Men's NCAA Volleyball

jeffk

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Long Beach State is the heavy favorite to repeat. They have almost all their players back and are all healthy now. The only way I see them losing is if a player gets injured or they choke under pressure.

UCLA started the season ranked number 2. Long Beach State beat them at UCLA this week. UCLA may be a better team than they are now by the end of the season since they are still playing with their line up and are starting a true freshman who will become more experienced later in the year. Still hard to see UCLA beating LBSU this year. Hawaii and UCI are two teams that may be able to challenge LBSU and maybe Pepperdine could surprise them. If I were to bet, I wouldn't bet against LBSU this year.

Top 14 results from 1/14 to 1/20
DxYjo4ZXQAEpakb.png

I understand the "appeal" of women's volleyball
DmneT90.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_ogg2jvOHD11thnnnmo2_r1_400.gif

FavorableJaggedAmmonite-max-1mb.gif

Men's volleyball?
7AlO.gif

You mean those guys that had the height to make the real sports teams, but we’re too incompetent (and too gay) and ended up playing volleyball?

Dx98-TJXQAA-z7b.jpg

Probably the biggest match of the week was UC Irvine over Pepperdine. The win probably means that the Big West will get at minimum 1 at large team in the NCAA Tournament. That is big since Long Beach State is almost certain to win the Big West Conference title. It looks like UC Irvine, Hawaii and maybe CSUN will battle for the at large spot.

Coaches poll as of 1/28

1 Long Beach State (16) 240 7-0 1
2 Hawai'i 220 3-0 2
3 BYU 201 4-0 4
4 UC Irvine 197 8-2 3
5 UCLA 154 6-2 7
6 Pepperdine 152 5-2 6
7 Loyola-Chicago 149 6-2 5
8 Stanford 142 7-1 8
9 UC Santa Barbara 123 7-3 10
10 Lewis 100 6-3 9

Are you putting WNBA in the same league as lingerie football?
<Huh2>

Lol one the girls from my high school won mvp of that league a few times. She plays quarterback for the LA team I think. She was basically one of the dudes growing up, hung out with all the skaters and played football with the guys up until the varsity level iirc.

Dx98-TJXQAA-z7b.jpg

Probably the biggest match of the week was UC Irvine over Pepperdine. The win probably means that the Big West will get at minimum 1 at large team in the NCAA Tournament. That is big since Long Beach State is almost certain to win the Big West Conference title. It looks like UC Irvine, Hawaii and maybe CSUN will battle for the at large spot.

Coaches poll as of 1/28

1 Long Beach State (16) 240 7-0 1
2 Hawai'i 220 3-0 2
3 BYU 201 4-0 4
4 UC Irvine 197 8-2 3
5 UCLA 154 6-2 7
6 Pepperdine 152 5-2 6
7 Loyola-Chicago 149 6-2 5
8 Stanford 142 7-1 8
9 UC Santa Barbara 123 7-3 10
10 Lewis 100 6-3 9
With the exception of Loyola and where ever the fuck Lewis is, why are all the top Men’s volleyball teams from the west coast?
Are the women teams similar?

With the exception of Loyola and where ever the fuck Lewis is, why are all the top Men’s volleyball teams from the west coast?
Are the women teams similar?

I always keep saying Florida should have great teams. Volleyball should, and was created for the beach. California, and Florida are two biggest beach scenes.

Long Beach is still the strong favorite to win the ncaa title but Hawaii looked very good against Stanford. Stanford was playing without one of their normal staters due to injury, but I don’t think it would have made a difference. Hawaii at home is tough to beat. It looks like Hawaii vs Long Beach could be the championship match but there is a lot season to play before then.

The Big West conference dominated other conferences in out of conference matches. It looks like the two at large bids to the NCAA tournament should go to the big west.

UCLA went to the Chicago area to win both their matches. There was a funny clip on the local news with m’aa who is from Hawaii trying to comprehend - 50 degrees weather. The team tried to walk from their hotel to get food and had to call Uber after walking a couple blocks.

UCLA used different players in different positions in both matches than they had been using this season. In the match against Lewis, they went with two new starters with one guy, parks, who is a redshirt freshman who has barely played at all and moved an outside hitter to play libero. they used a completely different offense where they have two setters which is very rare for college volleyball. After a very shaky start in the first set, they looked very good with the new lineup.

UCLA highlights of Probably the best match of last week #4 UCLA vs #7 BYU.

It looks like Long Beach State is still the heavy favorite this year. Hawaii is solidly #2. Then three through 5 will likely be a mix of UC Irvine or ucla or Pepperdine.

DzDbxfxX0AEpOFW.png

Last edited:
Watching mens volleyball defeats the purpose of watching volleyball imo.

This week Long Beach State showed they are the real deal. Despite UCLA playing well, Long Beach State beat them with ease in 3 sets. It is Long Beach State national title to lose.

Hawaii is the only team that may be able to compete with them. But that is uncertain. Hawaii has't played any good teams away from home and the national championships are at Long Beach State this year.

Top 15 teams results for the week.
#1 Long Beach State over #4 UCLA 3-0
#2 Hawai’i over Lincoln Memorial 3-0
#3 UC Irvine over UCSD 3-2
#5 Pepperdine over #11 CSUN 3-0
#5 Pepperdine over Grand Canyon 3-2
#6 UCSB over #4 UCLA 3-2
#6 UCSB over UCSD 3-0
#7 Loyola over #12 Ball State 3-1
#7 Loyola over #15 Purdue Fort Wayne 3-1
#8 BYU over Concordia-Irvine 3-0
#8 BYU over #14 USC 3-1
#9 Stanford over #14 USC 3-2
#9 Stanford over Concordia-Irvine 3-0
#10 Lewis over #15 Purdue Fort Wayne 3-0
#10 Lewis over #12 Ball State 3-0
#11 CSUN over Cal Lutheran 3-0
#13 George Mason over NJIT 3-0
Princeton over #13 George Mason 3-1

Read more: http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/76597/top-15-results-tech-issues#ixzz5fwpRNiJY

I was at long beach for the UCLA game and it was not close. 3 easy sets to zero. Best team in the country by far. I am friends with LB head coach and a few of the players are from the local high school.

I was at long beach for the UCLA game and it was not close. 3 easy sets to zero. Best team in the country by far. I am friends with LB head coach and a few of the players are from the local high school.

I was there too. Long Beach had 12 service errors and 12 aces. No team is going to be able to compete with Long Beach when their serve is on.

Barring injury It is a matter of them going undefeated this year. The Big West Tournament is Hawaii and Hawaii is tough at home.

Looking forward to seeing #2 Hawaii take on #3 UC Irvine in a couple weeks.

Back