Mendez on how Khabib'd close the distance and control McGregor

Interesting you brought up Wonderboy. That brought me to a parallel: Big Rigg vs Wonderboy.

At that time, Big Rigg was a wrestling machine, and in most people's minds just came off beating GSP and Robbie two times. The Wonderboy fight happened when Big Rigg was still viewed as the best welter, and not even GSP or Robbie could stop him when he wanted to wrestle. Wonderboy went in there and absolutely smoked him, because there is no way that you can prepare for that spacing and the looks he gives you. Johnny just seemed totally bewildered by what was going on, just like all the guys that taste Conor's left for the first time, like "how tf did you hit me from that position?".
Hendricks isn't a great example given that there were other variables going into that fight other than what Thompson was doing (Hendricks had been through quite a lot of wars, was coming off a nearly year long layoff, and it was his first fight post-USADA and we've seen how much he's struggled with the weight cuts since then).

Hendricks isn't a great example given that there were other variables going into that fight other than what Thompson was doing (Hendricks had been through quite a lot of wars, was coming off a nearly year long layoff, and it was his first fight post-USADA and we've seen how much he's struggled with the weight cuts since then).

Yes, there are those variables but similar variables can be drawn to Khabib, such as the missing of weight, being greatly diminished past round two vs Al when he had to make championship weight, constant snafus and pulling out. Hendricks was obviously a much diminished version from his pre USADA self, and someone like Khabib still has yet to lose a round and has a different style of wrestling, but we still have a bladed stance strike/expert distance keeping striker vs a powerful and dominant wrestler.

Im just racking my brain trying to think of past bouts where we have these striker vs grappler match ups at the most elite levels in modern MMA to draw likeness, to try and dissect how this bout may play out. So far I got Holly vs Honda, Mirko vs Fedor/Nog/Barnett/Randelman, JDS vs Cain 1-3, DC VS Gus, Maia vs Condit, Machida vs Rashad, Ngannou vs Stipe, etc. I say modern MMA because I feel the guys have much more rounded skill sets, so it ain't like Art Jimmerson vs Royce.

Interesting you brought up Wonderboy. That brought me to a parallel: Big Rigg vs Wonderboy.

At that time, Big Rigg was a wrestling machine, and in most people's minds just came off beating GSP and Robbie two times. The Wonderboy fight happened when Big Rigg was still viewed as the best welter, and not even GSP or Robbie could stop him when he wanted to wrestle. Wonderboy went in there and absolutely smoked him, because there is no way that you can prepare for that spacing and the looks he gives you. Johnny just seemed totally bewildered by what was going on, just like all the guys that taste Conor's left for the first time, like "how tf did you hit me from that position?".
Conor nuthuggers are annoying with that left hand thing. We'll see how that left hand does against someone who isn't a 145 pound midget and who takes people like Conor down with ease.

Conor nuthuggers are annoying with that left hand thing. We'll see how that left hand does against someone who isn't a 145 pound midget and who takes people like Conor down with ease.

Khabib is 5'10" at best yet Sherdog has always told me only real men and real fighters are 6'6" or more, bench teh 475 with one arm and have an anaconda snake in their pants. Make up your minds ffs.

Khabib is 5'10" at best yet Sherdog has always told me only real men and real fighters are 6'6" or more, bench teh 475 with one arm and have an anaconda snake in their pants. Make up your minds ffs.
So I am "Sherdog" now?

Theoretically.

No one in the UFC controls distance as well as Conor in the UFC.

He's one of a few guys who understands distance that well in the whole of MMA. I dont think WB even understands it that well compared to Conor especially after fighting Woodley twice.
I agree, he has great control of distance.

mcgregor-diaz.jpg

We can almost see him thinking, "in what distance in time will I tap" from the moment he felt that arm around his neck.

Lol, you must've missed where I picked Conor to win this fight by KO. But it's cool. This AV was designed to trigger fools like yourself.
<Goldie11>

How dare you have an avatar with my favourite fighter getting subbed on it, get an avatar of someone else's favourite fighter getting subbed :mad:

I think if Khabib gets Conor down once, he wins. Conor won't get back up until the end of the round. And when he does get up, he will not be the same. Nothing tires a fighter more than having to fight where they don't want to fight.

Theoretically.

He's one of a few guys who understands distance that well in the whole of MMA. I dont think WB even understands it that well compared to Conor especially after fighting Woodley twice.
prime Anderson and Machida were leagues above Conor in distance control. I would be impressed if he could perform half as well as they do now when he's 40.

Theoretically.

You're so fucking retarded, lmao.

Theoretically.

Lol Woodley would flatline Conor. Also, could you ever picture WB getting bitch slapped by Nate Diaz?? Hahaha

Just look at his AV. His whole life is a disaster, I bet he he blames everything wrong in his life on Conor. There's a hatred some of these have thats just so sad.
McGregor derangement syndrome

But this was post Robbie, Lawler stuffed Hendricks takedowns at will in their second fight

I still don't understand what that has to do with MMA gods

But whatever

People get weird about Conor, just like you said I guess

Maybe they want a champ that fight more often the once every two years.

And who want to defend their belt now and then.

I do.

Look at the amount of McFellating threads that are ALREADY flooding this forum, the DAY that a fight gets announced.

It's beyond embarrassing.

I actually LIKE Conor as a fighter. Will always tune into his scraps.

His ridiculous fan-boys? Not so much. lol

His fan-boys are one of the worst things about him. They all act like his boyfriend.

At that time, Big Rigg was a wrestling machine, and in most people's minds just came off beatin GSP and Robbie two times. The Wonderboy fight happened when Big Rigg was still viewed as the best welter, and not even GSP or Robbie could stop him when he wanted to wrestle. Wonderboy went in there and absolutely smoked him, because there is no way that you can prepare for that spacing and the looks he gives you. Johnny just seemed totally bewildered by what was going on, just like all the guys that taste Conor's left for the first time, like "how tf did you hit me from that position?".

GSP retired from 170 with his belt.

Still think GSP before the knee injury, closed and utilized distance better than anyone who has came before him and up to this point as well.

Maybe they want a champ that fight more often the once every two years.

And who want to defend their belt now and then.
You of anybody should know he fights more frequently than that, and yes the Floyd fight counts

He's definitely a lot more active and reliable than Khabib

Thats why I was so disappointed in the second Woodley fight, someone of his calibre shouldnt have been so distracted from his distance management. He essentially gave Woodley the close and mid quarter battles. Conor would never do that.

You'd think he'd learn from the first fight.
In Wonderboy defense... Woodley is amazing at closing the distance. He covers a lot of ground. The speed of his entrances is ridiculous.

Wonderboy and Conor are used to having reach advantages. When they fight someone who is similar (Till and Nate) they struggle a lot more.

Not saying it applies to Khabib fight tho.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back