Melvins Chin??

Yung Dilla

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
So alot of people say melvin has a weak chin but he took some really good shots from varner tonight. They were clean shots too.. So weak chin or not?? It seem like shots that shouldn't rock him do and shots that should daze any normal person doesn't..

He has good recovery, that's all but i still think he has potential to get knockouts in the near future.

to me his chin has never been in question but his submission defense is suspect.

It's hard to gauge. Personally I think his biggest problem is composure when he's put in bad spots, whether rocked beforehand or not.

He doesn't have a good chin or a terrible one but certainly not good. He just isn't a Top 10 fighter and that is what burns the most for him im sure. He is very very inconsistent and hasn't beat anyone of note besides Dunham in what 8 years of fighting in the UFC. He talks way to much and then acts humble then freaks out...just a hard guy to cheer for IMO. Again though his chin isn't good or decent. Guys that you don't think would get KO'd do sometimes and the ones you don't think have power sometimes end up KOing dudes that have never been knocked out before ...its a whacky sport.

Guillard has been dropped and hurt by jabs before and more than once...not "normal' if there is such a thing in professional mma.

to me his chin has never been in question but his submission defense is suspect.

Most of his submission losses have came after getting rocked

His chin isn't terrible, it's just not all that great either. The thing about Melvin is that even though he's relatively young, he's had a ton of fights and a lot of gym wear. He may not be old in calendar years, but he has a lot of fighting mileage on the clock. He's one of those guys who is probably older in "fighting years" than his age would indicate.

Varner didn't connect with anything that should've knocked Guillard out, he's still chinny. He did a lot better than I was expecting him to though, mostly I think Varner had an off night.

Varner didn't connect with anything that should've knocked Guillard out, he's still chinny. He did a lot better than I was expecting him to though, mostly I think Varner had an off night.

Compared to what's rocked him before he has he caught a right backed up against the cage caught another one that dropped him but he sprung right back up and was wobbl or anything..

Melvin is a proven journeyman with questionable sub defense and very inconsistent performance; he will never get enough wins for a title shot. No one is arguing or saying anything bad other than that.

his chin confuses me. It looks more like he quits rather than he gets rocked. idk how to explain it

he and leben are soem of the last few "brawler type" fighters to still be in the UFC

I think it's more related to the situations he puts himself in. He goes full speed, toe-to-toe with everyone, and that kinda exposes you.

But Manhoef always brings it and I'd love to see him in the UFC against, say Wanderlei (a bit late though), maybe Lawler encore!

I don't think the cases of him being rocked were because of a bad chin, but rather bad striking defense.

You'd think he would have learned by now not to keep his hands so low.

He's very explosive and athletic but unfortunately that doesn't help his chin or striking defense.

His chin is fine, he has been put out once and that was from a HEAD KICK TO THE TEMPLE followed by a hard punch. That combination from Cerrone puts anyone at LW out.

Back