Meltzer 189/190 numbers (so far) & 189 adjusted lower

Does anyone know why it takes a month to get accurate PPV buy figures? Seems ridiculous to me that it takes that long.

So Connor lied about 189's million ppv buys in his tweet?

Or he was going by the info that skewed higher numbers
In some areas it looked bigger than in others.
I can see Dana telling him "Dude it looks like we beat 1m" & Conor bragging it did.

The only UFC fighter I ever seen say Meltzer's numbers were off was Chael. He said all his PPV's were higher (but not by a lot) - then again that is Chael

Dana & Meltzer have went at it before. If all of Meltzer's 200k & lower numbers didn't make Dana rip him a new one than you know his figures are in the ballpark.

Anyone who believed 189 did a million PPV buys should be bridge shopping. It was corrected down to 800k here and I still, truly do not believe that number.

Conor is a lot of fun, but he's a hardcore fan phenomenon. I have yet to meet another human in the flesh who has any idea who he is. I've not heard one soul talk about him or the event.

You literally cannot escape Rousey. Turn on your TV, radio or open your browser and she's all over everything.

I don't watch (or enjoy) WMMA but the mainstream cross over of RR is unmistakable. She's officially ensconced in pop culture.

He might not have been lying per se versus being overzealous. That may have been the preliminary data that he took as gospel.

Meltzer said the data was very erratic as it was very area specific. For example, I could see Boston displaying extremely high numbers, while mid west or west coast cities might not have cared at all. That's why it's dangerous to take too much from the preliminary data. For example you typically have 45%-50% carry over from prelims to PPV, but that number can be all over the place.

For example, UFC 184 had a 50% retention rate. Mighty Mouse had an 18% retention rate. The highest numbers are up in the 60's to 70's.

If Rousey cleared 1M buys, she's hitting 65-70% retention rate which would put her among the highest carry overs in recent memory.

Wouldn't UFC and Connor have the exact PPV numbers? I don't think they rely on Meltzer's guesstimation to know how much product they sold.

Does anyone know why it takes a month to get accurate PPV buy figures? Seems ridiculous to me that it takes that long.

Explained a million times.

It even takes WWE over a month & they are public.

Different companies release their data at different times

DTV seems to do theirs in a week or so.
Some cable companies do it in same time span & some might wait until a certain day (lets say the 1st) to release theirs

So Meltzer gets the info he gets and projects what the others might do % wise.
When he gets final figures, he gives his final number

PPV is not one company, if it was then it would be easier.

Anyone who believed 189 did a million PPV buys should be bridge shopping. It was corrected down to 800k here and I still, truly do not believe that number.

Conor is a lot of fun, but he's a hardcore fan phenomenon. I have yet to meet another human in the flesh who has any idea who he is. I've not heard one soul talk about him or the event.

You literally cannot escape Rousey. Turn on your TV, radio or open your browser and she's all over everything.

I don't watch (or enjoy) WMMA but the mainstream cross over of RR is unmistakable. She's officially ensconced in pop culture.

I wouldn't argue that Ronda is, in a broad sense, more popular than anybody else in MMA. The question is how well does that popularity compel people to pay $60 and stay up until midnight to watch a performance that will be all over Facebook the next morning?

So the bottom line is that Ronda is who we thought she was...a stone cold draw and the face of the UFC.

Yes it's crazy to say but it seems true

Wouldn't UFC and Connor have the exact PPV numbers? I don't think they rely on Meltzer's guesstimation to know how much product they sold.

Nobody gets them that fast
As I explained in a post after this, even WWE waited over a month for exact numbers

They wouldn't have exact numbers on the night of the event.

You have same time sales and then you have repeat showings. And then you have major operators reporting, then lots of local operators reporting. Then you have things like digital media PPV's like Youtube reporting.

And not all of them tally their numbers immediately after every event. It might be weekly, bi-weekly or monthly. Cable providers aren't operating to the same clocks as the UFC so their internal reporting will be designed around their own accounting needs.

When they report an event on the same night, it's always a rough estimation based upon some general metrics that point to a number with a huge fudge factor. That's why Dana always says it's "trending towards" XXX buys instead of an actual number.

It's only after the real numbers are in that the UFC would cut a check to Conor or Rousey.

I wouldn't argue that Ronda is, in a broad sense, more popular than anybody else in MMA. The question is how well does that popularity compel people to pay $60 and stay up until midnight to watch a performance that will be all over Facebook the next morning?

According to Dave Meltzer, a lot.

By "a lot" I mean more than any other MMA fighter currently signed and active.

I didn't purchase UFC 190 and I have skipped most cards headlined by WMMA because I simply do not follow WMMA.

Suffice to say when you have tens of millions of fans, it's easier to build up a PPV base.

Nobody gets them that fast
As I explained in a post after this, even WWE waited over a month for exact numbers

They wouldn't have exact numbers on the night of the event.

You have same time sales and then you have repeat showings. And then you have major operators reporting, then lots of local operators reporting. Then you have things like digital media PPV's like Youtube reporting.

And not all of them tally their numbers immediately after every event. It might be weekly, bi-weekly or monthly. Cable providers aren't operating to the same clocks as the UFC so their internal reporting will be designed around their own accounting needs.

When they report an event on the same night, it's always a rough estimation based upon some general metrics that point to a number with a huge fudge factor. That's why Dana always says it's "trending towards" XXX buys instead of an actual number.

Oh okay. Thanks, now I understand.

I think Conor got PPV% for that last fight, so he probably has a good idea....

What's more mind-boggling to me is the Conor card was actually decent, and the Ronda card was pretty stretched out with old guys, cans, and nobodys lol. I guess the PPV buying public is dumber then shit.

Oh okay. Thanks, now I understand.

Trust, I get the fact that in the digital age it would seem to be immediate, but there are so many different numbers coming in that need to be added up.

UFC knows exactly what they did on UFC.com, but Comcast & others do what they do on their clock.
They could hold off a number until last minute in order to keep the % that UFC will get in their bank longer collecting interest.
I remember when ECW almost went bankrupt in the 90's.
The PPV company they went through did not pay them for over 6 months (after the PPV aired) & they were told that they won't pay until all cable companies paid them first.

What's more mind-boggling to me is the Conor card was actually decent, and the Ronda card was pretty stretched out with old guys, cans, and nobodys lol. I guess the PPV buying public is dumber then shit.

Conor got a HUGE PPV cut, but he won't see that for months.
If WWE had to wait 6 weeks or more for definite numbers, Conor would lol

The public taste is always different than those who are hard core enthusiasts.

Just look at movies or television. Critics kill something that everyone wants to watch, or love something that nobody cares about. Sports are similar. Hardcore basketball fans loved the San Antonio Spurs but for years went under the radar as far as sports.

Just accept that there's different types of fans and as much as we get worked up in the MMA bubble as far as the UFC and the athletes are concerned everyone's money still spends the same.

UFC said it did over a 1 million Meltzer only knows the cable buys though , I could easily see another 150k buying it through xbox, fight pass, or just watching it at the movies.

UFC said it did over a 1 million Meltzer only knows the cable buys though , I could easily see another 150k buying it through xbox, fight pass, or just watching it at the movies.

I get what you are going for, but the movie thing (& bars) are not included in the figures
The last time Meltzer addressed the website/Xbox buys, he said history showed they are a very small %.
From past history & being a Meltzer subscriber, I am thinking he figures a historic % of online/xbox buys in his final figures.
That is why never say a figure like 823,457 buys. He will say "about 800-825k"

Since the UFC would nnot even know the exact number (when Conor said that), he was most likely going by the same high numbers that Meltzer heard

I'm thinking it's a snowball thing. Rousey's fights have combined with her schedule and event releases almost perfectly.

16s Davis win (huge splash)
14s Zingano win in LA, fastest time ever (even bigger splash)

Wrestlemania 31 appearance
Multiple city book and media tour and NYT best seller list
Fast and Furious 7 release (1Bn box office)
Entourage move release (poor box office but lots of media coverage)

In other words, Rousey has managed to get people's attention in the media with her wins, then timed it perfectly with her book tour, WM appearance and movie launches in order to maximize her ability to stay in the public eye.

Now toss in the trash talk leading up to UFC 190 and her appearances on mainstream media outlets to promote the fight and you have the recipe for a juggernaut.

Rousey is basically running a perfect self-promotion campaign combined with attention grabbing fight results.

Rousey and her team at WME could teach a clinic to the rest of the UFC roster on how to self-promote.
The funny thing is, her quick fights also happen to work in her favor, at times. They end in either violent fashion, or some cool judo move into a slick sub. They also fit into bite-sized chunks, which perfectly suit the attention span of people who are curious about MMA, but couldn't bother to sit through 15-25 minutes worth of a fight.

Ronda is by far a bigger mainstream personality than Conor.
No knock on Conor, what he has done in the last year to become a star is amazing.
Agreed. Considering the relatively new entry of women into MMA, and Conor earning a space for the smaller weight classes, it's good to see success at these levels. Hats off to both of them.

its crazy casuals would rather watch a squash match in a weak division more than anything else the ufc offers.
I don't think the UFC cares. Casuals offer time, attention, money, and won't hold any prejudice over who the opponent is. If I were running the UFC, I'd be all over that action.

They're the best way to grow into new markets, and quite frankly, I don't know why anyone would have a problem with them. Casual Irish fans (among others) jumped on the McGregor train, and Rousey also scooped up her fair share. That's just good business.

Well conor has a change of opponent and aldo pulling out killed the fight for me.

That being said how the hell u do 300k buy rate with mcmann,and 1m +with bethe i have no idea .

Guess people just buying into the ronda effect right now

sounds like it's just a steady rise in popularity. brock was an anomaly since he came from the wwe.

Back