Mendes Bros split from Atos

Don't see how the atos game is better for a bigger guy (I am 6 foot 3 tall and prefer the AOJ style). Galvaos style works best for being being explosive and stocky. It's simpler stuff so I agree that it can be easier to pick up.

Atos online had a wide variety of technique. They had a bunch of their top competitors doing guest instruction which is/was nice.

AOJ seemed Lazer focused on the probably light or feather and lower game. Mostly reverse dlr, berimbolo, ect.

I haven't subscribed to either in a couple of years to be honest so just going off memory. Things could have changed too.

Edit-. Even the way their competitors were distributed- it seemed like anyone below middle was probably Aoj, above probably Atos.

Apj seems to produce replicas of the mendes bros as supposed to say caio or even andre.

AOJ website used to heavily berimbolo focused, but I would not say that is true now.

I would not say that the techniques are complicated either. Except for berimbolo, AOJ website teaches easy techniques without too many steps.

I would say their techniques require some flexibility and movement. If you are Buchcha or Cyborg big guys it's ok. If your a huge clumsy oaf but use pressure well, it's less for you.

AOJ website used to heavily berimbolo focused, but I would not say that is true now.

I would not say that the techniques are complicated either. Except for berimbolo, AOJ website teaches easy techniques without too many steps.

I would say their techniques require some flexibility and movement. If you are Buchcha or Cyborg big guys it's ok. If your a huge clumsy oaf but use pressure well, it's less for you.

The AOJ style work well if you are lanky.

Last edited:
I honestly thought that the Mendes Bros separated from Atos a while back. My buddy that trains out there told me the 2 groups have trained mostly separately for quite a while now.

Atos online had a wide variety of technique. They had a bunch of their top competitors doing guest instruction which is/was nice.

AOJ seemed Lazer focused on the probably light or feather and lower game. Mostly reverse dlr, berimbolo, ect.

I haven't subscribed to either in a couple of years to be honest so just going off memory. Things could have changed too.

Edit-. Even the way their competitors were distributed- it seemed like anyone below middle was probably Aoj, above probably Atos.
Yeah I recently did a trial for the Atos website and it was pretty sick. Lots of rolling footage from pretty much everyone there and lots of instruction from everyone there. Andre, Hinger, Hulk, the Rutolo twins, Gui, Rafa, and even seminars from dudes like Dean Lister.

The amount of rolling footage is what really stood out. I just can't afford to spend any extra money on training sites at the moment but it's got to be one of the better training sites out there right now.

AOJ has a different curriculum, they have focus on a detailed technical jitsu style why in the Atos HQ they have a roid focused approach with a more variety of simpler techniques.
Lol at roids being a style or technique

Lol at roids being a style or technique

Look how Galvao/Kaynan/Hulk fight. If you are stocky and powerful a different games makes more sense for you. Rather than having a super focused game it makes sens to have a wider variety of guards and do simpler but more varied attacks and finish them with athleticism when necessary rather then complicated things do keep anything controlled.
You also a lot better at jumping around if you are a ball of roids vs a lanky dude.
If you get into intricate situations even significantly less athletic people can outsmart you, if you keep stuff simple like Galvao you can always explode and you maximize the benefits being roided out gives you (simplicity also gives you are lot more variety which is a big tactical advantage).

Look how Galvao/Kaynan/Hulk fight. If you are stocky and powerful a different games makes more sense for you. Rather than having a super focused game it makes sens to have a wider variety of guards and do simpler but more varied attacks and finish them with athleticism when necessary rather then complicated things do keep anything controlled.
You also a lot better at jumping around if you are a ball of roids vs a lanky dude.
If you get into intricate situations even significantly less athletic people can outsmart you, if you keep stuff simple like Galvao you can always explode and you maximize the benefits being roided out gives you (simplicity also gives you are lot more variety which is a big tactical advantage).

Come on. ATOS is probably on roids but so is everybody else. Does Cyborg at age 38 look clean to you? Gordon Ryan? Rodolfo back in the day? Lo? Even folks who don't look to be roiding are roiding like the Miyaos and Braulio Estima.

Saying "ATOS techniques are better for roid balls" relative to others makes no sense. They are all on roids.

Come on. ATOS is probably on roids but so is everybody else. Does Cyborg at age 38 look clean to you? Gordon Ryan? Rodolfo back in the day? Lo? Even folks who don't look to be roiding are roiding like the Miyaos and Braulio Estima.

Saying "ATOS techniques are better for roid balls" relative to others makes no sense. They are all on roids.
Obviously others are on roids too. Btw Braulio was caugh for a pre workout. What I meant is that the strategy and technique of Galvao is heavily optimised to suit his body type.
I guess you could try to fight that way if you do not take roids but you won't be nearly as effective. See how Keenan and Andris don't use techniques from Galvao despite training there for years. The guys on the team that share the body type are having great success with what they are being taught.

this i have weird flexibility like bj penn and hip movement for a bigger guy so i could get away with it but most guys my size have issues with that type stuff

this i have weird flexibility like bj penn and hip movement for a bigger guy so i could get away with it but most guys my size have issues with that type stuff
I am 6 feet 3 and I don't have any issues using AOJ stuff.

I am 6 feet 3 and I don't have any issues using AOJ stuff.
i mean the average person im 6 1 and can move like most 145 ponders i naturally liked bottom game even though when first started i was one of biggest guys at the gym but im not normal

You can scratch your face with your toes?

i mean after all rafa doesnt need andre and if andre wanted money off them d leave too andre galvao isnt rafas coach and i think rafa is the more technical guy and p4p beats him

I don't think any one outside the 4 of them know the arrangement for affiliation. AoJ hasn't used the ATOS name ever as far as I can recall. All they did was enter under the ATOS flag. For most of the big teams, this is the way to make a run at the overall team competitions... law of numbers. To challenge, historically, the likes of Gracie Barra and Alliance.

I don't know about who beats who for sure. We'll never know. I've seen some training between Rafa and Galvao and it was evenly matched but training's training. I think if they were the same size, Rafa would not be able to do a lot of the things that he can do now

i can throw 1 leg behind my head and yes even out of shape with bit of a gut currently i just scratched my face lol

Jesus if you are that tall and can scratch your face with your toes (like bj) you should be world champion. Bj has more than just flexibility, he has dexterity with his flexibility that allows his legs to be used like arms.

Back