Melvin Guillard: 5 fight win streak, then 1-4 in last 5

Was there ever a reason he left Jackson's? Was it because he just wanted to be with Rashad and live in Florida?

... Um wow

Anyway, Melvin's fight style relies on his confidence. The Lauzon fight took a huge chunk out of that confidence that I dont see him regaining

He lost, but he did a decent job on the ground against Varner. Even used some BJJ.
I think Sperry's tutelage will continue to be a positive thing for Melvin and he may crack the Top 10 at some point in his career.

He went 5-0 with Greg Jackson.

Melvin needs a good trainer, he fights stupidly

Was there ever a reason he left Jackson's? Was it because he just wanted to be with Rashad and live in Florida?

I believe he left Jackson's because he was not getting enough "one on one" time.

How does he not have better TDD? No one in the division should be able to take that guy down.

This for sure. Shocks me every fight that he hasn't improved it especially coming from a camp with someone like Rashad being so heavily involved.

He's a pretty unpredictable fighter as well. He does struggle against top level jiu jitsu guys, but man sometimes Guillard looks so good out there. He's one of those guys who could compete for a title but just doesn't put it all together consistently.

He and Michael Johnson are basically Rashad wannabes, they try so hard to be like Rashad, it's sad.

This.

Guillard's always struggled against stiffer competition. Even his wins over Jeremy Stephens, Gleison Tibau, and Ronys Torres were a bit controversial.

Bingo. He has pretty much never in his 60 professional fights defeated a Top 10 elite LW. Why? B/C he can't.

And so many were claiming Melvin would be the champion.

clementi summed it up

"go practice jujitsu melvin".

Were you drunk when you watched the fight? Varner won that fight and it wasn't even close.

I wasnt drunk at all. I saw melvin stand and trade sometimes getting the better sometimes not. I saw jamie dive for melvins legs a few times and get takedowns that he did nothing with. I saw melvin piece apart jamies legs with power kicks. I thought it was a fantastic fight and either guy could ahve won imo. I had melvin winning but it wasnt a robbery either way. But the way some sherdoggers are acting indignant because they want to seem "informed" is sickening. Varner didnt do anything spectacular or dominate any area of that fight. Because Joe Hogan made that comment every sherdogger has become a champion in mma fair judgeing rights.

He has the weirdest ''chin'' ever he got hurt buy a jab that jlau threw but he took a few of varners hooks and was fine lol shots that seem like they shouldn't hurt him do and shots where he should be at least staggered doesn't even effect him

I wasnt drunk at all. I saw melvin stand and trade sometimes getting the better sometimes not. I saw jamie dive for melvins legs a few times and get takedowns that he did nothing with. I saw melvin piece apart jamies legs with power kicks. I thought it was a fantastic fight and either guy could ahve won imo. I had melvin winning but it wasnt a robbery either way. But the way some sherdoggers are acting indignant because they want to seem "informed" is sickening. Varner didnt do anything spectacular or dominate any area of that fight. Because Joe Hogan made that comment every sherdogger has become a champion in mma fair judgeing rights.

It was a close fight but I can't think of any rounds you could give to Guillard except the 2nd, Varner won.

I thought Melvin won the first round as well. I had it 2-1. Like I said it was a close fight and they are both winners, it was a great fight. Dana loves when guys throw it all on the line. Melvin didnt come in like he did against Stephens, he came to bang and put on a show.

He has never been consistent among the elite. Why would anybody expect it to change now.

6-4 in last ten is ok! He's like a lytle. Not elite but usually entertaining. A true gatekeeper.

Remember when this guy was one fight away from a Lightweight title shot? What the hell happened?

Is it just harder competition? or something else?

He has all the physical abilities in the world but his fight IQ is very poor. And needs to mature as a fighter and person to improve. As a fighter like Fedor has shown, if you are very strong mentally, and fight intelligently you can be very successful. Even if you are not the biggest, strongest, or most athletic. But Melvin refuses to point the finger at himself and look at the areas where he needs to improve. He instead makes excuses for his losses and chalks them up to things like lucky punches.

Back