Meltzer: Nunes offered Tate fight

I think the UFC fan base killed the Ronda/Tate fight. Nobody wants to see it... alot of people were pissed when it was "announced"... I get that Tate probably deserves it by ranking, wins, etc. but I hate the third fight when someone has dominated the first two. She should be moving down a weight class or just keep winning and hoping Ronda loses.

Now everyone is mad that they switched it up. Can't please everyone. I've really wanted the Holm/Rousey match up, but Holly hasn't really performed that well in her 2 wins. It's a shame she wasn't able to pull off a dominant victory or good TKO win so there would be a little more hype involved.

I think the best route would be to give Ronda a few months off. Holly vs Nunes for #1 contender match. Tate vs Cat 2 or maybe the Tate/Cyborg catchweight.

Tate avenges the Cat loss or kills the Cyborg hype train, then there would be more hype vs Ronda. Just my 2 cents

False narrative.

R3 was on board to fight Tate up until the UFC changed their minds.

I call BS on that.
Ronda has obvious pull
She wanted an undeserving Bethe & got her
If she was 'on board" it would still be Tate

I think the UFC fan base killed the Ronda/Tate fight. Nobody wants to see it... alot of people were pissed when it was "announced"...

The Cain announcement was worse & that fight is still happening

He then gave his opinion which is pretty similar to mine that it was a mistake to treat Tate the way they did & that the Dana comment that "everyone seen Tate vs Ronda" is not really true, because very few of the new Ronda crown has seen the SF match & a large portion of her current fanbase did not live through the last fight from 2 years ago.

Well his opinion is completely idiotic which is par for the course with senile Dave.

The first two fights were not fights, they showed that Tate is an average fighter who simply was the best of a mediocre bunch of girls that has since gotten better due to the UFC promoting the womans product.

Tate has NOTHING for Rousey and putting on a third fight is just making a mockery of your fans. While the UFC is certainly not above that give Holm the title shot makes so much sense its laughable that people dont understand it.

You have the best striker ever in the womans division going against the best grappler in the womans division.

She was 33-2-3 as a boxer, and is now 9-0 in MMA.

She deserves it more than some Brazilian woman who has been training for 3 years or some mediocre wrestler who has been destroyed by Rousey twice already.

But again lets listen to idiot Meltzer instead.

So for those who don't know why the change from Ronda's side it's simple.

Ronda v Tate 3 would be the first fight in Ronda's career where she had no significant upside. If she doesn't do something spectacular against an opponent she has beaten twice it could be seen as a disappointment in certain circles. Ronda doesn't care and just wants to fight (and was fine to fight Meisha again) but I can tell you that her camp is and was completely against this rematch unless there is literally no other option.

Now she has a marketable fight against an opponent that can be sold as a champion boxer and undefeated. Say what you will about her and them but the people who run her career have made good move after good move

Somewhere Cain Velasquez is wondering why nobody took this stance for him

I think it was a combination of things that led to the change & unfortunately Tate got caught in the middle.

...wrong place, wrong time...it happens...

I also firmly believe the UFC will do right by her & give her a shot at UFC 200 (provided she wins vs Nunes or whomever they line her up with)

I disagree
Tate is far more popular & has a build in story & rivalry
The story of Ronda's dreaded rival & the only one to get out of the first round gets one last chance is far easier to sell than Holm

Tate vs Ronda outdraws Holm easily

Completely disagree. With this much marketing time Ronda v holm definitely outsells the other match

With casuals it won't even be close

Tate is faaaaaaaaar more popular than any other woman fighter not named Ronda Rousey.

The UFC knows this. Hence, another win for Miesha sets up the REALLY big $ fight at UFC 200 & a loss gets Nunes a ton of exposure for a potential fight vs Ronda.

In regards to popularity...

Ronda
-
-
-
-
Miesha
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
everyone else

Talk about a no win situation for Tate. If she loses, Nunes takes her spot. If she wins, she beat somebody that Alexis Davis, Cat Zingano and Sarah D'Alelio (eek) already beat. There's no advancement there.

She'd be better of taking a fight where she could avenge a past loss (Kaufman or Zingano) or even fighting Cyborg - which is a win-win no matter the result and a huge opportunity for advancement.

Thank you. I said that it would make perfect sense if Tate fought Cyborg and that the Nunes fight made no sense and I have been laughed at and treated like crap for being a white belt lol. I am glad I am not the only one who feels the way I do.

THis is the fight to make, either Nunes or Holm should get the shot, well all 3 of them deserve it in a way. They went with Holm so this is the natural move here

Ronda v Tate 3 would be the first fight in Ronda's career where she had no significant upside. If she doesn't do something spectacular against an opponent she has beaten twice it could be seen as a disappointment in certain circles. Ronda doesn't care and just wants to fight (and was fine to fight Meisha again) but I can tell you that her camp is and was completely against this rematch unless there is literally no other option.

Now she has a marketable fight against an opponent that can be sold as a champion boxer and undefeated. Say what you will about her and them but the people who run her career have made good move after good move

Every once in a while on this board, someone smart says something smart amidst all the idiocy.

DaGenius shows his genius here, nice post.

Talk about a no win situation for Tate. If she loses, Nunes takes her spot. If she wins, she beat somebody that Alexis Davis, Cat Zingano and Sarah D'Alelio (eek) already beat. There's no advancement there.

She'd be better of taking a fight where she could avenge a past loss (Kaufman or Zingano) or even fighting Cyborg - which is a win-win no matter the result and a huge opportunity for advancement.

I dont see at such for a few reasons. Nunes has one defeat in the UFC to Cat who beat both Nunes and Tate by TKO. Nunes is 4-1 and her last 2 wins are impressive. If were looking at the time of the fight in Jan, her defeats come 3 years, and 4 1/2 years prior. In wmma most of the top fighters are around 10-15 fights which means they are still improving fight to fight. So Tate is certainly beating a better version of Nunes and on a good streak, she's never fought her yet. Nunes was the one being talked about for a title shot next so its the fight to take if she wants Ronda.

A win over Overeem, Bader or Machida right now are still good wins despite them losing several times to other current top 10 fighters.

And this is the part of the mma business that fans have to understand, many of them don't and that's why there is crying over title shots. There is more to making a fight then just ranking and winning streak. The politics of the match making, it's part of the sport and it always will be. It's not the wrong way or the right way, but it's just the way its done.

I could have seen the fight go to Meisha, Nunes or Holm. They could have justified all 3 of those fights and they are all deserving in a way. But they go with what has the most benefit.

Time after time after time again...

People keep on doubting / underestimate Tate lol. She's going to unleash her frustration onto this Nunes chick. Then after she wins, maybe everyone can stop fucking with her and give her a fair shake.

Every once in a while on this board, someone smart says something smart amidst all the idiocy.

DaGenius shows his genius here, nice post.

Many thanks sir but I can't take too much credit. This post comes from my convo with a friend who is as they say on ESPN "close to the situation"

Back