Melvin Guillard: 5 fight win streak, then 1-4 in last 5

I hope he goes back to win cause I like his fighting style.
Last one was really close.

Melvin started working with Greg Jackson late 2009 / early 2010.

Went on to win 5 in a row. Loses one fight and decides to leave greg jackson.

Has lost 3 / 4 as a blackzillian.

I have to be honest, I thought he won that fight with varner hands down. i dont get how a few takedowns can win you a fight. MElvins leg kicks had more affect on the overall outcome than those takedowns.

i think melvin is the kind of guy who will always have a place in the ufc because he can almost win at any time, and most of his fights are exciting and end in finishes - he fights and goes out on his sword, other times he pulls off big victories, its what he does

hes not the smartest fighter, but lots of fighters dont really fight smart - they just hit hard

Melvin doesn't have low fight I.Q. He reacts fine under pressure(see story of him during Katrina). What it is, is the fact he just not as good as people think he is. That's it. Better fighters beat him. It's like Palhares or even to a lesser extent Mir. Just because there seems to be a tremendous upside doesn't mean there actually is a tremendous upside.

I have to be honest, I thought he won that fight with varner hands down. i dont get how a few takedowns can win you a fight. MElvins leg kicks had more affect on the overall outcome than those takedowns.

you would be a minority, but I can see a 29-28 decision going to him.

why he left jacksons is beyond me
:eek:

One of the most talented guys in the UFC but is also probably the most stupidest as well

The guys just has really pore fight IQ. He finds ways of losing in situations where he is a punch or two from victory. He also can't handle pressure very well, which is apparent in how many rash decisions he makes in the cage when someone is putting the pressure on him. I think if he saw a sports psychologist and really tried to address that obvious problem he would do much better.

I agree. I think his main problem is between his ears.

He is fighting a higher level of competition than he did on his 5 fight winning streak, and the two grapplers that he fought didn't have good enough takedowns to get him on the ground.

Were you drunk when you watched the fight? Varner won that fight and it wasn't even close.

That's Melvin's entire career summed up right there. Look at his record:
Comes into the UFC on a 5 fight win streak, gets submitted by Josh Neer
Wins two by KO, then loses two by submission
Goes on a 3 fight win streak then loses by submission to Nate Diaz
Goes on a 5 fight win streak then loses two in a row by submission
Wins one against so-so competition then loses to a top 20 fighter
That sums up Melvin's career right then, he'll always look impressive against so-so competition, but he never puts it together against anyone in the top 15.

He is fighting a higher level of competition than he did on his 5 fight winning streak, and the two grapplers that he fought didn't have good enough takedowns to get him on the ground.

This.

Guillard's always struggled against stiffer competition. Even his wins over Jeremy Stephens, Gleison Tibau, and Ronys Torres were a bit controversial.

Back