Melvin Guillard on Conor

And how much money did Melvin bring in for the UFC compared to McGregor? People really don't understand what "compensation" means.

Not everyone can talk shit properly. when mendes and others tried he stutters and looks foolish. Not sure Conor's a genius he is just following tried and true methods of fight promotion. Talk shit and half tune in to see you lose and fans to win. The comparison to Money May isnt right. Money May was a nice quiet guy otherwise known as Pretty Boy Floyd then, and it didnt work for half his career. Yeah he made millions but nothing compared to when he became loud obnoxious "money". Conor started day 1 that way. With both fighters I feel it's an act but only a few can pull it off..

I agree completely. When talking about cringe worthy trash talking, the first person that comes to mind, is the guy in your av. It seems easy to get on the mic and call people out and make fun of them, and portray yourself as the next big thing. But to some people it comes naturally, and to others, you just want them to stop talking.

Maybe if Melvin wasn't inconsistent as hell near the end of his career, he could've got that 60/60 contract.

Now Melvin can't even be bothered to make weight.

Fighters fade after taking so much damage. At one point his record was 10-4 in the UFC before he started to slip. Pretty hard to be consistent at the end of your career in MMA.

Melvin is now 0-2 in Bellator.

Win or lose, Melvin was exciting to watch and people tuned in to see him fight. They should have paid him more than what he made. Why not give him 60/60 for a fight after all those years of going all out and being loyal?

In his defense, Guillard headlined 4 UFC cards and co-headlined another 3, not to mention the main cards he was featured on. He wasn't asking for anything resembling Conor money. 60/60 was not unreasonable by any means. His pay should have raised organically. Maybe he needs a new manager.
Part of that was when he fought too. Pay today is better than it was five years ago when he was headlining, and he wasn't headlining big PPV's.

I feel sorry for many of the guys who fought in earlier eras of MMA (even just a few years ago), many fought for peanuts.

I love Melvin, he was great. He said nothing in this interview to spawn hatred. He is supporting Conor.
I agree with everything he said.

Cocaine is expensive. Not surprised he asked the UFC for more money.

Yes the UFC has historically treated their fighters like shit and grossly underpaid them. I never liked Guillard, he was always all offense zero defense. Over relied on natural handspeed and never really developed his hands. Had a weak chin which only compounded things. But he is right, if you have been top 10 in your weight class you deserve more than $47k guaranteed. However, comparing fighters in their prime now as well as up and coming fighters in the UFC's pay to fighters who were at their apex 5 years ago doesn't make sense. The UFC will continue to pay their fighters more, even if they continue to undercut them as well.

They should have paid him more than what he made. Why not give him 60/60 for a fight after all those years of going all out and being loyal?

Or they could also not. It's business, not some emotionally-fuelled soap opera. Your worth is however much you can negotiate, that's the beginning and the end. You could "give it your all" working for Walmart, that doesn't mean the higher-ups should give 2 craps about you, that's not how billion dollar corporations work. Do you give a crap about the hardships Chinese factory workers who made your electronics are going through? No, you just care about them being as cheap as possible so you can get your electronics at a competitive price.

Do I sense a bit of jealousy? I think so.

Hey Melvin, people who win consistently get paid. People who don't, go to Bellator....and lose.

Maybe if Melvin wasn't inconsistent as hell near the end of his career, he could've got that 60/60 contract.

Now Melvin can't even be bothered to make weight.
It wasn't just the end of his career he was always hot and cold. I'd say he got payed well considering the time he was fighting for the UFC and his level of success in the org

LAST 12 FIGHTS:
3-8 (1NC) - Missed Weight 3 Times.

Pretty exciting fighter, but I can also see why Conor is paid so much.

GuillardRedGlasses.jpg

seven_urkel_02.jpg

Not everyone can talk shit properly. when mendes and others tried he stutters and looks foolish. Not sure Conor's a genius he is just following tried and true methods of fight promotion. Talk shit and half tune in to see you lose and fans to win. The comparison to Money May isnt right. Money May was a nice quiet guy otherwise known as Pretty Boy Floyd then, and it didnt work for half his career. Yeah he made millions but nothing compared to when he became loud obnoxious "money". Conor started day 1 that way. With both fighters I feel it's an act but only a few can pull it off..

His promotion is more Prince Naseem than Floyd imo, and its working.

I'm pleased for him, from the mean streets of crumlin to Vegas penthouses. He's done well.

Was thinking about how everyone is saying that Conor is getting bigger and bigger and he's going to fuck the UFC over, but in reality, the UFC calls ALL the shots. They were doing perfectly fine without him and could go on if he left. He, on the other hand, has nowere to go. He could leave the UFC, gather some attention at Bellator for like two fights and he would be gone from people minds.

Of course the UFC likes the money he is bringing in, but make no mistake, they still hold all the cards.

Am I the only one that kinda feels bad for Melvin? I know he's fucked up his own career but it's just a shame to see all that potential wasted. Seeing him get KOed last night was depressing.

Back