Melendez: Benson needs to beat me to be #1

MMAfanWA

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Strikeforce LW champion Gilbert Melendez (21-2) says Benson Henderson (18-2) has to go through him to prove he

I think it would be an awesome fight and Benson would have his hands full with Gil. But I want to see Bendo vs Pettis II first :icon_chee

No. He doesn't.

If anyone he needs to beat Pettis and then Edgar again to completely solidify that he is number one.

Pretty sure Gilbert has to go through Benson to be considered #1...

Dude has it ass backwards.

No. He doesn't.

If anyone he needs to beat Pettis and then Edgar again to completely solidify that he is number one.

No way, Frankie makes the fight boring, don't want to see another decision from them two. And he'll be KTFO by Jose anyway

I think Gil is finally getting frustrated with the fact that he's not a common name among MMA fans. That said, I still think he would lose to at least a couple '55ers in the UFC's roster.

No he doesn't. I don't see how Melendez is more impressive than the top lightweights currently in the UFC. I don't think he'd make top five.

Because having a split decision win over josh thomson makes you #1, along with beating the likes of Masvidal and kawajiri

Thats debatable but i don't really care, i'd love to see bendo smash gil.

Lol, did Melendez watch his own last fight?

What was wrong with his last fight? It was a competitive and exciting battle against one of the most underrated lightweights ever. Josh Thompson is no joke, I can see him giving even some of the top UFC LW's some fits.

That said, I don't agree with Melendez - though I wouldn't seeing that match up either down the road.

Melendez' logic here is brilliant, of course.

i completely disagree but i do think the fight shuld happen

Back