Meryl Streep Mixed Martial Arts Is Not An Art! :)

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score

Meryl no fan of MMA it seems and Donald Trump. Fun starts 2 mins into the video.

Cliffs? Why is she talking about MMA in an awards speech for an acting award?

Mix martial arts is not an art like acting

Cliffs? Why is she talking about MMA in an awards speech for an acting award?

It starts right at 2 mins no needs for cliffs notes. Basically she telling everyone that MMA has no place in the arts.

It starts right at 2 mins no needs for cliffs notes. Basically she telling everyone that MMA has no place in the arts.
Even though it has "arts" in its name, MMA is a sport. There is a winner and a loser. Filmmaking, painting, drawing, etc. doesn't involve competition.

She was saying "(if you kick the immigrants out of hollywood), then all you'll have left to watch is football and MMA, which (btw) aren't the arts"

Which is funny because MMA employs a MUCH greater diversity of both foreigners and minorities than hollywood. For that matter, so does football.

She was trying to name things that seemed heavy handed in comparison to acting and her brain came up with things that were literally heavy handed, but her brain didn't finish due diligence to screen the examples and as a result the chosen metaphors don't work as punchlines for her attempted feel good thesis.

She was really trying to be clever. I could tell she was embarrassed because the crowd was a little confused and that's when she knew her joke didn't quite work. It felt like an impromptu joke you might tell at a party and then want to retract it right before the completion when you realize it doesn't work but it's too late so you have to keep going and then you laugh goofily at your own gaffe to cover your ass, which is what she actually did. "Uh- Uhhuhghhh huhhh hhg"

Last edited:
So brave and progressive!!!!

Common guys, it's the current year!!!

Last edited:
MMA is a sport not art.

Snake oil bullshit McDojo kung fu is neither.

Even though it has "arts" in its name, MMA is a sport. There is a winner and a loser. Filmmaking, painting, drawing, etc. doesn't involve competition.

There is art in sport much like the art of boxing, MMA is an art because you have to study it and understand the forms and techniques. To be truly great at it takes years of study of the art. So what your telling me Dance is an art yet martial arts is not one? Because dance can require years of study to become good. If you cannot understand that your not truly a martial artist.

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&...11rTRAhXBOSYKHVK4CcUQPAgD#hl=en&q=art+meaning
"
  1. the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
    "the art of the Renaissance"
    synonyms: fine art, artwork
    "he studied art"

2. 2.
    the various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance.
    "the visual arts""

I am insulted. Fuck that bitch.

I prefer Human Cawk Fighting.

Merryl Streep confirmed sherdogger. She trolled you all the butt hurt in the warroom thread is delicious.

I agree that MMA isn't really an art, but her speech was still extremely stupid. Basically trying to play the victim as a privileged millionaire and then taking a big jab at middle america by insulting two of their favorites pass times.

Also what exactly is she referring to? Whose talking about kicking out actors and legal immigrants?

Last edited:
Somewhat ignorant of the very privileged Miss Streep to use MMA and American Football as negatives in her rant about diversity.
She points out how much diversity there is in Hollywood then bizarrely uses MMA and American Football as negatives.

MMA, the biggest MMA company the UFC where three of it's current world champions are black and two of it's current world champions are women (one being an openly gay woman), not to mention that before Conor McGregor the sport's biggest star by far was a woman.

This comes across as pretty ill-informed and ignorant from someone who has lived a life of luxury and seems to just be trying to score brownie points.

Last edited:
Not going to bitch about an old white lady being ignorant about MMA. I'm sure most of my older relatives would have a similar opinon.

"Art" is subjective. This, to me, is art. There's no faking, or "take 16"...

6NnfQd_medium.gif

2nbrjmf.gif

tumblr_m002fb3lcR1qaa8d1o1_500.gif

1rlPc.gif

lroYUpw.gif

Just an old lady saying old lady stuff.

Just an old lady saying old lady stuff.
Basically.

LMAO @ looking at football and MMA as counter examples of diversity. The current UFC champions look like a badass model UN, and the only ethnic group American football is lacking in is Asians.

It's not an art. A skill? A talent? A show? Absolutely. Art? No.

Back