Melvin Guillard Changes Teams & Management Once Again

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
melvin-guillard-knockout-mac-danzig-ufc-on-fox-8.jpg

Shortly after knocking out Mac Danzig at UFC on FOX 7, Melvin Guillard said he would continue to live in Florida but train in Colorado, where he'd prepared for the fight at Grudge Training Center.

Now, it appears Guillard would like to train close to where he rests his head.

A rep for American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Fla., told MMAjunkie.com that Guillard is now training with the team, and also has a new manager.

According to the rep, the new manager, Malki Kawa of First Round Management, inquired this past week about Guillard (31-12-2 MMA, 12-8 UFC) using the famed gym to prepare for an upcoming co-main event with Ross Pearson (15-6 MMA, 7-3 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 30, which takes place Oct. 26 at Manchester Arena in England.

A few days later, Guillard tested out the gym and decided to stay, according to the rep. American Top Team is the home of UFC veterans Gleison Tibau, Cole Miller, Mike Brown, Jorge Masvidal and a host of other top-tier fighters.

The switch is the latest change of scenery for "The Young Assassin," who earlier this year left the Blackzilians and was blocked from coming back to his former team at Jackson-Winkeljohn's MMA in Albuquerque, N.M.

Despite leaving the Blackzilians, Guillard was thought to have retained his management firm, Authentic Sports Management, though his latest move appears to have severed that tie. A rep for ASM could not immediately be reached for comment.

"Everything is great with Grudge and Melvin, but yes he is training at ATT, which he lives right next to," Trevor Wittman, who heads Grudge Training Center, told MMAjunkie.com. "Staying in his hometown is way more cost effective for him."

After his attempt to rejoin Jackson-Winkeljohn's MMA, Guillard moved into a fighter house at Grudge with the permission of Wittman, with whom he'd previously trained. Guillard spoke highly of his experience there and said his focus helped him to defeat Danzig.

Facing rumors of a pink slip, Guillard pounded Danzig, the winner of "The Ultimate Fighter 6," unconscious with hammerfists and earned a $50,000 "Knockout of the Night" bonus, which got him back on the right track after a 1-4 skid.

Guillard also got right with the law after receiving a suspended sentence on a pair of assault charges from 2010 while he was with Jackson-Winkeljohn's MMA.

For more on UFC Fight Night 30, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

BOOK IT. Great action and great hype before the fight

There we go! I thought I'd have a supporter or two. lol It would be a great litmus test for Conor's place in the division too. It has the potential be so 'explosive' that Michael Bay would have to referee it. :cool:

Stuff like this always makes him seem like a headcase and like he's failing to reach his potential but he's entertaining as hell to watch so more power to him.

That last KO was awesome

Never seems to work for him once he changes.

Ross TKO R1.

Eh. Personally, I think Melvin gets the KO. Ross has good striking but he has trouble when his opponent is faster (Cub, Edson). Eventually Melvin catches him and pounces.

Not a bad move. Saving money is always good and ATT is a really good gym.

Not a bad move. Saving money is always good and ATT is a really good gym.

Not a horrible move but the one thing I liked about him being in Colorado was he was literally eating, sleeping and breathing MMA. He slept on a cot in the back of the gym and trained all day. When he wasn't training he was watching tape, etc. He has the maximum amount of focus possible. It seems Florida has far too many distractions for him to focus on his job.

Eh. Personally, I think Melvin gets the KO. Ross has good striking but he has trouble when his opponent is faster (Cub, Edson). Eventually Melvin catches him and pounces.

He didn't have a ton of trouble against Edson. That was a close fight, and either could have won.

He didn't have a ton of trouble against Edson. That was a close fight, and either could have won.

If he didn't win the fight, I'd assume he had a fair amount of trouble. Losses in the past and what I've seen from him just makes me feel he struggles against the faster guy standing.

Not a horrible move but the one thing I liked about him being in Colorado was he was literally eating, sleeping and breathing MMA. He slept on a cot in the back of the gym and trained all day. When he wasn't training he was watching tape, etc. He has the maximum amount of focus possible. It seems Florida has far too many distractions for him to focus on his job.

Yeah I'm not to familiar with him outside the cage but that makes sense and its something I thought of. As long as he keeps the same dedication it'll be a good move but discipline doesn't seem to be one of his strong points.

I love watching Melvin fight, and love the run he had at Jacksons. I just dont see all these changes working for him, he needs to get somewhere(where he can learn sub defense) and stay there. Hopefully this works for him, he can keep his head straight, and get some more wins under his belt.

Interesting, wonder if he wishes he never left Blackzilians.

Interesting, wonder if he wishes he never left Blackzilians.

He has to wish he was never influenced by Rashad to leave Jacksons, when Blackzillians was full of selfish fighters that only cared about themselves, which is the exact reason Rashad left Jacksons, and talked a bunch of guys into going there. That camp is a joke....

He didn't stay at Grudge long at all. Only saw him training a few times and I'm ALWAYS there.

Back