Mentally speaking, who is the weakest amongst these physically dominant fighters [Poll]

In terms of mental strength, who is the weskest?

• Total voters
That makes almost no sense at all
It absolutely does, for me.

My experience is that is you cheat, you lose regardless of the outcome.

Hence the saying, "cheaters never prosper."

I understand the justification behind it. There are millions of dollars on the line here. These guys don't play for sport like I did. This is their livelihood- bread and butter...

So, I absolutely do not judge anyone over their choice to cheat and win... I just respect people who lose fairly more.

So perhaps, agree to disagree here.

Some people don't feel as confident to perform without the drugs. I get where he's coming from.

If he was as confident without the drugs he wouldn't need them. But I still think that doesn't factor into his mental fortitude because even without them, he's still competing. He didn't stop when he got busted. He continued his career. Is he still cheating? Its possible, but based on his performances, I'd say no.
Good point

Jon jones absolutely sucks.

Oh shit, I forgot about the QAnon stuff haha. He's waaay out there. But yeah still, plenty of fighters won't let that slide even from a kid.
And yup, delusion can be key to being the best. Otherwise you're in danger of just accepting your weaknesses and limitations instead of hammering away and pushing past them. I actually get kinda bummed listening to interviews with fighters who are super unlikely to get anywhere too substantial in the sport, and like clockwork they drop the "I think I'm the best fighter in the world" line. You can tell they believe it.
fighters in general are some of the weirdest people. I mean you have to be somewhat deluded to fight for a living. To waht to do damage to someone and be cool afterwards. I'm not saying you won't have more rational people in the sport, but some of these guys, guys like mike perries of the world, if they weren't fighters, he'll be a pizza delivery guy or something. I'm sorry if that's rude to say

The mental aspect of a sport is very underrated: you can be physically gifted to the max, but psychology goes a long way.

It's the difference between good fighters, and great fighters.

It's all breezy at the top, but some fighters: once they lose and taste defeat, simply lose that aura of invincibility and can never bounce back: Machida, Ronda, Barao, BJ (after Edgar)... And perhaps even Anderson, after the Weidman loss.

Then we have guys like Jones and Adesanya who simply haven't been beat in the Octagon, but seem so easy to beat on Twitter. Doesn't take much to send them over the edge...and they seem to have more personal issues than regular people.

So, in terms of sports psychology and MMA mentality... Who is the weakest fighter amongst these 4 big names on the list?

*Please keep the discussion respectful, Mods are worried about Fighter Bashing*
You are the weakest.

these are all huge champs that you listed that have done and will do amazing things in their lives. well cept for maybe jon, i dont think he does too many nice things.

That makes almost no sense at all
It makes sense to me. It goes back to the psychology of having to cheat. What is the purpose? In a test if you are cheating it is because you are unsure of your answers, or the ability to be able to correctly answer the questions - so take that and apply it to fighting.

It is braver fighting clean, especially if the person you are fighting is cheating. That says a lot about the mentality of the person fighting willingly with a disadvantage.

I'm not surprised. Cannonier is a full on like q-anon, freemason conspiracy theorist. Dude's not all there at all. But yeah, that reaction probably isn't unique among a lot of fighters. Your thinking has to be flawless. For some reason, any compromise to let realism set in is just weakness.
GSP was very realistic. Worked for him.

fighters in general are some of the weirdest people. I mean you have to be somewhat deluded to fight for a living. To waht to do damage to someone and be cool afterwards. I'm not saying you won't have more rational people in the sport, but some of these guys, guys like mike perries of the world, if they weren't fighters, he'll be a pizza delivery guy or something. I'm sorry if that's rude to say

I think you oversimply fighting in general. Fighting is instinctive and is a primal part of necessary survival. It's a survival trait, same in the animal kingdom. Only difference now is that it's also done for sport. It's the fighters that keeps everyone safe. The people that don't understand fighting or don't have the mental fortitude or stomach to fight, need others to fight for them. Being able to fight is a very important primal skill set to posses.

“You can’t truly call yourself “peaceful” unless you’re capable of great violence, if you’re not capable of violence you’re not peaceful, you’re harmless”

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Last edited:
It makes sense to me. It goes back to the psychology of having to cheat. What is the purpose? In a test if you are cheating it is because you are unsure of your answers, or the ability to be able to correctly answer the questions - so take that and apply it to fighting.

It is braver fighting clean, especially if the person you are fighting is cheating. That says a lot about the mentality of the person fighting willingly with a disadvantage.
Right, but that’s character, not fear.

I would say Ronda is the weakest. Jones by far the strongest.

Well Said

Oh shit, I forgot about the QAnon stuff haha. He's waaay out there. But yeah still, plenty of fighters won't let that slide even from a kid.
And yup, delusion can be key to being the best. Otherwise you're in danger of just accepting your weaknesses and limitations instead of hammering away and pushing past them. I actually get kinda bummed listening to interviews with fighters who are super unlikely to get anywhere too substantial in the sport, and like clockwork they drop the "I think I'm the best fighter in the world" line. You can tell they believe it.

GSP was very realistic. Worked for him.
I tend to think you can have two levels of competitive mindset. You can get really good by being competitive with others, even the at the time best. But you get to be all time best if you're competitive with yourself. Like Sado said, something's gotta get you to focus on your weaknesses. And if you're only trying to be above others, it severely limits you to the level of your competition. Then you end up in that like, Klitschko territory, where no one can deny your dominance, but no one's rating you in the best when you finally lose or retire.

Pointless post. Most of the other candidates you picked are very mentally strong. Adesanya came back from nearly being KTFO twice against Gastelum and it never bothered him in future fights. In fact he got better

Back