Meltzer: UFC 190 DTV numbers were huge & PPV # could do over 800k when final

DGT4NOW

Red Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
On his overnight audio, Meltzer said that he has no final cable numbers yet, but the Direct TV buys for 190 were huge & blew her last fight out of the water (which did over 600k).

He said that he won't give a number this early, because others run with them even though they are not final, but he said that this could certainly wind up doing over 800k (judging by DTV & some early cable numbers he heard)

He initially said her last fight did around 800K too. It was over 200K less than that. Meltzer doesn't seem to actually have any substantiated numbers, just his guess based on other factors.

Without a judge ordering it, we will never see the real PPV buy numbers.

On his overnight audio, Meltzer said that he has no final cable numbers yet, but the Direct TV buys for 190 were huge & blew her last fight out of the water (which did over 600k).

He said that he won't give a number this early, because others run with them even though they are not final, but he said that this could certainly wind up doing over 800k (judging by DTV & some early cable numbers he heard)

The implication I got from his statement was that it would be over 900k.

Honda is a draw. More than that, biggest star in the sport right now.

Ronda is the biggest star in the UFC.

no
mcg-4-310x415.jpg

He initially said her last fight did around 800K too. It was over 200K less than that.

That never happened ... not even close
His first numbers were actually lower than his final 600k

That never happened ... not even close
His first numbers were actually lower than his final 600k

800K was the number all over this forum until that 590K buys was released. Point being, these numbers are not substantiated.

doesn't suprise me. Ufc 190 was an aweful card but it had ronda. I said atleast 500k but probably much more. She is a massive draw to casuals. Her and Mcgregoat on the same card would probably do well over 1.2 mil if they advertised it heavily

8BNzaER.jpg

Can someone shoop dollar signs on Dana's eyes?

800K was the number all over this forum until that 590K buys was released. Point being, these numbers are not substantiated.

That is not a number he released (please show me where he said 184 did over 800k) & his numbers do get proven correct.
He also said it did over 600k finally ... others ran with 590k
He did WWE PPV from the same sources & their numbers were public ... this gets said over & over

He initially said her last fight did around 800K too. It was over 200K less than that. Meltzer doesn't seem to actually have any substantiated numbers, just his guess based on other factors.

Without a judge ordering it, we will never see the real PPV buy numbers.

Never saw Meltzer say the last RR fight was 800k. His first report was under Silva/Diaz which was 650k. Unless I missed one of his estimates.

Never saw Meltzer say the last RR fight was 800k. His first report was under Silva/Diaz which was 650k. Unless I missed one of his estimates.

You didn't
Either the poster is confused or someone took Meltzers numbers wrong.

So many people talking about Rousey vs. Bethe the next day. She's a star.

That is not a number he released (please show me where he said 184 did over 800k) & his numbers do get proven correct.
He also said it did over 600k finally ... others ran with 590k
He did WWE PPV from the same sources & their numbers were public ... this gets said over & over

You started the thread DGT, he said it was bigger than Silva-Diaz and that was estimated at the time to have done 700-750K later revised down to 650, with 184 doing 60K less. Anyone on this forum should remember that everyone was saying 184 did over 800K buys until that 590 number was released.

There is nothing solid about the numbers that Meltzer releases. His own estimates, nothing more.

You started the thread DGT, he said it was bigger than Silva-Diaz and that was estimated at the time to have done 700-750K later revised down to 650, with 184 doing 60K less. Anyone on this forum should remember that everyone was saying 184 did over 800K buys until that 590 number was released.

There is nothing solid about the numbers that Meltzer releases. His own estimates, nothing more.

You mean this?
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/meltzer-early-indicators-184-direct-tv-info-2953041/

While it’s too early to get PPV numbers, early indications based on the DirecTV numbers blew away even the most optimistic expectations. The early numbers were said to be far ahead of any Rousey singularly headlined fight in the past. It’s virtually a lock this will break the all-time record for a show headlined by a woman’s fight that the Rousey vs. Liz Carmouche fight did (450,000 buys), and could double the majority of pre-show estimates. I was told DirecTV numbers were roughly identical to the 1/31 show

That doesn't say more than 800k & again his final numbers do get substantiated. WWE is a public company!

He also CLEARLY stated (as did I) that these are/were just DTV numbers

These are the threads I can find. DGT says:
While numbers will fall well short of the Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier fight (which was 800k)

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/meltzer-early-indicators-184-direct-tv-info-2953041/

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/ufc-184-ppv-buys-2953781/

UFC should really have Rhonda headline all the cards with smaller guys and or foreign guys seeing as how she can sell anything.

Meltzer: UFC 184 did between 500-600K PPV buys (final number to come). This makes Ronda the biggest active draw in the company.

Preliminary reports indicate a strong UFC 184 buy rate
March 11, 2015
The Wrestling Observer indicates that UFC 184 drew an estimated 500,000 to 600,000 PPV buys. The preliminary report underscores the great start the UFC has had this year as well as the drawing power of Ronda Rousey.
UPDATED: In its 3/12 podcast, Meltzer indicated that the numbers reflect that UFC 184 will do more PPV buys than UFC 183.
Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez first discussed the initial numbers during their March 5, 2015 podcast (subscription recommended).

If the initial buys for UFC 184 which featured Ronda Rousey versus Cat Zingano in the main event, the UFC will have one of the best starts of a year in PPV.
UFC 182: 800,000 PPV buys
UFC 183: ~600,000-700,000 PPV buys
UFC 184: ~500,000-600,000 PPV buys

http://mmapayout.com/2015/03/preliminary-reports-indicate-a-strong-ufc-184-buy-rate/

Pay special attention to the red, the update says that his initial estimate was low and the actual rate was higher.

So he said 500-600k, then updated it to MORE than what 183 did, which was 600-700k. So 590,000 is wrong; it was more like 700,000.

You are really wrong, bub.

Back