Messed My Rib Up a Competition

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by jmoh, Oct 14, 2010.

1. jmoh

jmoh White Belt

I competed about a month ago in my first blue belt local tourney. I had a match against a much larger 4-stripe blue belt, I shook his hand and right after he shot for the double, picked me up and slammed me and moved right into side mount all with a second. I ended up winning the match and tied for 1st with a teammate. But looking back I wish I never competed.

After the tournament I noticed my ribs were very sore, but I just thought it was normal. A week later I notice no improvement, I also notice one of my lower ribs to portude out of my side in a strange way. I visit the doctor and she takes an x-ray and says I'm fine, tells me to Ice it and take anti-inflammatories and take 3 weeks off.

Now a month later my rib feels better, but still sticks out just as much. I decide I waited long enough and go to training. Afterwords I notice my rib hurts again, this time even more so. Now when I breath/cough it hurts, or if I bend a certain way or lay on that side. Stretching my back or raising my chest is also quite painful.

I want to go to the doctor again, but she's on vacation. I see a sports med doc and he says he never has seen something like it. He contacts a thoracic? surgeon, describing my issue to him, who now says I need to take at least 3 months off...

Moral of the Story: For all you trying to compete as much as possible just know that injuries like this are more likely to happen in competition. I was hoping to speed up my progress to purple, but now I see that luck plays a big roll in progression as well. Who knows how rusty I'll be when I get back...if I ever do get back.

Anyway, anyone been in a similar situation? I looked all over the net but couldn't find any helpful answers. It's my most bottom rib on the left side. I'll attach a pic in a second.

Edit: Crap just noticed the typo in the title my bad. Here are the pics. It looks like it's on my right side but it's just because of the mirrors reflection.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  2. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

Dealing with an annoying rib injury right now too. Happened going light in class. Shit happens.

3. TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan Green Belt

I have one of those! I popped 2 at one time. Its very common in our sport. widdomaker, sheertechnique, and I were out at the same time for rib injuries about a month and a half back. If its any help, the pain goes away. Usually the bump does too, but one of my coaches has the bump that didnt go away. I can still feel where mine pops out a hair more than the others. Generally takes about 2 months to heal.

4. jmoh

jmoh White Belt

That's a sigh of relief. I'm not planning on becoming a bodybuilder or anything, but I'd prefer not to have a rib just stick out like that.

5. Kalma

Kalma Orange Belt

anything around the rib area is whack!! Defintely rest it and then rest it more .

I treid going back when it felt better, but it just became a scenario of cycle repeat. I probably wont train until next year at this stage.

In saying that it is eye opening and makes you pput other things in your into perspective.

Best thing I heard somewhere else was if you arent paid to fight and train then there is no REAL need to rush back and chance further injury. Take the time to recover as well as you can.

6. Dirty Highland

Dirty Highland Orange Belt

I'm getting an MRI on my knee today because an ankle biter instantly cranked a heel hook last weekend in my first competition.

7. FlameBoy

FlameBoy Green Belt

8. FlameBoy

FlameBoy Green Belt

Oh yeah, learn to love your lumps - you now have them forever!!!!

9. Foblander

Foblander Orange Belt

My rib also hurts. Someone slammed me in guard 2 days ago. Grrr wrestlers. It's very minor and I can run and laugh and cough without pain. I'm just paranoid because I feel a tiny ounce of pain when I twist a certain way or if I keep rubbing that area. Again the pain is minor but I still feel it. I don't think it's a big deal but is it okay to train through it or is it better to take time off? Will it get better but just take longer to heal if I just train? I do pull ups and rotate my legs from side to side with no problems at all? Any feedback helpful. Thanks!

10. crackbaby420**

crackbaby420** Yellow Belt

my left lower rib sticks out just like yours, its not going to go back to normal, lots of mma fighters have the same thing, look at a picture of chael sonnen's ribs. The pain goes away but the rib stays outta place

11. blfdgrappler

blfdgrappler Orange Belt

Any rib/abdominal wall injuries are the worst. They take a long time to heal. The last time I popped a rib like that, it took about two to three months before it healed, as others have said. I know that is not what you wanted to hear. :( But in time, it will get better. Protect, Rest, Ice/Ibuprofen, and Compression (but don't wear the compression while you sleep; compressing your chest during sleep is a bad idea).

12. bunga

bunga White Belt

Had a similar thing happen a couple of weeks ago in a competition. Absolutes first fight after getting gold in my weight, working hard on a triangle, guy stacking up - pop. Overwhelming pain, felt like the ribcage is getting sucked in, hard to breathe. Finished the fight, took a couple of weeks off, got back to training and got my blue belt :) no pain no gain, eh? Still going easy thou, no rolling, careful with the sweeps, no heavy squats or deadlifts until completely healed.

13. FollowYourBliss

FollowYourBliss Yellow Belt

14. dazed863

dazed863 Blue Belt

same thing happened to me two weeks ago.....

and of course the ER and my primary care doctor are both clueless and no help. and actually the best part of trying to get a diagnosis was having to explain 10 times what BJJ was. even after i gave up and just said wrestling the x-ray tech asked the question "aren't you a little old?" lol

15. Moosepig

Moosepig White Belt

Sucks to hear, rib injuries do put you out for a while. My instructor hurt his shrimping, of all things. Ive been out two months for a minor tooth injury and Im literally itching to roll.

16. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Arrow sash belt with papakhka

From your OP it sounds like a cracked cartilage. Sticks out of the rib cage, hurts like hell but won't show up on x-rays.

I've had it. Was out for like 3 months. Was careful all the way up to maybe 7-9 months.

These things suck, man. But be smart and don't go back too early.

17. Kalma

Kalma Orange Belt

It's so worthy of posting it again that Im must....

dont go back too early, take time off and then some.

Take it from those that did go back when they thought it were good.It's probably not.

18. jmoh

jmoh White Belt

Thanks for all the replies, sorry I haven't got back sooner.

My rib is still the same. I wake up some mornings feeling a lot of pain since I accidentally roll on that side for too long.

I still ice it as much as I can, nearly every day. I have also tried gently massaging the area, but I can't see no real benefit.

Pushups hurt, pullups not so much, although I have been shying away from any physical activity that doesn't involve riding my bike.

I'm feeling pretty depressed about it, no jits for this long is killing me.

19. ZenMojo

ZenMojo White Belt

In general terms it sounds like a "separated rib" - a fairly common combat sports injury. It is not as serious as a broken rib but it is a serious "life sucks" injury because they take so long to heal and people have a tendency to keep the injury "raw" by trying to come back to early.

_______
    Separated Rib
    A severe blow can cause a rib separation, in which the rib tears loose from the cartilage in the front.
    You will feel severe pain, usually toward the front of the rib cage, and it will hurt to breathe. When you bend over or rotate your body, you may feel a

20. blfdgrappler

blfdgrappler Orange Belt

Just make sure not to wear the compression belt at night. At least, that was the advice my doctor gave me about not compressing your chest while you sleep. You might wake up dead.