Mendes Bros split from Atos

Solidus Snake

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score

Thoughts? Maybe insights from who trains with one or the others? From an external point of view I'm surprised it took so long if anything

Maybe did not want to join Andre's church?

Tired of politics (not as bad as it used to be but still and issue).

There's probably an annual or even monthly fee. Makes sense when they're arguably the best BJJ gym in all of Orange County.

Why would they need anything more than them...

Maybe did not want to join Andre's church?

Tired of politics (not as bad as it used to be but still and issue).

From a outsider, I don't think this was political at all.

At this point in time, AoJ probably feel like they've made a big enough name to stand on their own feet and have their own association. I think they've had their own affiliates outside ATOS since almost day dot.

They probably felt that they are now big enough to do well on their own in competitions. A lot of the time, it's the big associations that rank in tournaments based purely on law of numbers

All about the money and freedom to do what you want. Belonging to an association can often restrict your movements and curriculum depending on assoicaiton. And honestly, AOJ needs NO ONE to legitimatize their lineage or add "presitge" and "certification" to their ranks or students. They stand on their own and in their own class.

Thoughts? Maybe insights from who trains with one or the others? From an external point of view I'm surprised it took so long if anything

fakwk they basically were anyways lol had own gym and logos ect

atos losing guys left and right mendes keenan no team stays strong forever sadly.. to much pride ego and ultimately greed

thats why i love alliance they always have been strong even though tons of guys left. i think over all alliance has had the most impressive team if you count guys who repped them at one point

From a outsider, I don't think this was political at all.

At this point in time, AoJ probably feel like they've made a big enough name to stand on their own feet and have their own association. I think they've had their own affiliates outside ATOS since almost day dot.

They probably felt that they are now big enough to do well on their own in competitions. A lot of the time, it's the big associations that rank in tournaments based purely on law of numbers
i mean after all rafa doesnt need andre and if andre wanted money off them d leave too andre galvao isnt rafas coach and i think rafa is the more technical guy and p4p beats him

All about the money and freedom to do what you want. Belonging to an association can often restrict your movements and curriculum depending on assoicaiton. And honestly, AOJ needs NO ONE to legitimatize their lineage or add "presitge" and "certification" to their ranks or students. They stand on their own and in their own class.

Well other than the fact that the mendez bros dont own the name "aoj" its owned by the rvca guy who built the gym for them.

Well other than the fact that the mendez bros dont own the name "aoj" its owned by the rvca guy who built the gym for them.

People on reddit who train there claim they bought it out.

i mean after all rafa doesnt need andre and if andre wanted money off them d leave too andre galvao isnt rafas coach and i think rafa is the more technical guy and p4p beats him

Ramon Lamos is or was Rafa's coach. It looks like they've been under him their whole career until now.

I would lean toward them not needing to pay for Atos affiliate. They'd been with Lamos for almost 20 years and having them as part of the team built the brand. Who knows.

Wonder what happened?

Last edited:
AOJ has a different curriculum, they have focus on a detailed technical jitsu style why in the Atos HQ they have a roid focused approach with a more variety of simpler techniques.

AOJ has a different curriculum, they have focus on a detailed technical jitsu style why in the Atos HQ they have a roid focused approach with a more variety of simpler techniques.

They just play a smaller mans game and seem to have smaller competitors from what I've seen. Definately not the same curriculum.

I've subscribed to both site and thought Atos was much better for me. Both teams top guys are probably mostly on PED's.

They just play a smaller mans game and seem to have smaller competitors from what I've seen. Definately not the same curriculum.

I've subscribed to both site and thought Atos was much better for me. Both teams top guys are probably mostly on PED's.
Don't see how the atos game is better for a bigger guy (I am 6 foot 3 tall and prefer the AOJ style). Galvaos style works best for being being explosive and stocky. It's simpler stuff so I agree that it can be easier to pick up.

Back