be fun.

Back