Meltzer 189/190 numbers (so far) & 189 adjusted lower

The only bad news is that 190 stunk so bad that they may well have lost some of that momentum.

I wouldn't bet on that. The media buzz post-fight was even bigger than post 184 and that translated into a 40%-50% bump in PPV buys.

My money is on Rousey at least matching and possibly exceeding UFC 190 on her next card. She hasn't gone anywhere near the sort of media saturation that you would expect prior to a fighter popularity decline.

My personal feeling is that Rousey is entering "event television" territory ala Tyson or Jordan. People are tuning in just so that they can say that they saw it.

If you'd asked me a week ago I would have said Conor. Right now, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that it's either a co-main or Rousey headlines it.

Rousey's just too much of a star right now for the UFC to NOT put her on as at least a co-main.

Let's put it this way... during the pre-fight media scrum, who do you think gets more reporters and interviews? I don't think it will be Conor...

I'd bet it'd be pretty even, but they have a slightly different audience, Ronda would get the TMZ and non MMA novelty factor reporters but Conor will have the majority of the MMA journalists.

I don't see it as a competition, Conor is a MMA superstar and Ronda is a Celebrity.

Estimates are estimates. They change over time as more information comes in. Until the "final estimates" are in, you have to take everything with a grain of salt, and even then, they are still estimates based on the best available information.

No conspiracy required, bro.

You didn't get my sarcasm.
It's sherdog I know ppl are stupid but i was being sarcastic.
I believe Meltzers Estimates are accurate.

I was just having a go at the ppl that discount his reporting when he reports large numbers.

Even if the numbers did 800k to 850k, that's still a great number that the UFC can be happy about. Jones, Conor, and Ronda have the best ppv's this year because of the promotion created, not only by the UFC, but also because of their opponents.

Jones had Cormier and the brawl that created buzz for UFC 182. Conor had Aldo and the world tour where each went back and forth, creating buzz for UFC 189. Even when Aldo fell out, commercials where still running showing Aldo/Conor fighting in some areas. Finally, Ronda had Betch and lets face it, Betch had no chance in the world but she created interest for the fight by talking about Ronda and her family. It's simple, create interest and the fans will purchase the product.

I wouldn't bet on that. The media buzz post-fight was even bigger than post 184 and that translated into a 40%-50% bump in PPV buys.

My money is on Rousey at least matching and possibly exceeding UFC 190 on her next card. She hasn't gone anywhere near the sort of media saturation that you would expect prior to a fighter popularity decline.

My personal feeling is that Rousey is entering "event television" territory ala Tyson or Jordan. People are tuning in just so that they can say that they saw it.

Yeah, I don't so much mean it will hurt her future numbers but the people who decided to buy their first event with 189 seen MMA at it's best and likey bought 190 expecting the same, but they may not buy 191 after such a poor event(not Ronda's fault, she did her part)

I'd bet it'd be pretty even, but they have a slightly different audience, Ronda would get the TMZ and non MMA novelty factor reporters but Conor will have the majority of the MMA journalists.

I don't see it as a competition, Conor is a MMA superstar and Ronda is a Celebrity.

There's a LOT more mainstream journalists than MMA journalists. When media in Pakistan and Zimbabwe are publishing stories about Rousey, you KNOW that she's big.

I kid you not...

http://www.breakingnewspak.com/martial-arts-rousey-eyes-global-superstardom/
http://www.zimbabwenation.com/news/...at-body-shamers-who-called-her-masculine.html

No, he didn't He has more access to numbers Meltzer. Meltzer is only estimating.

Nobody has accurate and complete numbers at this stage. Not the UFC, not anybody. They take the numbers they do have and estimate the rest, just like Meltzer does.

Is anyone else worried that the UFC might be doing really poorly right now? When you've been in the business game long enough you can see that with no official comments from the UFC and having other outlets tell how great the UFC is that a problem is brewing or they are trying to create buzz.

I'm in the minority here but I don't think UFC 189 and 190 did more than 500-600,000 each. Basically what the UFC PR team is doing is creating/building the buzz, the must see attraction for the next time McGreggor and Ronda fight. They are creating the if everyone else is watching, I should watch to see what I'm missing factor.

Nobody has accurate and complete numbers at this stage. Not the UFC, not anybody. They take the numbers they do have and estimate the rest, just like Meltzer does.

Thank you
It was getting monotonous to post that every 5 post.

i totally understand that most don't know how the inner-workings are in the PPV industry & why it works that way, but it gets played out that some assume they do or some don't bother to scroll to see the actual info.

:icon_chee

How can the company putting the PPV on not have the information by now? And how can McGregor have been so specific with what previous PPV numbers it beat (Mayweather/Marquez)

There's a LOT more mainstream journalists than MMA journalists. When media in Pakistan and Zimbabwe are publishing stories about Rousey, you KNOW that she's big.

I kid you not...

http://www.breakingnewspak.com/martial-arts-rousey-eyes-global-superstardom/
http://www.zimbabwenation.com/news/...at-body-shamers-who-called-her-masculine.html

Agreed, Ronda is more of a celebrity than Conor but I believe Conor is a bigger MMA Star if you know what I mean.

I look at like this, I'm a big football fan, if you asked a 1000 football fans who they'd have rather watched, Beckham or Zidane when they both playing i'd bet 900+ would say Zidane.

But if you had asked 1000 non football fans the same question I think 900+ would have choose Beckham as they are exposed and attracted to the celebrity aspect more.

They are both great for the sport and I'm really glad they are both breaking out in a huge way, but for me as an MMA fan Conor is a lot bigger, but I guess that is very subjective.

Is anyone else worried that the UFC might be doing really poorly right now? When you've been in the business game long enough you can see that with no official comments from the UFC and having other outlets tell how great the UFC is that a problem is brewing or they are trying to create buzz.

I'm in the minority here but I don't think UFC 189 and 190 did more than 500-600,000 each. Basically what the UFC PR team is doing is creating/building the buzz, the must see attraction for the next time McGreggor and Ronda fight. They are creating the if everyone else is watching, I should watch to see what I'm missing factor.

Would you like some tin foil to go with that hat?

Your logic would make a lot of sense if you had correct info to base it on man

Meltzer's numbers have nothing to do with UFC hype/promotion/etc.
He is someone who has reported on PPV for three decades & the history of reporting has shown him to be very accurate (WWE is a public company).
His figures & reporting are not related to Zuffa in any way.
He reports the 100k MM PPV buys as well :cool:

800k, so did the UFC even break even on the event given how much was spent on 189?

800k, so did the UFC even break even on the event given how much was spent on 189?

It's hard to say. They spent a LOT.

If you believe Dana they needed close to 1M buys to break even on promo costs after pay outs. If that's true Dana isn't crazy about the results. 800K is respectable for the money spent, but it's nothing to make you jump out of your seat.

On the other hand, if Dana was exaggerating (Say it ain't so!) then I'm sure they did okay.

Now the figures look right for 189. I knew it didn't do anywhere near 1 mil. I'm tryna tell ya.

I will do a very broad breakdown
825k in buys = $24 million (about) to Zuffa
Add in the gate at about $7m & that means $31m before expenses

They definitely made money.

As others said, Dana was very tongue-in-cheek when he said they needed 1m buys to break even

How can the company putting the PPV on not have the information by now? And how can McGregor have been so specific with what previous PPV numbers it beat (Mayweather/Marquez)

It has been explained several times. UFC does not sell the PPVs. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of cable companies, and they don't drop everything they're doing to provide up to date numbers for the UFC or anybody else. Some may provide numbers after a week, some on a set date of the month.

Back