Mendes says if he had a full camp he would've won

Connor won fair and square but it is well known that mendes takes some time off to hunt and other things between fights. He definitely stays in shape but there is a clear difference between the way he looked in aldo vs Mendes 2 and the Connor fight.

The question seems to be whether or not a full training camp keeps him from gassing in just under two rounds.Considering the way he was able to control the fight (right up to getting KO'ed, lol), if he doesn't gas; he wins the fight, and maybe stops Connor via sub late. But Connor fought very smart, and no one can take that away from him.

You seem to have watched a completely different fight than I did. The fight I saw, was conor totally beating chad's ass on the feet. digging in front kicks, spinning back kicks to his body, making him breath heavy after 2 minutes. Straight lefts that were knocking chad back. while conor was even fazed by chad's biggest punches.

2nd round, I saw chat land some good elbows, while I also saw conor land even more elbows from the bottom, making chad wanting no part of it. So he went for a late round sub, but couldn't close the deal. conor got up, fresh as a daisy and preceeded to eliminate chad.

That's the fight I saw...

If he had a full camp, he'd have better cardio. If he had better cardio, he'd certainly have a much bigger chance of winning.

I completely fail to see how that's controversial to some fans.

conan: Pretty much. Mendes was getting smacked around on the feet even when he was fresh in the first round so I have a hard time believing a full training camp would've resulted in him winning that fight although I do think he would've done better and drawn shit out some. Mendes was staggered multiple times before he got that first TD.

If I thought him getting caught was a result of gassing I'd agree, but it wasn't so I dont. Still think he showed a glaring weakness in Conner's game though

Glaring weakness. Ok, if the greatest leg kicker in the ufc is able to land leg kicks, but still unable to stop conor, is that showing a glaring weakness to leg kicks. Absolutely not. Getting hit by leg kicks by the best in the game, but still winning, isn't a glaring weakness.

Same against chad. Chad is the best wrestler in the division. Yet, conor was still able to block 50% of chad's take downs. Even while on the ground, conor out landed chad with elbows. People seem to be forgetting the elbows conor landed. Gettin taken down by the best wrestler, isn't a glaring weakness. ahaha.

I don't recall Mendes missing weight and looking like shit during the lead up to the fight.

But i do enjoy the excuse makers sharpening their pencils on this.

Mendes' camp has already been whittled down to a single week, and i figure by next week he'll have been notified about the fight an hour before the bell.

Mendes is an elite mixed martial artist and a grown man, the moment he signed the contract for this fight he took responsibility for his performance.
Granted it's fine when the haters make excuses for him, but the moment he starts with that shit, it's all over and it basically becomes tantamount to him taking a dive for money.

There is a difference between being in shape and being in fight shape. Being in fight shape all the time is impossible. Fighters train in camps to be in peak condition come fight time. That's the sole purpose of camps in the first place.

Sure those body shots have an effect on you. But a fighter in perfect shape will be able to take them much better.

The result may be the same or the fight will look totally different. But saying that Mendes lack of preparation was not a factor is delusional and stupid. It's also stupid to think that Conor did not train TDD. Anyone with half a brain knows that Aldo is very well rounded and has really good TDs. So unless Conor isn't stupid he prepared for someone that will mix it up, which isn't all that different from Mendes style.

You are aware that conor had a knee injury and was unable to train wrestling or even spar, RIGHT? And do you honestly believe that mendes and edgar both weren't training their asses off, cause they knew that aldo has a history of pulling out of fights? Believing that is being delusional.

How does an athlete all of a sudden lose their cardio and say he was good for 3 not 5 rds? At a minimum and staying away from hard sparring/grappling, you would think a responsible athlete that wants to be a champion would be running, swimming or weight training on a daily basis. Mendes has no excuse. He chose to be a fighter and it's his job to stay in shape. I suppose this lends credence to what Ludwig said about the A.M. fighters, in that only Dillashaw really wants to be a champion.

And do you honestly believe that mendes and edgar both weren't training their asses off, cause they knew that aldo has a history of pulling out of fights?

i dont believe that shit at all.

If the roles were swapped, and McGregor lost to Chad on short notice, there'd be outrage. Now, because Conor won, everyone is pretending it would be the exact same fight, full-camp, or no.

hahahah wow,you really think that Chad is gonna spend months in the gym training for a fight that isnt confirmed? Do you have any idea how expensive training camps are? How long he would have to stay away from his family? No one is gonna do a full training camp in the off chance that there might be a fight for them. That is not how it works,sir.

Him having a "full" training camp is not going to increase his ability to not gas within 2 minutes. Even in absolute horrible shape, guys of that stature, do not tire that fast. He tired cause conor was blasting him to the body. constantly attacking chad from the opening bell. going for takedowns and having conor get right back up also helped.

I don't think chad was in their for months. But I think a couple of months out, both him and edgar were getting ready. I just love the excuses. Chad was ko'd. stop making excuses.. being in better shape isn't going to increase your jaws ability to take conor's straight left rocket.

How does an athlete all of a sudden lose their cardio and say he was good for 3 not 5 rds? At a minimum and staying away from hard sparring/grappling, you would think a responsible athlete that wants to be a champion would be running, swimming or weight training on a daily basis.

bullshit,sounds like nonsense from someone who has never trained,clearly.

doesn't matter his striking defense wouldn't have improved enough to make a difference

the excuses game is getting old

Laughable, especially considering what actually happened in the fight. Still clueless after all these years, eh? Or is it just bias?

I've seen that fight numerous times. I saw chad getting drilled to the body, getting staggered back with a straight left, while his punches had zero effect. Now this is in the first 2 minutes, when a shortened training camp and cardio had no bearing. conor was already landing on him. When you land on someone that fast, when the fight just started, you know it's not going to go well. haha. What exactly did chad do. landed 50% of his takedowns, landed one good elbow and landed some punches that had zero effect on conor.

conan: Pretty much. Mendes was getting smacked around on the feet even when he was fresh in the first round so I have a hard time believing a full training camp would've resulted in him winning that fight although I do think he would've done better and drawn shit out some. Mendes was staggered multiple times before he got that first TD.

You also have to consider that conor was unable to train his wrestling at all. He was training for aldo, so I don't think he was training for a wrestler all that much. I know conor likes to say he trains the same way for everyone. I think that's just his way. conor was injured throughout his camp.

Exactly, conor was smacking mendes around, while mendes did land some punches, but he was lunging big time, catching conor at the end of the punches, which did less than zero damage. conor laughed at his punches.

You seem to have watched a completely different fight than I did. The fight I saw, was conor totally beating chad's ass on the feet. digging in front kicks, spinning back kicks to his body, making him breath heavy after 2 minutes. Straight lefts that were knocking chad back. while conor was even fazed by chad's biggest punches.

2nd round, I saw chat land some good elbows, while I also saw conor land even more elbows from the bottom, making chad wanting no part of it. So he went for a late round sub, but couldn't close the deal. conor got up, fresh as a daisy and preceeded to eliminate chad.

That's the fight I saw...

I meant on the ground, and considering the way judges are scoring TDs, and top control. But I agree with you. based on the shots he was landing,a later ko by the champ would've been just as likely. I'm guessing his gassing led mendes to try to force the sub instead of moving to a better position. It was the sloppy pass that allowed Connor to defend (very technically) so easily and subsequently stand.

Either way, good points.

Him having a "full" training camp is not going to increase his ability to not gas within 2 minutes. .

stopped reading right there.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that athletes are responsible for maintaining their own fucking cardio with or without UFC fight camps. Plenty of amateurs on the fight circuit don't have the money for UFC-level gyms or camps, and they take charge of their personal fitness.

If you're a professional athlete, it's simply what you do. Be ready for when you're called into work. I take grueling, brutal work shifts that make grown men vomit and pass out from exhaustion/dehydration--on short notice--on my days off--all the time, and I stay in shape to be ready for when that happens. It's my job. Mendes has one too.

Back